Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 02-17-2012, 11:19 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 328
Additional Thoughts

There's some back and forth going on at f30post.com about the 328 vs 335. I've had the chance to drive both now and have some additional thoughts/2 cents. I would like to hear from everyone that has driven both.

I found the N20 to have plenty of power, especially in everyday traffic. In 99% of the driving most people do I feel anyone would find it difficult to notice a difference between the 328 and 335.

That being said, at higher highway speeds, both cars HOLD speed well, but at higher highway speed, when you stab the throttle the 335 gives a better shove. This should come as a surprise to no one as it should have the overall better top end. Acceleration in both were tested in sport mode. Both engines hold revs in sport mode. The paddle shifters made for quick shifts, every bit as fast, or faster, than any DSG transmission I've experienced.

Basically what it seems to come down to is top end throttle response and sound. In the cabin both sound pretty nice to rev in my opinion. When downshifting, BMW seems to have found, in the 335, that Japanese/coffee can exhaust sound that the fast and furious crowd likes so well. The exhaust seems to have a hollowed roar and reminds me a lot of the infiniti v6 fitted with a terrible exhaust. It sounds wonderful when revved aside from that occasional exhaust report. At idle, the 328 ticks and sounds kinda like a diesel. In cabin it has a pleasing rev, but nothing that stands out as stellar. And you don't really hear the tick/idle noise in cabin.

The start/stop system works well and restarts the engine quickly in both, I found it unobtrusive. There did seem to be more shudder when stopping the 335 versus the 328.

The 328 does seem more willing to turn in, and this was with the standard rack. I tried the variable rack in the 335, and felt as if it was intuitive. No learning curve, just steer and it goes where you point it, parking lot to highway speeds. The variable rack seems almost exactly like the sports option in the e90, firm and very precise off center at highway speeds.

The sports seats are leaps and bound better than the standard seats regarding support, but I'm in the just slightly taller demographic.

The HUD doesn't seem like a must have, but it was nice having my speed displayed out there in space.

The RFT on the sports line seemed a little louder, I didn't notice the supplier, but I think they were Goodyear. Still seemed quieter than my old Bridgestones. The tires on the 328 luxury line I drove were quieter than both, it seemed--Pirelli I think.

Can't really say I tested braking performance, but the 335 did seem to have better brake pedal feel.

That's it for now, chime in!
Ads by Google
Old 02-17-2012, 01:26 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW 335i Sedan
I haven't driven the 328i but have owned and ordered a new 335i.

I frequently drive close to
80 mph on highways and loved the passing ability of my N54 at speeds >70mph (no judgements here). this driving is with the flow of traffic here in Central Florida.

The top end power will be important to people who do a lot of highway driving in places with faster flows of traffic. Cannot wait for my car to arrive!!

2008 BMW 335i Retired
2009 BMW 535i Retired

2012 F30 335i sportline (Black Sapphire/Black Leatherette/Black High gloss trim, Technology, Sport Auto, Premium Sound, BMW Apps.)
Old 02-18-2012, 07:33 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 X1 xDrive28i
1. Does HUD comes with nav? Can HUD be turned off?
2. Does F30 have the Auto-Hold feature like in X3 when it comes to stop?
3. Is laser cruise option available for F30?
Old 02-18-2012, 07:45 AM
Enthusiast

Mein Auto: E92 335i Coupe
The HUD can be turned off but I am not sure that I ever would. I think its a great feature and you can adjust the information that shows on the display.

The F30 does not have the Auto-Hold feature.

The Active Cruise is not an option currently available on the 3 series.
Old 02-18-2012, 08:40 AM

Mein Auto: F30 328i Sport
Coming from 2 N54's i am more than pleased with the N20, but if the new 335 came with the N54, i would have seriously considered it.
Old 02-18-2012, 11:26 AM
bucket list man

Mein Auto: 335I
328 vs 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzcrna View Post
I haven't driven the 328i but have owned and ordered a new 335i.

I frequently drive close to
80 mph on highways and loved the passing ability of my N54 at speeds >70mph (no judgements here). this driving is with the flow of traffic here in Central Florida.

The top end power will be important to people who do a lot of highway driving in places with faster flows of traffic. Cannot wait for my car to arrive!!
I have ordered a F-30 335i as well for ED in May. Being that I have never owned let alone driven a BMW in my life; I took time yesterday to test drive a 2012 335i automatic Sport.
I was totally blown away how responsive and quick this vehicle accelerates ! Merging from an on-ramp while barely punching the accelerator: I was at 82 MPH within seconds. This car is down right awesome . Guess so since I currently drive a 2012 Ford Fusion SEL six cylinder for a company car.
After that ride I had no desire to test drive the 328. I'm sure it's a fun vehicle to drive as well, but I'll stick with the six cylinder.
Oh come on May !