Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 01-31-2012, 02:09 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 e53 3.0d facelift
2004 E53 excessive dash air vent wind noise

Hi,

Only had the vehicle a few weeks so not sure whats normal, but I've noticed that I'm getting a lot of rushing air noise from the air vents mounted in the dash.

If I direct the air onto the screen only its almost silent (but air is flowing), same when directed to the footwells. But once air is directed to the dash mounted vents, with or without it still going to screen and footwells, the wind noise becomes very noticeable.

Also noticed that if I turn the knurled temperature wheel in between the centre vents to cold it gets noisier, but putting it on max hot makes it much quieter.

Is this usual in an X5? If not, could it be a twisted pipe in the dash perhaps? Is it easy to get the vent cover off and pull / twist the attached tubing (if thats how it works).

Thanks.
Advertisement
Old 01-31-2012, 06:04 PM
Propellers Up Front

Mein Auto: Some Bavarian car outside
I do believe that your recirc is off. The little button on your A/C controller on the right side that has two circles, one with an A inside with three settings that can be changed. One green light is for Auto-recirc (A inside of circle.) In this mode when the vehicle smells foul outside air, a sensor closes the flaps behind the dash and secures the occupants inside from that foul smell. Green light on the Circle means Recirc is on and the flap behind the dash is closed all the time. Both lights off means the flaps behind the dash remain open all the time. In this mode and sometimes in the auto mode, while the flaps are open as you're driving the relative wind created by the vehicle moving through the air causes the air to rush through the vents. That's why you may hear/feel ambient air through the vents even with the system off because they are open while the system is off. If its cold outside the air the air blowing would probably be cold. The roller wheel up between the vents is the dehumidifier setting. This is sometimes left all the way red while running the A/C and can be misdiagnosed as A/C not blowing cold. The air would be very warm if its on red and you're trying to cool the car, and the air can be pretty warm if its on blue while trying to heat the car. I usually leave it in the middle. When reversing the flaps behind the dash close to prevent exhaust gasses from being sucked into the cabin. So if turning on your recirc doesn't stop the issue, you may have another issue. In other words, it doesn't seem you have an issue. Hope this helps a little.
Old 02-01-2012, 02:51 AM

Hi,

I've fiddled about and tracked down to whats triggering the sound - but not yet whats the cause.

The knurled temperature wheel in the centre dash vent triggers it. When set to max hot the air noise is virtually silent - when set to any cold setting the sound of a waterfall kicks in. Its like travelling in an aircraft and I'm afraid not tolerable.

Checked the recirc setting and thats working correctly. When I put it on manual recirc the fan speed increases as expected.
Old 02-19-2012, 04:44 AM

Video of problem

I've removed the air vent and run a test - its still noisy.

There is a video I've made to show the problem with the air vents removed, to show that the issue is not caused by the vents themselves.

Video: