Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 02-14-2012, 12:35 PM
L4P

Send a message via AIM to MalibuMafiaV
Mein Auto: E60 M5 & Stage 3 Audi S4
Thanks for the reply SJ. Yeah I really think the replacing the whole drive shaft will be a cheaper better idea then do the trans first of course. And I believe your 100% right on the whole trans running improperly if there's something wrong with the drive shaft. I mean lets face this guys. my drive shaft and everything attached to it other than the diff has 180k miles on it. I believe it's time to replace it regardless LOL.

Scott. Can you link me the runer motorsport drive shaft please?. I wonder if it's a good idea though to get one that the U joint is replacable. Considering it's a piece that now can be worn quicker rather than how the OEM one is built that's something I may have to worry about in the future again.

Bob. The whole manual swap is much to expensive it seems for me. Plus driving a manual in Southern Cali especially Los Angeles is hell. I drive in 1 and a half hour traffic every day. When there's no traffic it takes me 25-30mins. I counted one time when I took my friends manual M5 to work when he was gone. I counted to about 150 times of shifting and than I stopped because it was just insane. By the end of the day my leg felt like it was going to fall off of course :laugh:.

As much as I want a manual.... it just isn't the best idea in my driving conditions here. Unless doing a full manual swap could be under 2.5k ( including Smolcks plane ticket ).
BMW 2000 3-series - Supercharged Because race car SOLD
Maserati 2004 M128 GT - HREs/tint/straight piped SOLD
BMW 2006 M3 - stock - SOLD
Old 02-14-2012, 12:36 PM
L4P

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac_wan View Post
My apologies Bob, I wasn't sure which tranny the OP has and I think I referred to that fact in my post,..which then was more of a reinforcement rather than a 'plagiarism' of what Smolck had noted.

...even still I'm not too sure why you would resort to labeling me in that manner. All the years I have been here I don't recall you ever taking a swipe at me!
He's just messin with you brotha. Don't take it personally, Bobs a good person. Bob and Shad give me **** all the time but it's all in good fun
Old 02-14-2012, 01:30 PM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac_wan View Post

...even still I'm not too sure why you would resort to labeling me in that manner. All the years I have been here I don't recall you ever taking a swipe at me!
Just funnin` ya, mang !

(All the years you`ve been here, you should recognize my style by now )

*Please support the Wounded Warrior Project*

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Old 02-14-2012, 01:39 PM
Keeping it surreal

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalibuMafiaV View Post
Bob. The whole manual swap is much to expensive it seems for me. Plus driving a manual in Southern Cali especially Los Angeles is hell. I drive in 1 and a half hour traffic every day. When there's no traffic it takes me 25-30mins. I counted one time when I took my friends manual M5 to work when he was gone. I counted to about 150 times of shifting and than I stopped because it was just insane. By the end of the day my leg felt like it was going to fall off of course :laugh:.

As much as I want a manual.... it just isn't the best idea in my driving conditions here. Unless doing a full manual swap could be under 2.5k ( including Smolcks plane ticket ).
I see your point, but running a stock Step behind a boosted motor seems kinda like an invitation to trouble. Although it might cost you more than doing the manual swap, something like a beefed-up Level Ten tranny would be a good choice if you need to stay with an automatic. Those things are gorilla....

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Old 02-14-2012, 01:54 PM
L4P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
I see your point, but running a stock Step behind a boosted motor seems kinda like an invitation to trouble. Although it might cost you more than doing the manual swap, something like a beefed-up Level Ten tranny would be a good choice if you need to stay with an automatic. Those things are gorilla....
Well we do plan to beef up the auto trans to support my application that's not the main issue. The main issue here is the cost and having to change the whole drive shaft as well other than just the trans. Good thing is the dif is already a 3.64 so it's nice with an auto.

But... 2k for a auto trans built to support my application just seems to expensive to me. Is it not?. I don't know, thats why I ask.
Old 02-14-2012, 01:58 PM
We want the Lion!

Mein Auto: 03 ZHP, 01 X5, 73 MGB
Here ya go...

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/BMW-...iveshafts.aspx

Quote:
JUST...LOOK...UNDER...THE...CAR....for Chrissakes....it`s like checking to see if a dog is male or female....
Quote:
Originally Posted by smolck View Post
A bimmer with forced induction should have a proper manual gearbox. Anything less is like french kissing your sister.
Old 02-14-2012, 02:01 PM
L4P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott ZHP View Post
Not a bad price. I think I should buy a 330i drive shaft though. Isn't it a bit more beefy?.
Old 02-14-2012, 02:02 PM
Keeping it surreal

Quote:
Well we do plan to beef up the auto trans to support my application that's not the main issue. The main issue here is the cost and having to change the whole drive shaft as well other than just the trans. Good thing is the dif is already a 3.64 so it's nice with an auto.

But... 2k for a auto trans built to support my application just seems to expensive to me. Is it not?. I don't know, thats why I ask.
I`ve owned hot rods all of my life, and have learned (the hard way, mostly) that the "Weakest Link In The Chain" theory is very much alive and well, and WILL come back to bite you in the ass if you attempt to ignore or avoid it.....jes` a fack o` life, mang....

Old 02-14-2012, 02:04 PM
L4P

Quote:
I`ve owned hot rods all of my life, and have learned (the hard way, mostly) that the "Weakest Link In The Chain" theory is very much alive and well, and WILL come back to bite you in the ass if you attempt to ignore or avoid it.....jes` a fack o` life, mang....
So in other words. 2k for the weak link to make sure it's strong enough to support my application is worth it? lol.
Old 02-14-2012, 02:47 PM
ROLL TIDE!

Mein Auto: 2004 ZHP Sedan
Quote:
^^
lawler. Good ol Jersey shore. I just checked and a rebuilt drive shaft w/ center support bearing is $680 total. What do you guys think?. I plan to do the work myself so no labor charges.
How much pot did that guy smoke before he quoted that price. They are $220 all day long.

And Bob is right, you knew this day would come. A step for a 328 isn't going to live all that long behind a blower motor, has enough trouble living behind stock horsepower levels.

Check out my YouTube Channel for DIY's and other fun stuff HERE
Check out my BMWBLOG!
Quote:
now, go burn your Man Card, and buy yourself a Camry....

Last edited by smolck; 02-14-2012 at 02:49 PM.
Old 02-14-2012, 02:52 PM
Living Life At The Beach

Mein Auto: 2004 325 Convertible
Quote:

I know you were asking Bob, but my opinion (although it may differ from his) is that 2k is downright reasonable, as long as you trust the rebuilder, and they will warranty the work with YOUR application. (they may not considering the boost) I have seen BMW trans rebuilders in the back of Roundel, but I believe they were much more money. Considering how much mileage you got out of your current setup it owes you nothing. When you get to the point where you think you are sinking too much money into this (and you will!) think of what it would cost you to get into something that will offer the same level of performance. Run the numbers and see if it would just make sense to lease or pay off a new one. Deciding to cut and run is always a difficult decision, but the new 3 looks like a nice ride. Much better than the E90 in my opinion, and the reviews seem to be positive on the new chassis. Good luck!
Old 02-14-2012, 02:55 PM
ROLL TIDE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJBimmer View Post
I know you were asking Bob, but my opinion (although it may differ from his) is that 2k is downright reasonable, as long as you trust the rebuilder, and they will warranty the work with YOUR application. (they may not considering the boost) I have seen BMW trans rebuilders in the back of Roundel, but I believe they were much more money. Considering how much mileage you got out of your current setup it owes you nothing. When you get to the point where you think you are sinking too much money into this (and you will!) think of what it would cost you to get into something that will offer the same level of performance. Run the numbers and see if it would just make sense to lease or pay off a new one. Deciding to cut and run is always a difficult decision, but the new 3 looks like a nice ride. Much better than the E90 in my opinion, and the reviews seem to be positive on the new chassis. Good luck!
2k is more than enough for a manual swap. And, he would need a level 10 rebuilt trans (if he stays auto) which is $4000 to make it last. A stock rebuild will die again.

Check out my BMWBLOG!
Quote:
Old 02-14-2012, 03:09 PM
L4P

Quote:
How much pot did that guy smoke before he quoted that price. They are $220 all day long.

And Bob is right, you knew this day would come. A step for a 328 isn't going to live all that long behind a blower motor, has enough trouble living behind stock horsepower levels.
$220 for a brand new drive shaft?. No way... show me lol. And I guess we can all be surprised at how long my auto trans has lasted thus far with the supercharger.

Quote:
Well the car I'd want to buy is about 30-35k. Payments would be about $500 a month for 4years. I think 2k for trans is much cheaper then lol!. The rebuilder is one that my friends shop uses. He's apparently rebuilt many transmissions for MANY boosted Bimmers and does back his warranty for 3 years from my understanding. So all in all it sounds pretty good so far. I think the E90 looks like crap. E46 definitely looks a lot better in my opinion also.

Here's the factors I have to deal with here and you guys right now are all helping my decision with this.

Auto vs manual trans swap. Considering if I get he manual I can't just get a OEM clutch or pressure plate can I?. I'm going to have to spend even more so it is suitable w/ the power I produce.
Now with the auto all I've got to do is pay 2k for the rebuilt trans all beefed up and a new drive shaft put it in and be rockin out. Only issue here is I have to pay for labor by my shop to put the trans in to get the warranty on the trans. As for the drive shaft I can put that in myself with no problems I assume. I mean it's just a drive shaft.... doesn't seem to hard.

edit: I forgot to mention. The trans lasted with the supercharger for a year and a half. Beginning at 145k miles or so and now at 180k. But soon as I put that intercooler on w/ the 8psi pulley. The whole drive train started to go.

Last edited by MalibuMafiaV; 02-14-2012 at 03:15 PM.
Old 02-14-2012, 03:10 PM
Living Life At The Beach

Quote:
2k is more than enough for a manual swap. And, he would need a level 10 rebuilt trans (if he stays auto) which is $4000 to make it last. A stock rebuild will die again.
All very true, but look at how long the stock trans lasted, and I don't think it's had an easy life. I also agree with Mal about driving a manual in LA traffic. I drove a manual for years going up and down the Parkway, and in rush hour traffic, it was h*ll. Beefing up the weak points, by a guy who knows what he is doing might be sufficient. It's not like the car is gonna last another 30 years. LOL OR maybe it will! A trans filter, and an inline microfine filter will add years to the life of the transmission.

http://www.fourwheeler.com/techartic...s/viewall.html
Old 02-14-2012, 03:13 PM
ROLL TIDE!

Quote:
All very true, but look at how long the stock trans lasted,
Who cares? A bimmer with forced induction should have a proper manual gearbox. Anything less is like french kissing your sister.

Mal,

You can get a suitable clutch and flywheel combo for $500

Check out my BMWBLOG!
Quote:
Old 02-14-2012, 03:16 PM
L4P

Quote:
Who cares? A bimmer with forced induction should have a proper manual gearbox. Anything less is like french kissing your sister.

Mal,

You can get a suitable clutch and flywheel combo for $500
What if you have a really hot sister though?. I thought Alabamians approve of this.

Smolck put it this way. If you think it can be done for 2.5k. Including manual swap w/ drive shaft and clutch/flywheel and your plane ticket. Then when do we start?.

Having a manual vs an auto in LA though will feel like this. The manual being the alarm clock.

Last edited by MalibuMafiaV; 02-14-2012 at 03:19 PM.
Old 02-14-2012, 03:32 PM
Living Life At The Beach

@Smolck

What you say is very true, but if you lived with VERY heavy traffic every day, you MIGHT change your opinion. Like I mentioned, I loved manual transmissions, and had nothing but for many years, however there were days when I just couldn't wait to get out of the car. For sparse traffic areas though, I agree with you 100%

Quote:
What if you have a really hot sister though?. I thought Alabamians approve of this.
I'm stepping back now, because I don't want to get any blood on my nice clean shirt! LOL BTW I DO live just below the Mason Dixon line, so I'm with the Southern boys!
Old 02-14-2012, 03:34 PM
L4P

Quote:
@Smolck

What you say is very true, but if you lived with VERY heavy traffic every day, you MIGHT change your opinion. Like I mentioned, I loved manual transmissions, and had nothing but for many years, however there were days when I just couldn't wait to get out of the car. For sparse traffic areas though, I agree with you 100%

I'm stepping back now, because I don't want to get any blood on my nice clean shirt! LOL BTW I DO live just below the Mason Dixon line, so I'm with the Southern boys!
Lol he knows I'm just messin w/ him on the sister thing.

Yeah like I said after driving many manual cars of my friends in traffic... I have no desire to ever own one as a daily driver. What would be cool is to put a SMG in the car... now that'd be different.
Old 02-14-2012, 04:25 PM
ROLL TIDE!

Quote:
@Smolck

What you say is very true, but if you lived with VERY heavy traffic every day, you MIGHT change your opinion. Like I mentioned, I loved manual transmissions, and had nothing but for many years, however there were days when I just couldn't wait to get out of the car. For sparse traffic areas though, I agree with you
Traffic has no bearing on a manual or auto in my life. My leg is strong enough to deal with it. I don't see this as a valid argument given the amount of crap auto transmissions bring with them. Furthermore, they make a great car less of a great car.

Check out my BMWBLOG!
Quote:
Old 02-14-2012, 05:15 PM
L4P

Smolck you missed what I said in post #41
Old 02-14-2012, 09:40 PM
We want the Lion!

Mein Auto: 03 ZHP, 01 X5, 73 MGB
Quote:
A bimmer with forced induction should have a proper manual gearbox. Anything less is like french kissing your sister.
That right there is quotable material.

Quote:
JUST...LOOK...UNDER...THE...CAR....for Chrissakes....it`s like checking to see if a dog is male or female....
Quote:
Old 02-15-2012, 07:36 AM
L4P

Well regardless I'll probably just get a beefed up auto trans. Unless Smolck wants to take up the project for 2.5k and that's including his plane ticket.
Old 02-15-2012, 08:23 AM
ROLL TIDE!

Mal,
I could probably do it for that amount, but the problem is time. I just dont have any to spare right now.

Check out my BMWBLOG!
Quote:
Old 02-15-2012, 08:30 AM
L4P

Quote:
Mal,
I could probably do it for that amount, but the problem is time. I just dont have any to spare right now.
That'd be awesome if you could. I always have the weekends off. And in a situation like this I could get Friday, sat, sun and monday off. Although once you get here and see our traffic. You might reconsider the manual

p.s. I think you should put an SMG in it... just sayin

Oh forgot to add. I'll probably just go pickup a drive shaft with low miles from a junk yard for now and see how that goes. I figured it's not a bad idea to give it a shot to see if some of the problems, vibrations and sounds go away.

Last edited by MalibuMafiaV; 02-15-2012 at 08:59 AM.
Old 02-15-2012, 10:08 AM
L4P

Update: I just ordered a flex joint guibo thingy and center support bearing from oembimmerparts.com , thanks Max!.
I also found a used drive shaft from a 330i for $150 w/ 81k miles on it I'll be picking up Friday. Going to install all of that Friday afternoon at my neighbors and let you all know how it goes.
Anyone have a DIY on the drive shaft?. or is it pretty straight forward?. I figured I'd just lift the car and figure it out lol.