Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 02-17-2012, 01:21 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 04 325i ZSP
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_clueless View Post
250K is the new 100K.
and what percentage of the population earns that much? I went to a Big Ten law school (university of michigan), graduated near the top of my class, and have a job at one of the top firms in metro detroit...and I know what lawyers make...

Don't get me wrong, I love cars, I love BMWs (have had a bunch over the years)...but I think its foolish to spend $60k on a 3 series...

especially after what just happened in the economy, and now that I have two kids with projected college costs that are through the roof.

I sincerely doubt most people leasing have as much cash as they should...

If you make $150k a year, do you have 6 months salary IN LIQUID CASH in case you lose your job?

Also, are you FULLY FUNDING 401k, college savings plan, etc?

328 or for me please!
Old 02-17-2012, 01:41 PM
Squeal like a BMW

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi A4
Quote:
Originally Posted by tagheuer View Post
328 or for me please!
Optioned similarly the 328i is not that much less expensive than the 335i. I do agree, these cars have gotten ridiculously expensive and I think BMW will have a harder time justifying the premium over the competition. This won't stop Americans from buying/leasing cars they can't afford.
Old 02-17-2012, 02:37 PM

Mein Auto: F30 335i AT; '14 Stingray
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnc_22 View Post
Optioned similarly the 328i is not that much less expensive than the 335i. I do agree, these cars have gotten ridiculously expensive and I think BMW will have a harder time justifying the premium over the competition. This won't stop Americans from buying/leasing cars they can't afford.
Analysis of the cost of an F30 without consideration for the high residual/resale is faulty economics.
Old 02-17-2012, 02:52 PM

Mein Auto: German
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Ducky View Post
Analysis of the cost of an F30 without consideration for the high residual/resale is faulty economics.
You must mean the artificially BMW subsidized inflated residuals that they sell leases on. I can't think of A single place where these off lease cars are actually worth what the residuals say they're worth.

These inflated residuals make BMWs affordable to own, but kill resale in the long run
Old 02-17-2012, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoUnion View Post
You must mean the artificially BMW subsidized inflated residuals that they sell leases on. I can't think of A single place where these off lease cars are actually worth what the residuals say they're worth.

These inflated residuals make BMWs affordable to own, but kill resale in the long run
But since in a lease you are buying depreciation, the higher the residual the lower the 'purchase' price. If the fiscal air is too rarified, suggest a lower altitude.
Old 02-17-2012, 05:39 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW 335i Sedan
Quote:
and what percentage of the population earns that much? I went to a Big Ten law school (university of michigan), graduated near the top of my class, and have a job at one of the top firms in metro detroit...and I know what lawyers make...

Don't get me wrong, I love cars, I love BMWs (have had a bunch over the years)...but I think its foolish to spend $60k on a 3 series...

especially after what just happened in the economy, and now that I have two kids with projected college costs that are through the roof.

I sincerely doubt most people leasing have as much cash as they should...

If you make $150k a year, do you have 6 months salary IN LIQUID CASH in case you lose your job?

Also, are you FULLY FUNDING 401k, college savings plan, etc?

328 or for me please!
Thats how I felt when I bought my 5 series LOL, "maybe that wasn't the brightest idea". I tried justifying it by the .9% APR in 2009.

2008 BMW 335i Retired
2009 BMW 535i Retired

2012 F30 335i sportline (Black Sapphire/Black Leatherette/Black High gloss trim, Technology, Sport Auto, Premium Sound, BMW Apps.)
Old 02-17-2012, 05:43 PM

Mein Auto: 04 325i ZSP
agree with Rubber Ducky, the subsidized BMW leases make driving a $60k 3 series tolerable...

But that's exactly my point, in the other thread about the poster asking why everyone leases...well....that's why....because not many people can truly afford to buy one.

Take a $56k 3 series, put $10k down, finance over 5 years at 4% interest = $847.16 per month.....on a straight finance...

good lord...

Could I afford that on my fancy lawyer salary, sure, it wouldn't drastically change my lifestyle, I'll still go out to dinner, drink Woodford Reserve instead of Jack Daniels, etc.

But that's also $900 a month I'm not putting into some sort of investment, or saving for college, etc. etc.

I lease too, usually ED, and have been able to always get a BMW for $400 a month or even less, with the whole MSD program and all that..
Old 02-18-2012, 07:28 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 X1 xDrive28i
Depends on the mileage driven, after 5 years what would that car worth? 15k / 60 months = $250 / months 847 - 250 = about $600. $10k down is another $166/month equivalent.
However you need to compare with $0 down finance and $0 down lease.
You also pay tax on full amount with purchase vs partial on lease (depends on state), and you only get some tax benefit back if you trade in to purchase another car.
Not to mention out of warranty or payment for extended warranty/maint.
I guess people who are handy or have access to a good independent mechanic would make sense to purchase.

You get more value with a non-optioned 3 series after 5 years so finance.
Old 02-18-2012, 09:26 AM

Mein Auto: 5
Quote:

Take a $56k 3 series, put $10k down, finance over 5 years at 4% interest = $847.16 per month.....on a straight finance...

good lord...
Put that 56k into verizon stock and yield is $250 a month if not for those pesky taxes.
Old 02-18-2012, 12:10 PM

Back to topic...I have only driven cars with the N54, How does your N55 F30 compare to your E60 N54?

2008 BMW 335i Retired
2009 BMW 535i Retired

2012 F30 335i sportline (Black Sapphire/Black Leatherette/Black High gloss trim, Technology, Sport Auto, Premium Sound, BMW Apps.)
Old 02-18-2012, 01:14 PM

I had a 328i sport line park next to me last night. Looked fantastic. The weird angles of the front look great in real life
Old 02-18-2012, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzcrna View Post
Back to topic...I have only driven cars with the N54, How does your N55 F30 compare to your E60 N54?
I've driven both back to back during one of those BMW test drive events for a while. Quick difference is that the N54 is definitely stronger and has less turbo lag, but the N55 seems to rev higher. I remember looking at dynos that said that N55 makes a good amount less power than the N54
Old 02-19-2012, 06:28 AM

Update at 750 miles

Took a drive to Orlando yesterday. Freeway, city traffic. The 335i was magnificent - best driving car for the real world ever.

Driving Mode: Have settled on D Sport, full automatic for regular driving. 8-speed is uncanny, always in right gear, gobs of torque always there. Cruising I may shift to Comfort for the mileage but downshift with the paddles to get around slower traffic etc. Have tried paddles-only enough to believe that - fun as it may be - it's not the way to get the most from the car. Manual transmission? that's what my Corvette is for...

Big upgrade to the Nav system in F30. Twice yesterday it steered me around a traffic mess, big congestion going south-to-north in Orlando and Winter Park and a closed Beeline heading back to the beach. Aside route finding, the traffic feature is great for giving early warnings of trouble ahead and finding the best way around it. And, as said before but still impressive, it updates instantly if you deviate from its preferred routing. Timing of its voice directions is spot-on - seemed to lag in earlier versions.

Seats are splendid - best in my 10 BMWs. Excellent view out.

HUD also really good. Constant presentation of Nav info. The wheelie button on the right side steering wheel is interesting - info it generates also shows in HUD for a bit.

BMW Apps seem worthless unless you're going to actually plug in your smart phone (as opposed to Bluetooth connectivity and leave it in your pocket).

iDrive even more intuitive than earlier versions.

I continue to assert that the car handles like an M3. Point-and-shoot. this car just goes where you want when you want as fast as you want.

Adaptive sport steering gives the steering a great feel in tight places and twisties.

Looks like around 24.0 mpg for mostly city driving.

I turn off the Stop/Start every time. Works fine but strikes me as one step too weird. Ditto ECO-Pro. Wanna save gas? Stay home.

Storage very good in the cabin (don't miss the little pooka to left of steering wheel). Big net in back held down a propane jug nicely. Fold-down seats easy to use. Mirror coverage is fine. control displays very good (white in daylight, red at night).

One problem with the car as delivered: the vent-blower fan is unbalanced at high rpms and sounds like a helo lifting off. New one coming from Germany. As always a great service operation at Melbourne BMW (new name for The Imported Car Store and complete facility overhaul in progress).

Last edited by Rubber Ducky; 02-19-2012 at 06:34 AM.
Old 02-19-2012, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Ducky View Post
Took a drive to Orlando yesterday. Freeway, city traffic. The 335i was magnificent - best driving car for the real world ever.

Driving Mode: Have settled on D Sport, full automatic for regular driving. 8-speed is uncanny, always in right gear, gobs of torque always there. Cruising I may shift to Comfort for the mileage but downshift with the paddles to get around slower traffic etc. Have tried paddles-only enough to believe that - fun as it may be - it's not the way to get the most from the car. Manual transmission? that's what my Corvette is for...

Big upgrade to the Nav system in F30. Twice yesterday it steered me around a traffic mess, big congestion going south-to-north in Orlando and Winter Park and a closed Beeline heading back to the beach. Aside route finding, the traffic feature is great for giving early warnings of trouble ahead and finding the best way around it. And, as said before but still impressive, it updates instantly if you deviate from its preferred routing. Timing of its voice directions is spot-on - seemed to lag in earlier versions.

Seats are splendid - best in my 10 BMWs. Excellent view out.

HUD also really good. Constant presentation of Nav info. The wheelie button on the right side steering wheel is interesting - info it generates also shows in HUD for a bit.

BMW Apps seem worthless unless you're going to actually plug in your smart phone (as opposed to Bluetooth connectivity and leave it in your pocket).

iDrive even more intuitive than earlier versions.

I continue to assert that the car handles like an M3. Point-and-shoot. this car just goes where you want when you want as fast as you want.

Adaptive sport steering gives the steering a great feel in tight places and twisties.

Looks like around 24.0 mpg for mostly city driving.

I turn off the Stop/Start every time. Works fine but strikes me as one step too weird. Ditto ECO-Pro. Wanna save gas? Stay home.

Storage very good in the cabin (don't miss the little pooka to left of steering wheel). Big net in back held down a propane jug nicely. Fold-down seats easy to use. Mirror coverage is fine. control displays very good (white in daylight, red at night).

One problem with the car as delivered: the vent-blower fan is unbalanced at high rpms and sounds like a helo lifting off. New one coming from Germany. As always a great service operation at Melbourne BMW (new name for The Imported Car Store and complete facility overhaul in progress).
At first I was getting nervous about getting the 335i vs. the 328i, but I think I made the right decision.

I spend tons of time on the highway in Orlando on speeds in excess of 75mph and need the high end power to pass on demand.

Have you noticed a significant difference in power between the N54 and N55 engine?

2008 BMW 335i Retired
2009 BMW 535i Retired

Old 02-19-2012, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzcrna View Post
At first I was getting nervous about getting the 335i vs. the 328i, but I think I made the right decision.

I spend tons of time on the highway in Orlando on speeds in excess of 75mph and need the high end power to pass on demand.

Have you noticed a significant difference in power between the N54 and N55 engine?
Have had three N54s and now this N55. My take: there might be the tiniest lag in the N55 ... but it feels like throttle lag, not turbo and you have to look for it even then. The N55 seems to spool up faster...

My story and sticking to it...