Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 02-08-2012, 08:08 PM

Mein Auto: Subaru Baja
Angry 911, I'm locked out!

I'm locked out of my car. Battery went dead and I can't get the doors or trunk to open. I tried to start it earlier and all I got was several click of the started solenoid. Tried to jump from my golf cart but same result. I inadvertently locked the car (BIG MISTAKE!) When I tried to unlock it, the alarm went off and almost blew out my eardrums. (Inside the garage) After the alarm stopped, nothing works. Can't open the doors or trunk even with the key. I have a new battery but I can't get into the trunk to replace it.

Is there a secret way to get into the car to replace the battery?

Thanks for all your help in the past.

Bill Monroe
Sun City, AZ
Advertisement
Old 02-08-2012, 08:15 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2002 525I
Put the key in the trunk cylinder and turn it all the way to the left. Once it's all the way to the left, push the key inwards to pop the trunk open. You might feel a little resistance when turning the key to the left, that's normal.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:08 PM

Hey! It worked. Thanks for the help. I thought that I was going to have a locksmith come out and pay me a very expensive visit.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:25 PM

Mein Auto: '97 540i 6 speed
Rtfm!

Ed in San Jose '97 540i 6 speed aspensilber over aubergine leather. Build date 3/97. Golden Gate Chapter BMW CCA Nr 62319.
Old 02-08-2012, 10:11 PM

Mein Auto: 1998 540i 6-speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by edjack View Post
Rtfm!

Dinan Free Flow Exhaust, M5 illuminated shifter and boot, black kidney grills, tinting on back windows, CCFL Angel Eyes, CDV delete, 15mm spaced
Old 02-08-2012, 11:18 PM

Mein Auto: 1997 BMW 540i
cut him some slack, it says his car is a subaru baja... it has no trunk. And using a key is hard.

1997 BMW 540i
Old 02-08-2012, 11:25 PM

Mein Auto: '97 540i 6 speed
Sorry. But why is he bothering us? I have a Subie, and I can unlock it manually with a key. I can also do the same for my Bimmer, if the battery were dead! The key works in the driver's door, as well as on the trunk!

Ed in San Jose '97 540i 6 speed aspensilber over aubergine leather. Build date 3/97. Golden Gate Chapter BMW CCA Nr 62319.

Last edited by edjack; 02-08-2012 at 11:28 PM.
Old 02-09-2012, 02:43 AM

Traded the Baja in on the 540i. It's now my one and only, except for my golf car.
Old 02-09-2012, 05:55 AM
New York

Mein Auto: 528IA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncity70 View Post
Hey! It worked. Thanks for the help. I thought that I was going to have a locksmith come out and pay me a very expensive visit.
Everyday we all learn something new...this option was shocking to me
Old 02-09-2012, 06:00 AM

Mein Auto: 330i, Mazda6, R90/6 R60/5
Quote:
Originally Posted by edjack View Post
Rtfm!
It's locked up in the trunk.
Old 02-09-2012, 09:44 AM

Mein Auto: 1997 740iL / 2006 X5 4.4
How to MANUALLY UNLOCK your E39 when there's no electrical power

I still get flummoxed by these threads (and this is not a kick-a-man-while-he's-down comment)...but just an observation of human nature.

You have a key in your hand...you press the button (which electronically actuates your car's locking system) and nothing happens. You then conclude that your car's battery is more than likely dead. Then you panic as you continue to press the button that electronically locks/unlocks your car...yet you have a key in your hand, a lock cylinder on your car door, and a lock cylinder on your trunk lid...and the thought to physically insert the key into one of those cylinders to manually unlock the door never flashes through the consciousness...hmmm?

Or...the thought of how to manually unlock something that is electronically actuated when there is no electrical power...never enters the consciousness to find out how to accomplish that task...for when that time comes. (which leads back to the fact the owners manual contains that information). Again, this is not a indictment...but just an observation of human nature.

I guess I fall on the side of being a book/reading nerd...the first time a bought a car that had keyless entry...my first thought was how do I get into the car when the battery dies.

For those that don't have an owners manual...or have one, and missed this info...or forgot about it...here's the same illustrations that get posted several times a month:

_

_

(and for those with Tourings...here's how to manually open the TAILGATE)
Q {BMW CCA Member #191509}
2006 E53 X5 4.4i (Sterling Gray) 12/05 mfg date <<~>> 97 740iL (Arctic Silver) 3/97 mfg date
(SOLD)
99 540iT (Orient Blue) <<~>> 95 525IT (Alpine White)
91 735iL (Schwarz Black) <<~>> 85 325e (Bronzit)

http://imageshack.com/scaled/grid240/822/e38e532ndsigpic.jpg

Last edited by QSilver7; 02-09-2012 at 09:48 AM.
Old 02-09-2012, 10:55 AM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Quote:
Originally Posted by QSilver7 View Post
here's the same illustrations that get posted several times a month
To further leverage Saint Q's efforts, I'll add that post to the bestlinks on the topic:
- How to open the hood (1) or trunk manually when you have a dead 12v car battery (1) (2) (3) & how to unlock the older E39 if the key is locked inside the trunk (1) (2)
Your job, in return, is to read the suggested threads, where the best people will always add value to those threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same problem stands on your shoulders.
See also: E39 Bestlinks & How to easily find what you need

Last edited by bluebee; 02-09-2012 at 10:56 AM.
Old 02-09-2012, 10:58 AM

Mein Auto: 2000 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by QSilver7 View Post
I still get flummoxed by these threads (and this is not a kick-a-man-while-he's-down comment)...but just an observation of human nature.

You have a key in your hand...you press the button (which electronically actuates your car's locking system) and nothing happens. You then conclude that your car's battery is more than likely dead. Then you panic as you continue to press the button that electronically locks/unlocks your car...yet you have a key in your hand, a lock cylinder on your car door, and a lock cylinder on your trunk lid...and the thought to physically insert the key into one of those cylinders to manually unlock the door never flashes through the consciousness...hmmm?

Or...the thought of how to manually unlock something that is electronically actuated when there is no electrical power...never enters the consciousness to find out how to accomplish that task...for when that time comes. (which leads back to the fact the owners manual contains that information). Again, this is not a indictment...but just an observation of human nature.

I guess I fall on the side of being a book/reading nerd...the first time a bought a car that had keyless entry...my first thought was how do I get into the car when the battery dies.

For those that don't have an owners manual...or have one, and missed this info...or forgot about it...here's the same illustrations that get posted several times a month:

_

_

(and for those with Tourings...here's how to manually open the TAILGATE)
Couldn't have said it better myself.

2000 528i steptronic
Blacked out
Old 06-20-2012, 05:12 PM

Mein Auto: 1966 Vette 2008 X5 4.8L
Thanks for this post, electrical issue today, new battery now dead, with no warning lights that the alternator is not working. This post saved me. I could open the trunk to start charging the battery. Thanks again to those that went this way first.

Now to determine the cause of the dead but brand new battery.
Old 06-20-2012, 05:18 PM
Bo-ma-win!

Send a message via Yahoo to beewang
Mein Auto: S62 E39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlotorn View Post

Now to determine the cause of the dead but brand new battery.
You need a new alternator chief!!