Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 01-25-2012, 07:30 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via ICQ to groundeffect
Mein Auto: 335i
Well, there is a recall out for some batteries, Check it out, I just got one free.
Old 01-26-2012, 10:29 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 328i Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by groundeffect View Post
Well, there is a recall out for some batteries, Check it out, I just got one free.
Thanks for letting us know

2011 328i Convertible | Black Sapphire Metallic | Black Dakota Leather | Bamboo Anthracite Wood Trim| Sports | Premium | Comfort Access | Heated Seats | Navigation | Harmon Kardon | iPod/USB
Old 01-26-2012, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lufthansa View Post
It's issues like these that will probably deter me from another BMW (after 3 since 1995).
Hi Lufthansa, you mean any series other than the 3 has battery issues?

2011 328i Convertible | Black Sapphire Metallic | Black Dakota Leather | Bamboo Anthracite Wood Trim| Sports | Premium | Comfort Access | Heated Seats | Navigation | Harmon Kardon | iPod/USB
Old 02-01-2012, 07:14 PM

Hi all, sorry been swarmed with work for the past many days. Meant to post an update here sooner.

The BMW engineer came to my condo and ran some tests on my car. All seems to be working great. The car was sleeping soundly. The alternator seemed to be doing its work, the charging level is 14.3 The voltage when the car was sleeping - 12.73V (if I remembered correctly). I am pretty sure he said it was voltage of a 99% charged battery.

He hooked up many cables, put in a gadget and left but to return in an hour. He drove up n parked next to my car and said he would charged my car battery while he rana test so that my car battery would not deplete any of mine as a result. So he hooked up his laptop n started generating data. He mentioned there are 60 computers in my car, and the full data was 50 pages long. The data would tell him everythingabout the car for the last 45 days. He said he would look through them n if he sees any abnormality, he would call me.

Told him I haven't gotten the reimbursement for the battery and the service center scratched my steering wheel. He said he would talk to the service director on Monday when he was scheduled to visit. He would also make sure the scratched part would be taken care of.

On Monday he called back and said the reimbursement check has been sent and I should receive it this week. He was being told the check needed two signatures so that took quite a bit of time. He also said the next time when I was due for service (oil change), to remind my SA that my scratched leather needs to be fixed. He said he has make sure that has been placed in my file.

The engineer has been so kind n helpful. I feel really grateful knowing he is always going to be around to help

So hopefully my car will be happy from now onwards and not give me any same issue again *fingers crossed*

Old 02-01-2012, 08:54 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 E92; '07Lexus GS350
Quote:
Originally Posted by terri_atl View Post
Hi Lufthansa, you mean any series other than the 3 has battery issues?
No, I mean I probably have my last BMW. FWIW, regarding just the battery issue, my Lexus has significantly more electronics than the BMW, and has gone weeks without being driven with no issues, or an owners manual advising how far or under what conditions it should be driven to preserve the battery. Also, when it comes time for a new one, the dealer wants about $130 for a replacement, and has no idea what 'registering' it means.
Old 02-02-2012, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lufthansa View Post
No, I mean I probably have my last BMW. FWIW, regarding just the battery issue, my Lexus has significantly more electronics than the BMW, and has gone weeks without being driven with no issues, or an owners manual advising how far or under what conditions it should be driven to preserve the battery. Also, when it comes time for a new one, the dealer wants about $130 for a replacement, and has no idea what 'registering' it means.
Oh

Old 02-02-2012, 03:55 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 X5 4.8i
Quote:
Hi all, sorry been swarmed with work for the past many days. Meant to post an update here sooner.

The BMW engineer came to my condo and ran some tests on my car. All seems to be working great. The car was sleeping soundly. The alternator seemed to be doing its work, the charging level is 14.3 The voltage when the car was sleeping - 12.73V (if I remembered correctly). I am pretty sure he said it was voltage of a 99% charged battery.

He hooked up many cables, put in a gadget and left but to return in an hour. He drove up n parked next to my car and said he would charged my car battery while he rana test so that my car battery would not deplete any of mine as a result. So he hooked up his laptop n started generating data. He mentioned there are 60 computers in my car, and the full data was 50 pages long. The data would tell him everythingabout the car for the last 45 days. He said he would look through them n if he sees any abnormality, he would call me.

Told him I haven't gotten the reimbursement for the battery and the service center scratched my steering wheel. He said he would talk to the service director on Monday when he was scheduled to visit. He would also make sure the scratched part would be taken care of.

On Monday he called back and said the reimbursement check has been sent and I should receive it this week. He was being told the check needed two signatures so that took quite a bit of time. He also said the next time when I was due for service (oil change), to remind my SA that my scratched leather needs to be fixed. He said he has make sure that has been placed in my file.

The engineer has been so kind n helpful. I feel really grateful knowing he is always going to be around to help

So hopefully my car will be happy from now onwards and not give me any same issue again *fingers crossed*
To sum it up the battery was replaced and no other issues found?
Old 02-02-2012, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny5280 View Post
To sum it up the battery was replaced and no other issues found?
Yes, that was right!

am I being too long-winded here sorry.

Old 02-02-2012, 06:13 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 X5 4.8i
Quote:
Yes, that was right!

am I being too long-winded here sorry.
Not at all...I was just summarizing for my benefit. Wanted to be sure I didn't miss anything.
Old 02-02-2012, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny5280 View Post
Not at all...I was just summarizing for my benefit. Wanted to be sure I didn't miss anything.
Okie

Old 02-02-2012, 07:04 PM
Cobb-Powered N55

Mein Auto: 2011 E93 335i
Quote:
So hopefully my car will be happy from now onwards and not give me any same issue again
Great news, Terri!
Old 02-02-2012, 09:21 PM
Cobb-Powered N55

Mein Auto: 2011 E93 335i
Terri, were you able to get any resolution on your "unassigned" heated seats problem?
Old 02-03-2012, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verts4Ever View Post
Terri, were you able to get any resolution on your "unassigned" heated seats problem?
Hi Verts4Ever, not yet. You see this "unassigned" heated seats that flashed across the iDrive doesn't show up every time but the engineer said to take a pic of it the next x it shows up n email him. The weather is like in the 50s here on average, it was 65F yesterday. Crazy winter, so I didn't get to use the heated seats much. But I will be watching it.

Old 02-03-2012, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verts4Ever View Post
Great news, Terri!
Thanks

Old 02-22-2012, 10:49 AM

Mein Auto: 335is Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by cronimi View Post
Hi Terri. I've recently begun experiencing the same problem - increased battery discharge messages and wonky CA activity. I've read through this thread (admittedly in 2 separate sessions, so I might have missed something) but didn't see how you learned to access the on-board computer. I found these two guides (iDrive and non-iDrive), but the iDrive version (at least) looks like an older version of iDrive. I'd like to gather some data as I expect a fight from the only BMW dealer in town. How did you unlock the OBC?

Thanks!
Oh, s**t! I also have a 2011 335is, delivered December 2010. So far I have had no problems whatsoever. But your message worries me. Most of my driving is in the city but about once a week I drive it about 20 miles on the highway.
Old 02-22-2012, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBinDC View Post
Oh, s**t! I also have a 2011 335is, delivered December 2010. So far I have had no problems whatsoever. But your message worries me. Most of my driving is in the city but about once a week I drive it about 20 miles on the highway.
Hi RBinDC! Maybe I just have a defective battery? I dunno, it's still a mystery. But trust me when the dealer/service center kept citing my city driving (most of the time) will cause battery problem. I do take it out on highways from 1-2 times over the weekends before to now 2-3 times a week. My only worry now is I will be targeted by bad police, cos my friend recently told me about a cop telling her she has a nice car (X5), no job (she doesn't need to work); he has to work and his job is to give out tickets. Of cos she got a ticket from him. It spooked me when I see a cop on the road nowadays So now I know some cops target on nicer cars.

Old 02-22-2012, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Oh maybe when the next time you sent your car for service, ask them to check what is the state of charge of your battery. If your weekend highway driving does the "job", the state of charge should be one of an almost fully charged battery

You can also try to unlock the OBC to monitor it once a while but I say since you don't have any issue, just don't worry

Old 02-22-2012, 01:01 PM

Mein Auto: '11 E93 335is & '08 535xi
Quote:
That's just the BS reason the BMW techs have been told to dish out. I have not had any problems with my 2011 335is either, but admittedly, my car does not have the alarm system installed which I feel is the root cause for this issue.

For some reason, my wife's '08 535xi does not go to sleep properly (even when locked) and the battery drains with the car sitting in the garage. This issue surfaced very early in our ownership, and if you have not had any problems so far, there is a good chance that you won't.

But, to be on the safe side, keep a battery tender on the battery to keep it fully charged when you are not going to drive it for a couple of days.

Current Stablemates:
'14 MB GL450; '12 Porsche 911 GTS Cabriolet (MT); '11 BMW E93 335is (DCT); '11 BMW E90 M3 (MT); '11 Audi S4 (DSG); '08 BMW E60 535xi; '08 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
Favorite Cars Gone But Not Forgotten:
'09 Corvette ZO6; '04 MB S600; '01 BMW 740iL; '01 Corvette; '90 Nissan 300ZX 2+2; '89 Jeep Grand Wagoneer; '79 BMW 320i; '79 MB 300D; '71 Pontiac Firebird Formula 400; '67 MG Midget
Old 02-22-2012, 01:04 PM

Mein Auto: 335is Coupe
Quote:
So now I know some cops target on nicer cars.
Well your car certainly qualifies as "nice."
Old 02-22-2012, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Well your car certainly qualifies as "nice."
Should I say "thanks"?

I couldn't sleep well that night when she told me that afternoon. I live in the city, lots of police prying on the road. Those police who target on drivers cos of what they drive should never be in the force. We work hard for our money and for our cars. Oh, and most of us work hard starting by going to college. Don't you think?

Last edited by terri_atl; 02-22-2012 at 01:41 PM.
Old 02-22-2012, 03:27 PM

Mein Auto: '11 E93 335is & '08 535xi
Quote:
Should I say "thanks"?

I couldn't sleep well that night when she told me that afternoon. I live in the city, lots of police prying on the road. Those police who target on drivers cos of what they drive should never be in the force. We work hard for our money and for our cars. Oh, and most of us work hard starting by going to college. Don't you think?
In my experience, police typically like nice cars. I've been pulled over because the officer merely wanted a closer look when I was driving one of my Corvettes.

Current Stablemates:
'14 MB GL450; '12 Porsche 911 GTS Cabriolet (MT); '11 BMW E93 335is (DCT); '11 BMW E90 M3 (MT); '11 Audi S4 (DSG); '08 BMW E60 535xi; '08 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
Favorite Cars Gone But Not Forgotten:
'09 Corvette ZO6; '04 MB S600; '01 BMW 740iL; '01 Corvette; '90 Nissan 300ZX 2+2; '89 Jeep Grand Wagoneer; '79 BMW 320i; '79 MB 300D; '71 Pontiac Firebird Formula 400; '67 MG Midget

Last edited by beden1; 02-22-2012 at 03:29 PM.
Old 02-22-2012, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beden1 View Post
In my experience, police typically like nice cars. I've been pulled over because the officer merely wanted a closer look when I was driving one of my Corvettes.
Oh, not when he wants to give me a tix
He can ask for my number but not my driver's license Anyway, I dunno.. maybe my friend and I belong to those who will "suffer in silence" type, I will be scared

Old 02-27-2012, 02:05 PM
*** Team America ***

Mein Auto: 335i
Thumbs up

Quote:
Oh, not when he wants to give me a tix
He can ask for my number but not my driver's license Anyway, I dunno.. maybe my friend and I belong to those who will "suffer in silence" type, I will be scared
That's how I met my Wife!!
She brought me to Jail so much she finally brought me home, where I have been ever Since!!!
Old 02-27-2012, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by x26 View Post
That's how I met my Wife!!
She brought me to Jail so much she finally brought me home, where I have been ever Since!!!
You not kidding, are you??

Old 02-27-2012, 09:23 PM
Chairman of the Bored

Mein Auto: 2013 650i Coupe
Cops and lots of other folks believe that the difference between a porcupine and a BMW is that a porcupine has the pricks on the outside.

2012 328i Coupe
2013 650i Coupe ( retired for Porsche 911 )