Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 Roadster, Z3 coupe, Z3 M Roadster and Z3 M Coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 02-02-2012, 10:31 AM

Mein Auto: 2000 Z3 2.8 Roadster
How do you touch up deep paint scratches?

My girlfriend's Z3 has some rather large paint scratches/chips. At one time she put a regular tarp over the car with bungee cords which scratched the car pretty good. The car is black. I'm thinking I'd like to get some oem touch-up paint and fill the deep scratches. Never done this. Anyone have any success performing this? If so, can you share any tips or tricks to touching up deep scratches?

Jim
Advertisement
Old 02-02-2012, 12:22 PM
Bad Lieutenant

Mein Auto: S65B40 Powered
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashevillez3 View Post
My girlfriend's Z3 has some rather large paint scratches/chips. At one time she put a regular tarp over the car with bungee cords which scratched the car pretty good. The car is black. I'm thinking I'd like to get some oem touch-up paint and fill the deep scratches. Never done this. Anyone have any success performing this? If so, can you share any tips or tricks to touching up deep scratches?

Jim
Touch up paint will probably be very noticeable. Wet sanding and repainting would be the cleanest option if a compound polish won't remove them (doubtful if you can feel them with your fingernail). Do you have any photos?

08 E90M3 6MT Alpinweiss/Schwartz/BMW Pedals/Dinan Exhaust/BMW Alcantara wheel
Old 02-02-2012, 12:53 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 Z3 2.8 Roadster
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekurgan View Post
Touch up paint will probably be very noticeable. Wet sanding and repainting would be the cleanest option if a compound polish won't remove them (doubtful if you can feel them with your fingernail). Do you have any photos?
I'll try to post some over the weekend. I was thinking to fill the deep scratches and build the paint up and then wet sand to even out flush with existing paint. The scratches are noticeable but not enough to justify full paint job. Plus, this is her car. I'm already knee deep in restoring an old vette.

Jim
Old 02-02-2012, 02:04 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: sloporsche
i have removed finger nail scratches with scratch remover products {mothers etc} but i never had success on deep ones. imo touch up paint can make it look worse. if you have a friend in the body shop biz let them try a powered machine to buff it out

Last edited by wifesauto; 02-02-2012 at 02:05 PM. Reason: spellinz
Old 02-02-2012, 05:46 PM

Mein Auto: 03 Z4 3.0i
Depending on how deep they are. Try wet sanding the scratch out. Then use a rubbing compound with a buffer, anti swirl remover, and then a polish.
Old 02-06-2012, 04:33 PM

Mein Auto: Yamaha
If you see it as or call it a chip, then no buffing, rubbing, or sanding will fix it. Use the touch-up paint to protect it from corrosion. If you can't catch the scratch with your fingernail, then you may be able to buff it out.
Old 02-06-2012, 05:35 PM

Mein Auto: s54 roadster
Jim, scroll down to detail dept. There's a great write up on your question. I had a pretty deep scratch on my trunk when I bought the car and that article really helped me. Having a black car also I have to look pretty hard to see it. Good luck
Old 02-06-2012, 06:15 PM

Mein Auto: z3 '97 atlanta blue 2.8
i'm not sure if bmw is using the flat paint/clearcoat technique. it seems that's what manufacturers have gone to. if so, buffing can go thru the clearcoat to flat color, leaving a noticeable dull spot.

if you're going to buff, compound or use polishing abrasive, you may find it necessary to clearcoat afterward.
Old 02-08-2012, 06:50 AM
M Mad

Mein Auto: M Roadster/M3
Watching the factory techs do this at Homecoming, they used standard touch up paint, but used a high quality, VERY thin paint brush. Try craft stores or hobby shops.

Then they filled the chip, ONLY in the chip, in layers until they built it up higher than teh surrounding paint. Then they buffed with compound.

Other have said good things about the Langka system.

'95 Alpine M3 LTW
'00 Dakar M Roadster
'02 Topaz M3
Red/White SRF #4 (Chassis 561)
Old 02-09-2012, 07:32 AM

Mein Auto: 98 MZ3
Have had good luck with the Dr Colorchip, but nothing real deep yet. Worked better for me than the Langka.