Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 01-29-2012, 09:16 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 550i
2012 vs 2013 328xi sports wagon

I had been planning to buy my wife a 2012 F31 wagon on European Delivery this June. But I understand the 2013 model with the new body style and interior will begin production in September. Any merit to waiting for the re-designed model? Any sense whether it will be available for ED in the fall?
Ads by Google
Old 01-30-2012, 09:04 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 128i
I think most are expecting the F31 to be available in Sept or October for deliveries. The drivetrain will be much more effecient than the outgoing 6-cylender, but possibly not as reliable. No details have been revealed for U.S. though. Will it be available with a stick shift? Will RWD be available? When will x-drive be available?
Old 01-30-2012, 05:46 PM

Mein Auto: E91 328 Touring (SPP)
I am all ears for the answers to your Qs. Looking to replace my 2007 E91 (non-X)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brosher View Post
I think most are expecting the F31 to be available in Sept or October for deliveries. The drivetrain will be much more effecient than the outgoing 6-cylender, but possibly not as reliable. No details have been revealed for U.S. though. Will it be available with a stick shift? Will RWD be available? When will x-drive be available?
Old 01-30-2012, 08:18 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhinshaw View Post
I had been planning to buy my wife a 2012 F31 wagon on European Delivery this June. But I understand the 2013 model with the new body style and interior will begin production in September. Any merit to waiting for the re-designed model? Any sense whether it will be available for ED in the fall?
If I was in your position, assuming your wife isn't a huge driving enthusiast, I would go ahead and get the 2012 E91 328 sport wagon. You will get the three liter inline six, 230hp & 200 lb/ft tq and the six speed auto, assuming she prefers the auto. I would do it because I prefer the inline six.

If you wait for the 2013 F31 you will get the turbo four cylinder with 240hp & 260 lb/ft tq and the eight speed auto. The eight speed tranny is phenomenal, but the six speed is no slouch. The turbo four and the eight speed will get considerably better fuel economy.

So, my opinion is totally influenced by the different engines. The redesign is great. And I may even change my tune after driving the new turbo four. But I bought a 3er BMW specifically for the inline six. No motor runs as silky smooth as a straight six.

Keep Right, Except to Pass

Than & Then usage - "It was hotter than hades (comparison). Then later on (time) it got cool."

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune - I like it!
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

BMW CCA member #388003 - www.bmwcca.org Use me as a referral, you could win a one day ///M Driving School!

Last edited by tturedraider; 01-30-2012 at 08:19 PM.
Old 02-03-2012, 01:56 PM

Mein Auto: '07 328iT.'13 Boxster
Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
If I was in your position, assuming your wife isn't a huge driving enthusiast, I would go ahead and get the 2012 E91 328 sport wagon. You will get the three liter inline six, 230hp & 200 lb/ft tq and the six speed auto, assuming she prefers the auto.

No motor runs as silky smooth as a straight six.
I'd recommend the 6 speed manual over the Steptronic on the theory that if his wife can appreciate the smoothness of the NA I6, she probably enjoys shifting for herself (to say nothing of the better MT performance and economy)!

Tom
Old 02-06-2012, 03:23 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 328xiT (E91)
Rhinshaw,

FWIW- I just put an order in for a European Delivery 2012 328i XDrive Sports Wagon Sport Package MT in Space Grey/Saddle with all options/packages except navigation, the fancy cruise system and automatic high beam assist. I had the same questions and decided to pull the trigger on the current E91. As of this moment we really don't know what variations of the F31 wagon they will bring to the USA, but can probably rest assured we will have the turbo 4 and 8 speed with or without XDrive. I currenlty have a 2012 X5 35i Premium (9k miles) with the 8 speed transmission and while that transmission is brilliant and shifts quickly in sport mode, it's just not that satifying to drive in my opinion. I have also noticed in the mountains outside of Denver I find myself hunting for the correct lower gear when descending a 6% or more grade. Sometimes too many gears to choose from if you want to react quickly to slowing traffic. On the plus side, the 8 speed is a VERY smooth transmission. I believe it is the same 8 speed they are putting into the 3 series, but it may be programmed a bit differently. I test drove a 528i with the turbo 4 cylinder. It may be more efficient, but the sound it emits is quintessenitally 4 cylinder territory. I much prefer the current inline six and will gladly take the lack of 10 additional hp and fuel economy hit. I highly recommend you go to your dealer and take the 528i out for a spin. That should help you make your decision.

Hope this helps!
Old 02-07-2012, 08:34 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW X3 3.0i (manual)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer842 View Post
Rhinshaw,

FWIW- I just put an order in for a European Delivery 2012 328i XDrive Sports Wagon Sport Package MT in Space Grey/Saddle with all options/packages except navigation, the fancy cruise system and automatic high beam assist.
+1 That's exactly how I would have optioned mine. My 2006 BMW X3 3.0i has all of the options except the automatic and navigation, and it's great!

-James
San Francisco, CA
2006 BMW X3 3.0i (manual, m-sport, premium pkg, cold weather pkg, prem stereo pkg, PDC)
Old 02-13-2012, 03:47 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 335xi
Trade 335xi sedan for 2012 E91 328 . Is this crazy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
If I was in your position, assuming your wife isn't a huge driving enthusiast, I would go ahead and get the 2012 E91 328 sport wagon. You will get the three liter inline six, 230hp & 200 lb/ft tq and the six speed auto, assuming she prefers the auto. I would do it because I prefer the inline six.

If you wait for the 2013 F31 you will get the turbo four cylinder with 240hp & 260 lb/ft tq and the eight speed auto. The eight speed tranny is phenomenal, but the six speed is no slouch. The turbo four and the eight speed will get considerably better fuel economy.

So, my opinion is totally influenced by the different engines. The redesign is great. And I may even change my tune after driving the new turbo four. But I bought a 3er BMW specifically for the inline six. No motor runs as silky smooth as a straight six.
Got into a 2009 CPO 335xi base sedan last April. Just approaching 20K miles now. 17x8 wheels and Blizzak WS25 RFT winter package from TireRack. But I am wishing for a hatchback for little things like getting a snowblower to and from annual maintenance, etc. I love my car. Paid $35K for a car with 13000 miles, dealer exec. Perfect condition. Premium. Heated steering. Sears. HKsound. Would like to be able to use the winter setup that I have now for many more years. A new ( touring) build would cost at least $15K more than my car is valued. Comments, advise, solution?