Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 12-09-2009, 08:34 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 745i
Alternator harness problem

I had my alternator rebuilt and picked it up yesterday. They put in new bearings and new voltage regulator. My prob is the harness from the car doesn't match the grooves on the new voltage regulator. They are exactly opposite.

I could do 1 of 2 things. I could cut the hood / outter part off of the plug from the car, turn the plug 180 degrees and the grooves would allign and it would slip all the way down; or, 2) I could file down the grooves on the plug and put the plug in facing the way it is supposed to go.

My concern is, could the regulator be reversed of the old one, hence the grooves are the important safety check, rather than the outter hood of the plug? And also, what happens if the wire (there's only one from the car in that plug) went on the wrong of the two terminals from that regulator?

If anyone has any experience in this it would be a great help! I called the alternator shop and he did some checking and thinks the plug should go the way the last one did and the grooves need to go bye bye, but he's not certain. He also didn't think it would hurt if the wire ended up on the wrong terminal - that likely the alternator just wouldn't work and I'd get a battery light inside in which case I'd flip the connection

Thanks everyone for thoughts , ideas, or other help!
Advertisement
Old 12-09-2009, 11:57 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2002 745i 116k
So you had the electric instead of the watercooled? You lucked out having a 2002!

Take some pictures and post on here. It will help others see what your referring too.
Old 12-09-2009, 12:44 PM

No, it's the water-cooled bosch. I have some pics i'll put up..

Also, waiting on water pump to come in at o'rilley today. If anyone out there is changing the alternator, the water pump is only about an extra hour of work.. When I was under the car I noticed antifreeze behind the pump eventhough I hadn't really noticed any under the car.
Old 12-09-2009, 12:58 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 745i 116k
Where did you have your alternator rebuilt. I called around to some shops around my area specializing in Bosch and they said the watercooled ones could not be rebuilt. I'll have my extra rebuilt as a spare.
Old 12-09-2009, 01:19 PM

I'm in Dallas and I had it rebuilt at Richardson Generator (972) 234-8145. Keif on the forum lives in Houston and had his rebuilt as well. Total cost of mine was 156 and change and I think Keith's was right around $200 bucks... I called around and there were 2 shops here that said they could rebuilt it. A few others said no-way. The alternator shop I took it to has already done another one this week.

Nice work on the cross-over pipe DIY, by the way!
Old 12-09-2009, 01:20 PM
Master Tinkerer

Mein Auto: 2007 Alpina B7
Mine is water cooled as well and had a bunch of stuff in mine fixed by the closest alternator shop (i.e. nobody special). Yip...mine was $204 but needed a good bit more work done. Houston Alternator on Shepherd.

Black 2007 Alpina B7
Tension strut bushings

White 2007 Alpina B7
Supercharger clutch/bearings, replaced exhaust valve/pulled head, sunroof seal, 6000K angel eyes

Black 2002 BMW 745Li (sold)
KW v3's, blue angel eyes, 8000K headlights & HID fogs, rebuilt alternator & mounting bracket gasket, sunroof seal, CCVs, plugs, sway bar bushings, timing & valve cover gaskets, valve stem seals, guibo joint, mechatronic sealing sleeve, trans fluid, sanded headlights...
Old 12-11-2009, 08:21 AM

Howdy.. So, I put everything back together last night and when I was filling the radiator I heard WATER flowing on the floor. Ug.. I had to remove the radiator shroud, fan, belts, pulley, etc - ug.. I used blue silicon on all my stuff, too. Well, I didn't use 2 of the 0 rings and the leak was coming from one of the little pipes. There are 3. One goes to the alternator housing and 2 go in towards the engine. The one that was leaking has an 0-ring that actually gets seated inside the water pump and it looks way too big, which is why i didn't use it. I originally thought it was included by mistake, Put all back together, fired it all up, and purrs like a kitten! This morning I see 2 little spots - both about the size of a quarter - one pentosin and one coolant. After I drove around the block I came back and had a pentosin leak from the active steering. I had disconnected one of the vent tubes and when I put it back on I didn't get the compression fitting tight. So, maybe that was just some residual fluid? Maybe the same with the coolant? Now the alternator... I had to cut the outter plastic on both the regulator as well as the plug. The grooves weren't the same even flip flopped. I hooked up a wire from the alternator and a wire from the harness and put a fuse on it so I could make the connection inside the car and see what happens... NOTHING. I didn't get any errors lights etc. with no connection or with any of the terminals connected. hummmmmmmm... I ended up putting the plug on reversed and put a zip tie on it to hold it in place. The only casualty is I cracked the top part of the radiator shroud because I was manipulating it too much putting it back in. I ghetto'd it by using 2 popsicles sticks that I drilled and screwed to the two sides. I'll epoxy it back tonight...
Old 02-02-2012, 01:44 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 e66
wiring harness problem

Having the same problem with the alternator wiring harness on my 745Li 03'. Purchased a rebuilt alternator from bnrparts on ebay and the harness won't clip on because the slots do not line up. They appear to be reversed. Has anyone come up with a solution better than cutting the plastic and zip tying?
Old 02-02-2012, 05:22 PM

Mein Auto: 745li
Make sure you have the right alternator. The X5 is very similar and its also water-cooled.
Old 02-03-2012, 08:56 AM
Master Tinkerer

Mein Auto: 2007 Alpina B7
You might be able to talk a local alternator shop into putting in the correct voltage regulator for cheap since you'll be giving them yours. Land Rovers and a number of other vehicles use these same parts, so you won't be sticking them with a useless part.

Black 2007 Alpina B7
Tension strut bushings

White 2007 Alpina B7
Supercharger clutch/bearings, replaced exhaust valve/pulled head, sunroof seal, 6000K angel eyes

Black 2002 BMW 745Li (sold)
KW v3's, blue angel eyes, 8000K headlights & HID fogs, rebuilt alternator & mounting bracket gasket, sunroof seal, CCVs, plugs, sway bar bushings, timing & valve cover gaskets, valve stem seals, guibo joint, mechatronic sealing sleeve, trans fluid, sanded headlights...
Old 02-03-2012, 09:04 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 e66
Thanks for the suggestions. I heard back from bnrparts on ebay yesterday. They suggest using a knife or screwdriver to remove the opposing slots on the alternator harness which should allow the harness clip. Guess I am going to try this first since I have not worked with a local alternator shop.