Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)

E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)
E85 Z4 Roadster, E86 Z4 Coupe, E85 Z4 M Roadster, and E86 Z4 M Coupe talk with our BMW gurus here.

Old 02-08-2012, 12:41 PM

Mein Auto: Z4 Coupe
New Z4 Owner - Questions

I've just bought a BMW Z4 Sport coupe and absolutely love it! Just getting used to that twitchy back end after coming from a quattro Audi TT.

My questions are:

- I've got the M sport steering wheel with radio controls, it also has the telephone buttons - does this mean I've got bluetooth? If so, how do I pair my phone with it?
- Is there a way to set the wing mirrors to automatically move up on start, rather than having to press the button each time?
- Is there a way to change the ECU setting to automatically lock the car when I reach say 15mph, rather than having to press the button?

Finally, what subtle mods and tweaks can I do to the car?
Advertisement
Old 02-08-2012, 01:21 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '06 M Roadster Imola/Blk
Congrats on your purchase!

-You should have B/T with that wheel. Look in your manuals for a passkey to hook up your phone. There are good tutorials on youtube as well about how to pair.

-In the US we don't have power folding mirrors, but I understand this function is manually controlled on the Z4.

-Yes- there is a computer setting to autolock the doors at 8mph I believe. There is also a nice feature to make the turn signal blink 3 times if you tap it right or left(for lane changes). These can be done at a dealer, or there has been quite a lot of talk about do it yourself coding. Just need a $12 cable from Amazon and a laptop with some programs.

Subtle mods: a stubby antenna is nice and cheap(the OEM one is just too tall IMO). Ceramic brake pads make cleaning the wheels a lot easier as well. Black kidney grills are cool if they accent your cars color. I also recommend getting either the BMW all weather mats, or some other aftermarket all weather mats, to protect the carpets. A clear bra and headlight protection is also nice.

Look in the FAQ section on the main page for a lot of tips.

Last edited by chickdr; 02-08-2012 at 01:23 PM.
Old 02-08-2012, 02:29 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E82, E84
If you set your phone to search for Bluetooth devices, it should find the module if it exists. On mine, it shows up as 'BMW08621' where the last 5 digits are from the VIN. You don't need to do anything special to pair with the Bluetooth module, but you will need the PIN. If you don't have it, you can get it from the label on the TCU module. There are instructions posted somewhere on this forum for getting to it.

I've done the coding for auto locking the doors and the comfort blinker on my car and some others. You can have the dealership do it, but it will cost you. Search for someone in your area that does BMW coding and you might find someone to do it for you.