Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 02-08-2012, 04:34 AM

Mein Auto: e90 335i X-drive
Question Anyone have experience buying used BMW from another state?

I am looking for a specific configuration in '08 or '09 (prefer '08 because wheel rims went downhill in '09 IMHO):

335xi / Sport / MT / Premium

Found a few 600+ miles away (all at BMW dealers). Anyone out there have (hopefully good) experiences buying out of state sight unseen?

I am nervous about it but all that I am looking at have CPO.

Thanks for any thoughts.

agbasher
Ads by Google
Old 02-08-2012, 06:33 AM
Coconut Pete's paella!

Mein Auto: 08' 4Runner V8
I think I've gone 150 miles to get a car. I'd get the seller to email you some high-res pictures just to make sure an then just drive. Rent a Yaris or something - you can do it in under 8 hours. I've driven to Cleveland from CT several times to see my wifes family and it goes pretty easily.

"Their" is a possessive pronoun. In a phrase like “Susan and Bill's car,” it could be used to to make a new phrase: “their car.”

”They're” is a contraction of “they are.”
“They are” should always be able to replace “they're.”

Extra credit: It's "I'm looking for an M3" not "I'm looking for a M3".
Old 02-08-2012, 06:52 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 335xi LCI
I bought my 2009 CPO 335xi out of state. Drove 2 hours one way to go look at it and test drive.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:09 AM
HerrDoktorProfessor

Mein Auto: '11 335d
1. Don't trust carfax.
2. Get an independent PPI and make sure it hasn't been in any accidents
3. Be prepared to walk away.

#3 is the hardest since you will have driven 600 miles with the mindset that you will be driving a Bimmer home. You have to really resist that feeling and be totally prepared for the trip to be a waste of time.

Entertaining America Since 1975
European Delivery July 26th 2011
ED Video: https://vimeo.com/60051914
ED Trip Report:http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=557294

335d| Deep Sea Blue| Black/Aluminum | Stuff | Gadgets | More Stuff | Power Whatnots | Auto-Verbing Nouns
BMWCCA #448878
Old 02-08-2012, 07:18 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 335i coupe stick
Quote:
Originally Posted by agbasher View Post
I am looking for a specific configuration in '08 or '09 (prefer '08 because wheel rims went downhill in '09 IMHO):

335xi / Sport / MT / Premium

Found a few 600+ miles away (all at BMW dealers). Anyone out there have (hopefully good) experiences buying out of state sight unseen?

I am nervous about it but all that I am looking at have CPO.

Thanks for any thoughts.

agbasher
I bought a CPO'ed car from an Infiniti dealer in Boston about a year ago (900 miles away).

I had been looking for 2-3 months so I knew exactly what I wanted and what was and was not a good deal.

I saw this car on-line a day after it was advertised and called up. The advertised price was significantly lower than what I knew to be the going rate and what I could even negotiate for similar cars.

I bought it over the phone that day and managed to knock $500 off the price. Apparently, my timing was good because it was out on a test drive with someone who had driven a couple of hours to test drive and who wanted to buy it.

Shipping ended up costing me about $700 and took a week or two longer than I wanted to get straightened out, but in the end, I feel I got a great deal and would do it again.
Old 02-08-2012, 10:31 AM

Thanks all.

So in the case of your Infiniti purchase boilers93, you felt okay buying without seeing or driving first?

I would definitely NOT be able to see or drive either option.

Thanks.
Old 02-08-2012, 10:35 AM

3ismagic#,

is a PPI necessary for a car with CPO warranty coverage? thanks.
Old 02-08-2012, 11:09 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 335i coupe stick
Quote:
Thanks all.

So in the case of your Infiniti purchase boilers93, you felt okay buying without seeing or driving first?

I would definitely NOT be able to see or drive either option.

Thanks.
Well, I had lots of pictures and the assurance of the sales manager that it was in great shape. And I had the assurance of the CPO. Not my preferred situation, but it worked out great.
Old 02-08-2012, 12:02 PM

Sorry, what is PPI?
Old 02-08-2012, 12:36 PM

Mein Auto: 08 328i, Prem, Sport, MT
Lets see...

Back in march, i went on my lunch break in my Nissan SE-R... about 2 mins away from my office and BOOM, some girl pulls out in front of me ... so now what? A new car! Well I always wanted a Bimmer and well, i was going to get one. I was 100% set on my color and option choice, I HAD to have black on black, and HAD to have sport and prem packages, and HAD to be RWD, it didnt HAVE to be manual, but lucked out that i found one.

My situation?

Went to 3 local BMW dealers here in central PA, told them the car I want, color, options etc. Each dealer said, hey no problem we buy cars all the time at auctions, we will look for that car for you.

a MONTH goes by and at this point am still without a car, and still no word on the dealers - even though I would stop in once a week to show my seriousness.

Finally I said screw it, got my BMWs website and search ALL of the USA for the exact car I wanted... well there were 2 that had what I wanted, both CPO, 1 automatic, slightly fewer miles and out in arizona, the other car was a manual and located in FL. keep in mind I live in PA.

Well, i call the dealer, and well long story short, 2 days later am being overnighted paperwork to purchase. They obviously did not "cut me a deal" since they logically think, we're here in FL and some guy in PA is calling us about THIS car?!? He obviously wants it.

I NEVER saw the car in person, NEVER drove it... just asked about 10000 questions. I told my salesman, if this car shows up and there are scratches or dents in it, Im sending it back. He assured me the car was in PERFECT condition. I was so skeptical at this at first, buying a $30k car and NEVER seeing it? am i crazy? ... I trusted my salesman... all salesman are not created equally but i think he understood I was buying an expensive car from far away without EVER seeing it.

(The dealer in AZ said they do this all the time and could come up with 1 FINAL price of car+shipping as opposed to how i did it, I had to arrage my own pickup and shipping from the dealer - they were still helpful with loading the car, etc but didn't set up the shipping for me)

2 weeks later, a big rig shows up at my office, completely empty with the exception of a black E90 clean as can be, sitting on the rear of the truck.

Oh yes!

reply/PM me any questions you may have as far as dealing with the dealer over the phone/email and then I obviously got my car shipped to me (enough though some suggested flying down and driving back) ... all in all with a tip, I paid $750 dollers to have my car shipped from FL to PA.

Last edited by AllBlackBimmer; 02-08-2012 at 12:38 PM.
Old 02-08-2012, 12:39 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335d M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordperf View Post
Sorry, what is PPI?
PPI = pre-purchase inspection

2008 535xi: now in lease heaven
Old 02-08-2012, 12:41 PM

My dealer was in NY (I live in NJ) and he wouldnet even ship it from NY to NJ, saying that I *had* to accept delivery in person at his dealership. A 2 hour drive one-way for me. It really pissed me off that people I know personally bought cars from VA and NC and had them shipped to NJ, just like you did, and here I was getting jerked around. I was willing to pay a transport fee too (which for me is way cheaper than losing an entire day in travel and dealer bs), but it was a non-issue.

I still wound up driving out there to get the car, but that left a sour taste in my mouth forever after with that dealer.
Old 02-08-2012, 01:17 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 335 Sedan MSport
Quote:
Anyone have experience buying used BMW from another state?
Yes, but never sight unseen. A PPI is good $100 insurance even for CPOs. Not sure a dealer has to disclose everything a good independent can confirm.
Old 02-08-2012, 01:42 PM

Mein Auto: 323 & x3
I have bought 3 CPO BMW's from BMW dealers out of state. Two were sight unseen. I have never had any problems. The last one was an 09 328 conv which I bought in Macon GA which is 350 miles from Nashville. When I got home we discovered one of the keys was not working for comfort access. My local dealer fixed it and billed the selling dealer. In another case I bought an 11 528 in Huntsville which is only 90 miles. Had trouble with the BMW assist. Again my local dealer programmed it and billed the selling dealer. So as long as they are under factory warranty and certified there is no risk.
Old 02-08-2012, 01:58 PM

Mein Auto: 1997 528i
I live in West Virginia and went to look at/test drive cars in Maryland, Virginia, and North Carolina before finally buying one from Virginia. I would not buy a car sight unseen, but I know a few folks who have and it worked out for them. I just looked at the trek to the other state as a mini-vacation and stayed overnight so I wasn't rushed. I took someone with me on all but one of the trips and actually enjoyed every trip. I kept telling myself not to feel obligated to buy simply because I drove 5-6 hours to see it. In the four cases where I walked away I didn't consider the trip a waste of time since I did some other enjoyable things. I plan to buy my next car the same way since I found the "hunt" for the perfect car quite enjoyable.

94 318I (Daughter's car), 96 740IL(current project), 97 528I(DD), 07 335I(Son's car)
Old 02-08-2012, 02:12 PM

Mein Auto: X5 35D, Former X1 and 335
When buying used cars you always gamble on the car. I have been on the bad side of a couple of deals.

Things I learned.
Pull the carfax this will be a great source of info.

Understand that Dealers need to sell cars within 30 days or they start paying intrest off on the car and the line of credit.
If a car has sat on the forecourt for more than 60 days look somewhere else. The cars got a problem / overpriced / or in poor condition.
If its a trade in you will see it as being listed on carfax as being offered for sale. This is your best option for a good deal to you dealers always buy cars under book on trade ins.
If the car was sold at auction how long from 30 days after the sale are you? The longer it has been the better position you are for a lower price being accepted.
Don't pay sticker on any car.
Just because you really want the car doesn`t mean you have no leg for a deal. Offer them 20% off there listing price and then see how it goes. Even be prepared to wait a week or two for an answer.
Old 02-08-2012, 02:35 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordperf View Post
My dealer was in NY (I live in NJ) and he wouldnet even ship it from NY to NJ, saying that I *had* to accept delivery in person at his dealership. A 2 hour drive one-way for me. It really pissed me off that people I know personally bought cars from VA and NC and had them shipped to NJ, just like you did, and here I was getting jerked around. I was willing to pay a transport fee too (which for me is way cheaper than losing an entire day in travel and dealer bs), but it was a non-issue.

I still wound up driving out there to get the car, but that left a sour taste in my mouth forever after with that dealer.
Dealers never ship used/CPO cars to other dealers. CPOs are not the same, business wise, as new car. Your request, for the given situation, was not reasonable. No dealer would have been willing to do this with a used/CPO car

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

BMW CCA member #388003 - www.bmwcca.org Use me as a referral, you could win a one day ///M Driving School!
Old 02-08-2012, 04:52 PM
Livin' like Larry!

Mein Auto: 2007 328XiT; 2008 328 CiC
Live in VA, bought car in PA... It's CPO, so I had the dealer send me a copy of the CPO checklist and Carfax... Also asked them to read off all the repairs / service it had had... Only had 13k on it, so the list was short... Drove up for a test drive (about 3 hours), took it for a spin and headed home with it about an hour later... Long day, but otherwise it was worth the trip.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:06 PM

Thanks all for the great and abundant info. Very helpful as I evaluate a couple out of state CPO options.

agbasher
Old 02-09-2012, 06:37 PM
polluting the highways

Mein Auto: 2004 sebring limited vert
Hey,
I actually just went on a six hour one way adventure into queens, ny to pick up my "immaculate" conditioned dream bimmer two days ago.
3 minutes after seeing it in person I was driving back home in my old car. I've never seen a car so scratched and banged up. Definitely buyer beware.
Old 02-10-2012, 11:42 AM

Mein Auto: X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ismagic# View Post
3. Be prepared to walk away.

#3 is the hardest since you will have driven 600 miles with the mindset that you will be driving a Bimmer home. You have to really resist that feeling and be totally prepared for the trip to be a waste of time.
Read up on what to visit in that city as a tourist. Even if it is just a local monument that takes 5 minutes, that will make the trip sort of worthwhile. That way, you can walk away and say "at least I got to see the ____ when I went there hoping to pick up a car".
Old 02-10-2012, 01:35 PM

Mein Auto: 328xi coupe
600 miles to WI for my current ride(traded in 325).

Few things to do before you hit the road:

1. Build rapport(calls/emails) with the sale person you will be working with.
2. Share pics., options, serv. history, car fax(i know, but i still look at it) and VIN's. Don't forget to mention the quotes from other dealers for your car.
3. Make copies of comparable listings - Leverage for last minute 'surprises'. Keep KBB/NADA values handy.
4. Agree on a trade-in/purchase price, based on all that you shared.
5. Check with the local DMV on any paper work that needs to be completed.
6. Get ample rest before you hit the dealership. Trust me, its longer when you are tired. Plus, you need a lot of energy for the last part - finance manager.

D-day - stock up on pop/water/snacks and most important, good music. Frequent stops to stretch(tip: gas below 1/2, time to stop).

If you are friends with the local dealership, ask for their opinion. You can also go through the features in their internal system using the VIN.

Parts that can take time:
1.Closing the old loan
2.Any special(BMWFS CPO) promotions
3.Transfer of title - (purchase)state to (reg.) state

Get temp. plates before leaving the dealership. Its a long process, but worth it.
Know your numbers and be ready to walk away(refer #3).

Would i do it again? YESS!!! (Think the long drive home).

Good luck!

06 e90 - 103k(retired) packages - Prem., CWP and grin ear to ear.

Last edited by suju; 02-10-2012 at 01:56 PM.
Old 02-11-2012, 09:05 AM
X5 *****

Send a message via AIM to Spcled1
Mein Auto: 2011 X5 35i
I purchased my 11 X5 35i off Ebay 3 weeks ago. Scary as hell to spend that much for a vehicle I have not seen in person or touched. I did not get a PPI either, just took the dealers word, looked the pictures over well and purchased it. 800 in shipping and it was a great purchase, I am very happy with it. It has 20's with performance tires so it SUCKS in snow. I just ordered Knock off 336's with Perelli Ice and Snow tires. They will be here Wednesday. Two sets of tires seems to be the way to go after reading up on this board. I am in Colorado and the Car was in Florida

Last edited by Spcled1; 02-11-2012 at 09:10 AM.