Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 11-19-2011, 02:10 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 x5
If there are any audiophiles out there check out Reuss Audio Systems. They custom build a sound system engineered and tuned for an individual car. They do not make boom boxes but rather high end esoteric auto sound systems. I have high end sound equipment at home and have a Reuss system in my Ferrari. There is nothing better out there.
Old 11-19-2011, 05:29 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1999 M3 Coupe & 2009 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by bretskyg View Post
If there are any audiophiles out there check out Reuss Audio Systems. They custom build a sound system engineered and tuned for an individual car. They do not make boom boxes but rather high end esoteric auto sound systems. I have high end sound equipment at home and have a Reuss system in my Ferrari. There is nothing better out there.
What do you have at home? Just curious.
Old 11-19-2011, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyde View Post
CD playback, very good sound but who is going to carry CDs to take advantage of the sound?
Buy this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822149191

$140 for 1TB of storage is pretty damn good. You can also get smaller usb drives etc...

If you have (or access to) a windows 7 computer, then use Windows media center to burn your cd's to your computer's hard drive. When you're done, then copy all that data from your music folder to your external 1TB hard drive and voila! You have full access to all your cd's without carrying any of them

IMPORTANT NOTE: before you burn any cd's, open windows media player. Go to "Tools" then "Options" then the "Rip Music" tab and set the format to "Windows Media Audio Lossless."

Don't worry about having too many cd's to scroll through. Your I-drive controller can "super-scroll."

It really is that simple. If you need a demo, let me know.

Last edited by Jim E.; 11-19-2011 at 05:48 PM.
Old 11-19-2011, 05:57 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 X5
Thanks Jim. I had an 80GB HDD in my older vehicle that I used via USB and it was painfully slow, the load times took a while.
When you first start your BMW, does it take some time to list the songs/albums? I still have a 250GB external hard drive that I can try, I just need to get an enclosure.
Old 11-19-2011, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyde View Post
Thanks Jim. I had an 80GB HDD in my older vehicle that I used via USB and it was painfully slow, the load times took a while.
When you first start your BMW, does it take some time to list the songs/albums? I still have a 250GB external hard drive that I can try, I just need to get an enclosure.
In my 2011 X5 once it organized the library for the first time, it basically keeps it in memory and is usually available approximately, 20 seconds to a couple of minutes after I start it.

Keep in mind that I have a total of over 750 cd's on that drive, all in lossless format.

Note that I say this works on my 2011 X5. My 2009 335d cannot read that drive but does read a 240gig one.

Going from song to song or cd to cd is fairly quick too. Once you transfer the music folder to the external drive, it's a good idea to defrag the drive.

What is/was your older vehicle?

Last edited by Jim E.; 11-19-2011 at 06:22 PM.
Old 11-19-2011, 06:28 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 X5
It was a jeep with USB input radio.
I will try with my older drive, it could be the rpm of the drive, it could be USB1 head unit, etc..
By the way, nobody knows what format BMW uses to rip CD's to On-Board hard drive?
Old 11-19-2011, 07:51 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 x5
At home I have a pair of vintage Dynaco monoblock tube amps, Keff speakers, sophisticated speaker cables and interconnects, Audre' preamp, ProJect tube phono stage preamp, Dual Phono and California Audio CD player.
Old 02-22-2012, 01:27 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 X5 35D
eldorado01, Thank you so much for providing your tune...I almost lost my mind trying to get the EQ where I wanted it and the C/V technique wasn't getting me there.

The sound system is closer to my Infiniti now. The boominess, and tin can effect all but gone. I'll reserve judgement on the money spent till the speakers have more hours of break-in.

Regards,
Zephion

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldorado01 View Post
Here's what I found and the results are surprising.

I set the bass and treble to 0 or the midline and turned the surround off.
I followed the instructions on the CD and set the Radio Shack SPL meter to 80dB, placed the Rives CD on the player and went to the tracks specifically calibrated for the meter. I played the 1 KHz tone and turned the volume up until it went steady to 80 dB. Then I calibrated all the other bands as close to a flat 80 dB as I could. Here's what I got:

100 Hz : -10 (all the way left)
200 Hz: -10
500Hz : -9
1 KHz: +2
2 KHz: -3
5KHz: -10
10 KHz: +9

No C, V, or any other curve shape to be seen.

Then I played the track that I consider my personal best test: Hotel California Live from the Hell Freezes Over CD. It has a nice guitar solo to start, booming clean bass and the shrilling vocals of Don Henley. Now the guitar is clean, the bass is solid without that muddy shakiness of before and the vocals don't come out hollow. It's not perfect, but a very significant improvement. My speakers are fairly new, about 400 miles of use, so I will retest after a few weeks to recalibrate if necessary. And the same track from the iPod is now almost indistinguishable from the CD. I can play the music louder that before without distortion bothering me.

I'm surprised with the results, but my ears are happier.