Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series / 2 Series > E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)

E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)
BMWs throw back to the iconic 2002, with a renewed form and function. The smallest car in BMW's line up but still packs a punch. Available in coupe or convertible, powered by either an inline 6 in the 128 or the twin turbo rocket sled 135.

Old 06-11-2009, 10:29 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 135i, 2001 325iT
Taking delivery of 135i, anything I should look out for?

Hi all,

I will be taking delivery of my 135i in Munich this coming Monday. I plan to go through the car in/out with a fine tooth comb before I accept and drive away. Anything I should look out for relative to known issues?

Also, I plan to bring up the HPFP issue. Would like to get their response.

Thanks.
Advertisement
Old 06-12-2009, 07:10 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW 135i
From my own trip, I'd say be aware of these things....

1.) There are reports that the third brake light cover has a tendency to slip off. (Doubt it would happen at the factory.)
2.) You get an iPod "Y" cable from your dealer in the USA. You will need it to get full iPod integration with the headunit if you have that option. There's a thread I started under the Performance Center Delivery subforum where someone tells me the technical bulletin number, if you need that when talking to your CA.
3.) You should get a USB extension cable at die Welt.
4.) Make sure you leave enough space in your baggage to accommodate the front license plate (they give you a courtesy bag for that,) the first aid kit, and the triangle reflector. Also make sure you remove the reflector mounting brackets, too. Bring one of those special screwdrivers (torx I think it's called? I had a flathead that just fit from my multitool.)
5.) Familiarize yourself with the German rules of the road and signs before hitting the streets.
6.) Have fun!
Old 06-12-2009, 02:56 PM

Mein Auto: 1998 318i, 135i on order
On the 2008 models, the 3rd brake light lense (which is on the trunk) had a habit of cracking and then possibly coming off. I'm not sure if they've addressed that for the 09s, so just inspect the lense for any cracks in the center. If any develop BMW will replace them under warrantee. Can't think of anything else.
Old 06-12-2009, 04:14 PM

Send a message via AIM to Excitmnt94 Send a message via Yahoo to Excitmnt94
Mein Auto: '09 135i coupe
yes, the third brake light has been fixed. and...just enjoy yourself. no need to start dreading the HPFP already...

Old 06-12-2009, 05:24 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 135i convertible
As others said, enjoy yourself. One good bit of advice from above, get familiar with the road signs before driving. I disagree with one poster above -- you do not need to remove any brackets. I did two EDs last year, both times the brackets for the triangle remained on the car at re-delivery.
Old 06-12-2009, 05:35 PM

Mein Auto: 135 Coupe
I would look out for BMW 7's or Mercedes S class coming up from behind in the left lane at high rates of speed on the autobahn. Really though my wife is picky beyond compare and we just picked up are car at the Welt and everything was fine.

ENJOY YOUR TRIP
Old 06-13-2009, 09:05 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW X3 3.0i (manual)
Euro Delivery

I did European Delivery of my friend's 335xi coupe a year ago April. I agree with the posts above: familiarize yourself with the traffic signs, the rules of the road, and consider getting a portable navigation device if you don't have the BMW option.

One particular experience sticks with me in our two-week drive. The German's take their lane discipline very seriously (unlike, say, Seattle drivers who do the same speed in the left lane as the right lane). Stay right unless actively passing!
So, I'm doing 100mph and closing on a slower car in the right lane that's doing only about 75. Remember, this is like closing at 25 mph on a car standing still.
So I check my mirrors and blind spot and move left. Unfortunately, I didn't realize just how fast that black Mercedes AMG S-class I'd seen in the rearview was closing on me. Before I knew it, he's right on my tail and braking hard. I step on it, but it takes the automatic a modest amount of time to downshift to fourth and time for the turbos to spool up. Don't get me wrong, the 335xi is quick, but in this particular moment it felt like an eternity! I got back up to 120+ mph quickly and got around the slow car. At that point the Mercedes blows by me like I'm standing still (and I'm doing ~130mph). When I saw the quad exhaust and the AMG badge I thought, "Ohh..."
My buddy Clinton, whose car I was driving, said only, "Please don't do that again."
Old 06-13-2009, 02:02 PM

Mein Auto: 135i Coupe
The brake light seems to crack over time. I took ED in October 2008 and the first time I noticed the crack was in late May. Regardless, it's nothing to worry about upon delivery.

Just a reminder that while you only get 4 gallons of gas upon delivery, there's no need to rush out and get it at the stations they give you the map for. There's cheaper gas elsewhere - especially if you were heading to say, Austria.

DEFINITELY check you lanes WAY back. I had a similar experience as iamthewalrus.

Also, if you get pulled over by the Polizei, it might just be to check your documents. Locals have a reputation for snagging the tourist plates for their daily driver.

+1 on the iPod cable if so equipped. And do leave some room in your luggage as mentioned for the plate, etc.

And of course, have a BLAST!
Re-delivery: Dec 23, 2008
Old 06-14-2009, 04:58 PM

The Polizei

Quote:
Originally Posted by former View Post
Also, if you get pulled over by the Polizei, it might just be to check your documents. Locals have a reputation for snagging the tourist plates for their daily driver.
Yes, we got pulled over with <300 miles on the odometer. The Polizei were a little surprised by our group. I'm American, the owner of the 335xi is Australian but with a US Green Card, and his buddy is Australian, but British by marriage to his husband. The Polizei looked at us like we were a delegation from the UN as everyone handed over differently colored passports. They checked our paper work and that was it. No indication why they pulled us over...
Old 06-17-2009, 09:35 AM
8 tracks of madness

Mein Auto: 08 VW GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamthewalrus View Post
The German's take their lane discipline very seriously
That's because it's LAW over here, not just good manners. You can be ticketed and fined for holding up traffic in the right lane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamthewalrus View Post
No indication why they pulled us over...
They don't need "probably cause." Again, different rules. They're usually just checking papers and will soon let you on your way.
Old 06-18-2009, 08:31 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 135i, 2001 325iT
Hi all,

Just got back from my ED. Unfortunately I did not get a chance to review these responses until now. I will keep an eye on the 3rd brake light lens.

I had a great time in the Berchtesgaden region. I found the average speed of travel on the A8 was similar to interstates here, with an occasionally Audi or MB blowing by in the left lane. I thought it would be a lot more aggressive with regards to speed. My GPS worked great and I was able to understand the road signs. I did commit two errors. Drove down a short one way the wrong way, but I knew that. I was just tired of trying to get around a closed round-about. And then one night I turned into someone's long driveway thinking it was a road.

I had no issues with the pick up. I was somewhat disappointed with the delivery process. I did not find it special in any way. I did take the plant tour but it was crowded. The museum was closed on my delivery day (Monday) and no one (dealer or BMWNA) made me aware of this in advance. At delivery the features review was very brief and it seemed they were rushing me out the door. They should provide a suggested itinerary for the day (e.g. tour through the Welt, museum, factory tour).
Old 06-18-2009, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quality_sound View Post
That's because it's LAW over here, not just good manners. You can be ticketed and fined for holding up traffic in the right lane.
Yes, well, it's the LAW here too. It's just not enforced.
There are very clear signs here in Seattle on I5, "Keep Right Except to Pass" But they're simply not enforced. It's rather frustrating and dangerous. Drivers end up passing cars on the right...
Old 10-18-2010, 08:40 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 135i
The third brake light problem must be back. Having it repaired on my 2011 today.
Old 10-18-2010, 02:41 PM

Mein Auto: 135i
Yeah, I only have 1280 miles on my 2011 135i and the third brake light lens is coming off on the right side. Have to call to get that fixed before it gets worse.

John
Old 02-06-2012, 04:39 PM

Mein Auto: 135i Coupe
Third Brake Light

Just noticed this weekend that the lens(?) on the third brake light of my 2011 135i (15,000 mi) is lifted on left edge (about 2 inches) with small verticle crack about 4 inches from left end. Is this the problem others are describing? Repaired or replaced under warranty?
Old 02-08-2012, 07:41 AM

Mein Auto: '09 135i, '03 MCS
Yes and Yes.
Old 09-23-2014, 06:01 PM

Mein Auto: Corvette
Talking Third Brake Light Replaced

The third brake light on my 2009 128i cracked and broke in the middle. The left side was hanging off when I got home. After reading all the posts on this being a common BMW problem along with TSB Number : SIB-63-10-08 ; NHTSA Number : 10036986 ; dated 9/1/2011; I took it back to my dealer, Braman Motor Cars. Even though it was out of warranty, they replaced it for a small deductible ($36.00). Great service for me!
Old 09-24-2014, 01:13 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 135I MS 6MT, 2006 X3
I was about to go out of warranty so I did a thorough inspection and discoverd my third brake light lens was cracked in the middle. It was replaced under warranty.
06 BMW X3, Bluewater/Tan/K&N's/XM (Wife's)