Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-13-2012, 05:06 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 320D M Sport
Bmw 320d m sport security

Dear All,

I am new to this site. First of all I would like to saw BMW cars are amazing!!

I used to own an E90 BMW 320D M Sport in Le Mans blue and absolutely loved it. I say I used to own one because 48hrs ago it was stolen during the night. It was parked in a well lit street which is in a junction with the main road, wall or wooden fence on one sides and on the other side of the road is a school - though at night I would imagine the road to be quiet.

The manner in which it was taken would suggest someone was able to break in and some how bypass the immobilizer and drive off in it - all done relatively quickly.

I know the car was not towed away of lifted on to a truck because there was broken glass on the floor, and from the position of the broken glass I would say they smashed the rear passenger door window.

Am I right in saying that modern day cars such as BMW's with immobilizers it should be almost impossible to hot-wire the engine? If this is the case then they must have a generic key?

I have heard rumours that BMW technicians have a generic key fob that works on all BMW's? Can anyone confirm this? If this is the case then it is one of the major flaws in the security system of their cars as the generic keys could be lost or stolen!

I'm kind of hoping someone who knows more about BMW cars can shed a light on how secure their cars are and if it is not with a generic key then how the hell did someone manage to bypass the immobilizer, start my car engine and drive off??

Your advice will be most welcome as I am seriously considering whether I would want to buy another BMW after this.....

Cheers!
Advertisement