Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 02-21-2012, 06:59 AM
1oz perception-1# obscure

Mein Auto: 2013 535i XDrive M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnc_22 View Post
F20 3 or 5 door would get me to the dealer in a hurry. I drove SAABs for 10 years before the 335i and there's no beating the utility of a hatchback. My cooler on wheels will not fit through the trunk opening on my E90. Not a big deal but makes me want another hatchback. I'll give the redesigned A3 a look if BMW insists on selling me an impractical car.
BMW would like to sell you an X3. Cool car; just a little too cute on the front end for me.
Old 02-21-2012, 07:26 AM
Squeal like a BMW

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi A4
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJGreer View Post
BMW would like to sell you an X3. Cool car; just a little too cute on the front end for me.
BMW can stick their SUV's where the sun don't shine. My E90 is already too large for my needs. If they refuse to sell me what I want, someone else will. I might even consider a Mini.
Old 02-21-2012, 10:22 AM
1oz perception-1# obscure

Mein Auto: 2013 535i XDrive M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnc_22 View Post
BMW can stick their SUV's where the sun don't shine. My E90 is already too large for my needs. If they refuse to sell me what I want, someone else will. I might even consider a Mini.
I'm just saying.

Meanwhile, the new spy shots of the F31 I just saw on Bimmerpost do look really sharp.
Old 02-21-2012, 07:18 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW 3 Series M3
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by raleedy View Post
Horses for courses. I'm hanging on to my '08 328i for the normally aspirated six. I like the N20 for its economy, but the advantages even in fuel consumption are small.
Quote:
Originally Posted by raleedy View Post
"Slow" is relative. N52 powered 328i is quicker than any M5 prior to the E39.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Schott View Post
It's wrong to say the N52 is "slow as hell". If the N20 does 0-60 in about 5.5 seconds according to Car and Driver and the N52 5.9 according to the same magazine, that's not a very large difference. I'm not commenting on the sportiness of the N20 but the difference is pretty small. And for sure the N52 is sporty. It eagerly roars to the redline and in the midrange gets on the cam and scoots.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtc100 View Post
I agree with the OP, the N20 is fast on the foot and will make many people happy, especially those who migrate from the competing brands. But once you are used to the N52 rev, the N20 felt like a diesel.

Anyone who thinks the N52 is slow, probably never liked to rev high, if so, what a waste of driving that N52, but the N20 will be perfect for you I agree.
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer842 View Post
Neilsarkar,

I drove a 328i Modern (Mineral Gray / All Beige Interior) this past weekend in Denver. I took it out for a good 45 minutes to test both highway and city driving. While the N20 is a noteable advancement in efficiency engineering, it doesn't feel or sound like a true BMW. The combination of the lighter steering (which makes it feel less accurate imo), softer ride and the quintessential sound and shake of a 4 cylinder really had me disappointed. The new 328 is a car that will attact more non-BMW drivers/buyers to the BMW brand precisely becuase it is moving towards being less of a BMW and more like competitors in the small sedan market. Granted, I did not drive the Sport Line 328i with adaptive sport steering; that model could potentially quell my steering and ride woes, but for me I opted for a 2012 E91 Sport with the N52. In the words of my brother: "There is no replacement for displacement" (2.0L vs. 3.0L).

Build quality item I noticed on the test drive: The mirrors vibrate pretty badly when you shut the front doors. Could have just been the one I drove.
Personal taste item: The all beige modern interior is sure to make an exit from the line-up. Otherwise, the cabin was fine.

It will be a big seller.

Spencer842
"While the N20 is a noteable advancement in efficiency engineering, it doesn't feel or sound like a true BMW. The combination of the lighter steering (which makes it feel less accurate imo), softer ride and the quintessential sound and shake of a 4 cylinder really had me disappointed."

+1x10...Had my second test drives, very long ones at my dealer the other day (unlike my short covert test drive under cover of darkness over the holidays (Christmas)...
335i pretty much the same with a silly cheap felling interior and the pathetic hood & front end design even worse looking up close and in the light of day...but the 328i was disapointing.
Interior look & feel soooo cheap right down to the thin cheap feel to all the buttons (compared to ones in the E46, very, very noticable)
Nice car like so many out there... just not a BMW...not the ones we have come to love...the "feel" is gone. Non BMW fans who want a cushy bling-bling economical car that has that artificial turbo rush will buy and enjoy these cars...but the thrill is gone.
Just nothing special about them any longer
I had a smile on my face when I got back into my lowly E46 after the test drive and the buttery smooth NA engine in that and the E9x M3 is still what a BMW is and should be
I'm sure they will sell millions to the minions

Last edited by 16n69; 02-21-2012 at 07:19 PM.
Old 02-21-2012, 07:37 PM

Mein Auto: F30 328i Sport
This message is hidden because 16n69 is on your ignore list.

Does anyone hate the F30 more than this guy?
Old 02-21-2012, 07:41 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335d & 2014 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinnum1 View Post

West?
Old 02-21-2012, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoucity View Post
West?
West is bad, but not as bad. But they both are serious trolls.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:06 PM

Mein Auto: German
^ Who the hell is that moron?
Old 02-21-2012, 08:12 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16n69 View Post
"While the N20 is a noteable advancement in efficiency engineering, it doesn't feel or sound like a true BMW. The combination of the lighter steering (which makes it feel less accurate imo), softer ride and the quintessential sound and shake of a 4 cylinder really had me disappointed."

+1x10...Had my second test drives, very long ones at my dealer the other day (unlike my short covert test drive under cover of darkness over the holidays (Christmas)...
335i pretty much the same with a silly cheap felling interior and the pathetic hood & front end design even worse looking up close and in the light of day...but the 328i was disapointing.
Interior look & feel soooo cheap right down to the thin cheap feel to all the buttons (compared to ones in the E46, very, very noticable)
Nice car like so many out there... just not a BMW...not the ones we have come to love...the "feel" is gone. Non BMW fans who want a cushy bling-bling economical car that has that artificial turbo rush will buy and enjoy these cars...but the thrill is gone.
I had a smile on my face when I got back into my lowly E46 after the test drive and the buttery smooth NA engine in that and the E9x M3 is still what a BMW is and should be
Of course there will be the new Caddy ATS that is supposedly to go after the E46 enthusiasts. Unfortunately even the ATS will sell most of them equipped with a 2.0T.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJGreer View Post
I think the 2013 X3 equipped with the N20 will be a good fit.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:19 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335d & 2014 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtc100 View Post
I think the 2013 X3 equipped with the N20 will be a good fit.
Yup, R.I.P. N52.
Old 02-22-2012, 10:15 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 328i SP
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoUnion View Post
^ Who the hell is that moron?
Biggest troll on E90post, don't pay attention to him.
Old 02-22-2012, 10:22 AM
Administrator

Mein Auto: Ti Silver 03 M3
InsideLine track tested the N52 inline 6 cylinder powered E90 328i verses the N20 turbo inline 4 cylinder F30 328i. Should be interesting to the discussion in this thread -

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=602719
Old 02-22-2012, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim330i View Post
InsideLine track tested the N52 inline 6 cylinder powered E90 328i verses the N20 turbo inline 4 cylinder F30 328i. Should be interesting to the discussion in this thread -

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=602719
When I test drove the F30 328i, I thought the acceleration at the low end was noticeably better than my E90 N52, as I did not have to rev the engine to get it going. But when I tried to rev the N20 it became painful close to 5000 rpm.

However reading the above Insideline comparison, the differences were actually less than what I felt, not to mention the E90 had all season tires, and the F30 was equipped with summer performance tires. The real world feel of the power improvement of the N20 is more noticeable than the stats are showing, because most people will not rev the engine high.

Last edited by dtc100; 02-22-2012 at 11:27 AM.
Old 02-22-2012, 06:37 PM

Exclamation

Quote:

oh...and the turbo lag was pronounced...BMW seems to somehow retained & engineered that "lag" that was in the E9x 328i... even though this is a totally different engine and FI not NA as well...go figure.
Old 02-22-2012, 07:12 PM

Mein Auto: '09 335i msport
Quote:
oh...and the turbo lag was pronounced...BMW seems to somehow retained & engineered that "lag" that was in the E9x 328i... even though this is a totally different engine and FI not NA as well...go figure.
lol.. below is the post you made in this thread when asked about turbo lag:

Quote:
Well, no discernible "lag"...that is a thing of the past, at least with most German cars...good jpb there, for sure.
..not sure what to believe from you 16n69.. you're an F30-contrarian to the nth.

Last edited by 7or8; 02-22-2012 at 07:53 PM.
Old 02-22-2012, 07:13 PM

Owned
Old 02-22-2012, 07:54 PM

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7or8 View Post
lol.. below is the post you made in this thread when asked about turbo lag:

..not sure what to believe from you 16n69.. your just F30-contrarian to the nth.
Uhh...that was a 5 minute test drive over the holidays...set up by a friend and we were somewhere we were NOT supposed to be driving company cars we should not have had access to, but did...and he drove FIRST...and probably set me up in SPORT + mode, I don't know, as I said very quick drive, for me at night, in the pouring rain...I was not gunning it, and i was a bit nervous at what we were doing.
Did not discern it then but on the long extended and RELAXED drive with my dealers car...I SURE DID...and it SUCKED BIG TIME, not acceptable for BMW and its heritage...PERIOD!
Old 02-22-2012, 07:55 PM

Question

Quote:
Owned
REALLY

Last edited by 16n69; 02-22-2012 at 07:56 PM.
Old 02-22-2012, 07:55 PM

Best feature ever!
Old 02-22-2012, 08:10 PM

Mein Auto: '09 335i msport
Quote:
Uhh...that was a 5 minute test drive over the holidays...set up by a friend and we were somewhere we were NOT supposed to be driving company cars we should not have had access to, but did...and he drove FIRST...and probably set me up in SPORT + mode, I don't know, as I said very quick drive, for me at night, in the pouring rain...I was not gunning it, and i was a bit nervous at what we were doing.
Did not discern it then but on the long extended and RELAXED drive with my dealers car...I SURE DID...and it SUCKED BIG TIME, not acceptable for BMW and its heritage...PERIOD!
So you mean you felt comfortable, after a 5 minute test.. at night...in the rain..knowing that that was not an even remotely good position of knowledge to speak from.... to make the following post?

Quote:
B.M.W.=Bavarian Magic Workers

I have been harsh & cynical and mostly negative about the upcoming F30.
I am an enthusiast, I LOVE BMWs ( as well as Porsche)...and I love NA engines...GOOD ones
...and BMW has had some doozies, like my beloved N52 & S65.
And no one has to twist my arm...to get me to admit when I was WRONG.
Actually, in this case, happy to 'fess up that I was.

Been on a sort of holiday tour since Christmas. As some as you may know, some select companies get examples of pre-release cars.
I got to experience the F30 328i "sport" & 335i M-Sport.
AMAZING!!!
2 Freak'n amazing drives!
You would NEVER know that 328i had a 4 banger...the N20 pulls like mad, and the car handles like none in recent years, perfect balance, almost "M" like? Like the M division flew over and sprinkled it's magic tuner pixie dust on the other lesser cars...boosting their self esteem, lol?

The F30 cures the ho-hum nature of the E9x 328i, the only E9x I never was impressed with.
The F30 335i must be secretly underrated...feels more feral, kinda like the outgoing 335is.
A BEAST, that is for a regular non M car.

Styling wise, looks much, MUCH better in the flesh...er, "metal", that is.
STILL HATE that fugly hood-line, they could have done so much better with that as the other German builders have!
Except for that, looks sharp, a lot of "light catching" design subtitles that must be seen up close.
Still prefer the old hydraulic steering...maybe in time they can mimic it? I hope so.
Not bad, though, just not as magical, feel wise.
M-Sport is killer outside, not so much inside, like the "Sport-line" and kinda Mazda like with goofy color trim and plain black interiors with aluminum trim, done by so many cheap brands. Wish you could mix some of the interior colors & "trims", from the "Luxury & Modern Line" with the M-Sport exterior? I wish
Thinking now, about one for the wife?

I still love the M3 and the E9x still RULES
If you offered me a F30 328i AND a F30 335i for the E9x M3...I would choose the M3 every time
If they DO NOt do something "special" to the F8x next M3 design wise, like they did with the E9x HOOD (power dome & vents) side gills and wider body, not to mention the killer rear of the M3 with quad tips...I wil be pissed, it was the E9x M3 HOOD that told you right off this was no ordinary 3 series.

But those who cannot afford the next M3(or current for that matter)...will be happier than ever with the gap slightly closed handling wise, that is, betwen the 3 series and the M3, until , that is, the NEXt M3 arrives, which may surprise us all

My fears assuaged, for now
Now your test is much better? Comon, you're an over-reactor extraordinaire. If you can make the above comments from a test you knew was flawed, how can we believe you'll have integrity to the truth in any other posts you make?

Last edited by 7or8; 02-22-2012 at 08:20 PM.
Old 02-22-2012, 08:35 PM
Squeal like a BMW

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi A4
Winning!!
Old 02-22-2012, 10:49 PM

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7or8 View Post
So you mean you felt comfortable, after a 5 minute test.. at night...in the rain..knowing that that was not an even remotely good position of knowledge to speak from.... to make the following post?

Now your test is much better? Comon, you're an over-reactor extraordinaire. If you can make the above comments from a test you knew was flawed, how can we believe you'll have integrity to the truth in any other posts you make?
I really don't give a rat's a$$ what you or anyone else believes...at the time I was impressed and thrilled to get an early preview of the cars...I am a fan of BMW and maybe I did over react...I want to always like a new bimmer...but they have made that increasingly more difficult...the F30 SUCKS compared to Bimmers past...period.
Old 02-23-2012, 06:26 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 X5 4.8i
Quote:

Let me get this straight. You have him on your ignore list but create a worthless post taking potshots at him? If you're going to do this at least be man enough to give him a chance to respond by removing him from your ignore list.

Last edited by sunny5280; 02-23-2012 at 06:29 AM.
Old 02-23-2012, 06:27 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 X5 4.8i
Quote:

Best feature ever!
And despite his being on your ignore list you continue to respond to him...at least twice.