Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Do-It-Yourself H.Q.

Do-It-Yourself H.Q.
Share your DIY projects or ask questions about how to fix something on your own. Help fellow Bimmerfest members improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Old 01-31-2011, 09:58 PM
Past Sponsor

Mein Auto: 2004 330Xi
Wink New Carbon Wrapping Project: Mercedes C63 AMG

Hey;

Was just given the complete trim interior trim from a buddies C63 AMG. Wants it done in black carbon fiber cloth (no 3M DiNoc here).

So far, have applied carbon fiber cloth and first coat of resin. Parts in pictures below are at VERY early stage and still require trimming and alot of work before they are complete, but they're in process.

The one really cool thing I've tried and it's worked so far, is wrapping the 3 centre dash pieces (center air vents, radio surround, etc) is wrapping all 3 pieces using a single piece of cloth, so when they are complete, there will be one continuous weave through all 3 pieces....

Here are the first pictures (alomg with a couple of the interior before the process began.

Centre console wrapped as one piece.

Separated (still need to cut-out all the holes for the dials, etc):

Cup Holder:

Ashtray:

Shifter Surround + heater controls:

Door Trim:

Seat controls:

Still need to tackle the gauge surround (big black piece around speedo, tach, etc gauges) and he's pushing to get Steptronic paddles done too, but concerned about operational interference and functionality if its wrapped.

The pictures REALLY don't do the parts justice as they look really rough now, But I expect them to look real sweet when done (especially the centre control centre)
Advertisement
Old 02-01-2011, 08:56 PM
Past Sponsor

Finished trimming centre console sections.... think they came out pretty nice so far. need to be sanded and 3-4 more coats of resin before they're ready to be clear coated, so disregard finish @ this stage...

Old 02-02-2011, 11:57 AM
Past Sponsor

Hey;

Finally got the parts trimmed. Still need to wrap the outside vents and gauge surround which are being done after I post. Here are the pictures:

Old 02-13-2011, 08:34 AM

Mein Auto: 325
too sick!
Old 02-13-2011, 09:20 AM
Past Sponsor

:
Old 02-22-2011, 09:57 PM
Past Sponsor

Finally got these parts finished. Had some family issues that took me away from the wrapping for about a week, but parts are now finished and just need to re-assembled and final trim (removal of last excess resin, etc.) and they're shipping.

Here are the pictures:

Old 02-28-2011, 12:27 AM
Past Sponsor

Hey;

Got the parts finished... Buffed, polished and final trim.

Here's a few pictures taken before he took them (happened to be visiting relatives in town and so dropped by to pick them up).

Old 03-05-2011, 11:23 AM
95 325is

Mein Auto: 95 325is
Sweet, very nice work.
Old 03-05-2011, 11:36 AM
Past Sponsor

Thanks....

Buddy sent me installed pictures. Taken at night with cell phone. Will be taking and emailing me daytime pictures soon.

Old 02-01-2012, 10:19 PM

Mein Auto: 528i
umm... this looks awesome! great job. I have some leftover carbon fiber sheet and i want to wrap my wood trim with cf. do you have a write up or just pictures? what resin did you use, what grit? etc etc... thanks in advance!
Old 02-08-2012, 04:22 PM
SweetXi

Send a message via MSN to Nachos23
Thanks! I'm supposed to do a write-up for a buddies blog of his Mazda RX-7 project I did recently. 27 pieces and counting for his ride.

Resin used for his project was West Systems 105 resin and 207 special hardener which I've used for years... Recently have been experimenting with a couple of different brands to an even clearer resin (mantaining the same UV protection properties as the West products)..... Clear coat used was a 3-part BASF commercial clear coat used by alot of BMW and Mercedes shops....part prep includes chemical cleaning of the part to remove any contaminents, sanding with 120 to roughen parts, priming with a black base coat and then applying the resin. Trimming occurs after 2-3 coats of resin and then 2 (or possibly more) more are added.... before sanding and levelling in preparation for clear coat application (grits used here are 230, 320 and 400). After clear coat it's wet sanded with 800 and 1500 prior to a 3-stage high-speed buffing (mid, low and polish)......

After saying all that, the key is still the laying of the fabric and that comes down to trying and experimenting....
H&R coilovers
BBS LM wheels
//M sport package
BMW Personal Audio System

2000 Z3M
Conforti tuned
AFE CAI
++More to come this winter