Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)

E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)
E85 Z4 Roadster, E86 Z4 Coupe, E85 Z4 M Roadster, and E86 Z4 M Coupe talk with our BMW gurus here.

Old 01-15-2010, 04:31 AM

Mein Auto: Z4
04 BMW Z4 Conv Top Does NOT Move, Motor is Running?

I have a 2004 Z4 with convertible top. And after several month without using the top, one day I suddenly found my top can NOT move up and down now. Every step before the top starting to move looks right to me. The windows moves down and the clip will release. And then the motor start to running all the way but the top just don't move. I can move the top manually which means it is not been stucked. So could you guys with experience tell me what's the possible reason for that? Obviously I think the motor is not dead since it is running. So how about the hydraulic fluid is gone? Or something else. Thanks a lot.

Richard
Advertisement
Old 01-15-2010, 05:59 AM
Oldman M Coupe

Mein Auto: 2000 M Coupe
Open trunk and on the left side is a red pull lever, make sure it is pushed in to the left.
Old 01-16-2010, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldman M Coupe View Post
Open trunk and on the left side is a red pull lever, make sure it is pushed in to the left.
Is there any diagram you could show me how to do it? I guess I pulled the emergency open out but I don't know how to put it back or what does it suppose look like?

Thanks a lot.
Old 01-22-2010, 10:05 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2003 BMW Z4 3.0i
It's VERY EASY. Pop the trunk and put your hand inside the trunk and as far and to the left as it will go. Your hand just might brush against a visible red loop that should not be an open circle facing you. Put the wire connected to the red circle back inside of the plastic protecting it and rotate the red circle to where you can not see it as an open circle. All done! And now....test that Convertible Top again. If the motor strains and there is still no movement, your Convertible Top Hydraulic Unit/Electric Motor has probably failed. If so, you might be a lucky guy to be a member of this forum. If you are halfway handy with tools you can replace the Hydraulic Unit yourself. ShipKiller has posted an AMAZING D.I.Y thread on replacing this part, and also one to clean out the drain holes that may have caused this problem in the first place. You are also in luck because my Cowl Lock failed and I thought it was the Hydraulic Unit(I HAD MUCH STRANGER SYMPTOMS. Yours sound textbook for the Motor failing). I replaced my Hydraulic Unit according to ShipKiller's guide and found out that my Hydraulic Unit was not the problem. I do not have $500 to have my electrical problem diagnosed and repaired so I just use the top manually. With all that being said, if you Motor got corroded by water, you need a new one...and probably the casing that goes around it. http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...fg=10....These two parts are #1 and #8 in the diagram. If you are interested, You can buy both parts from me for $350 with free shipping. I got the Hydraulic Unit brand new from the BMW N.A. 3 months ago and will ship it to you in the box I received it. As for the Sound Insulator that might have tons of nasty mold in it, that is an original part and has never had water exposure.

If you could, test it out and then go into a little more detail about your symptoms just for clarity....such as, does a yellow light appear when you press the convertible top button? The red solid LED comes on and the top just doesn't move but motor whines? or red LED flashes?
Old 01-22-2010, 10:08 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2003 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardeagle View Post
? Obviously I think the motor is not dead since it is running. So how about the hydraulic fluid is gone? Or something else. Thanks a lot.

Richard
In regards to this, According to documentation in T.I.S, The Hydraulic Unit is a sealed unit and should never leak hydraulic fluid. You can most likely rule that out. If the motor is dead, it will still whine. It just won't have enough strength to actually lift the top.
Old 09-03-2011, 06:48 AM
Rus -

Mein Auto: Z4, Tacoma, Pitts, Mooney
Took off my top (thnx Shopkiller) and noticed oil residue in the well on both sides of the car where the top hinges. There was a little corrosion on the pump, but not alot. The resevoir was empty. I added hydraulic oil and plugged 12 volts to the motor and it pumped the resevoir dry. I added more oil and pumped it dry again but it also started to mover the mechanism. Repeated the process and filled the resevoir up after about 4 times, and the actuator will now move full range of motion.

I rolled the softtop over - so now it was upside down and a substantial amount of hydraulic oil ran out of the actuator mechanism that is coupled to the hydraulic drives.

They may be a sealed system, but if you have a leak - well it is not sealed.

Looking for a solution = can I replace seals in the hydraulic drives?
Old 09-06-2011, 02:18 PM

[QUOTE=If you could, test it out and then go into a little more detail about your symptoms just for clarity....such as, does a yellow light appear when you press the convertible top button? The red solid LED comes on and the top just doesn't move but motor whines? or red LED flashes?[/QUOTE]

what you mean by the yellow light ? where it should appear ? ... and with regards to RED led what does solid and flashing means in terms of diagnoses ?

Thanks
Old 09-07-2011, 01:04 PM

since i am having the same symptoms, so i went to the back trunk of the car pull off the clothes from the back and check the motor oil level and found it 1/4 empty.

waiting for the dealer to have the oil in sotck to try adding more oil and see wheather it will work or not before i go ahead and take off the soft top for leak diagnose.
Old 09-08-2011, 02:43 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 Z4 3.0
I went through this last year with my 2003. One day it worked, next day nothing. $1500 later the dealer had it fixed - for 1 week. Then nothing once again. Took it back- a solonoid switch was the the culprit this time- but no charge for that. It has worked this year flawlessly with many cycles of the top up and down. Just part of the joy of owning an automatic soft top 8 years old. Can't imagine what it costs to fix one of the new convertable hard tops.
Old 02-23-2012, 08:48 AM

Mein Auto: 1995 318i
I had the exact symptoms in my 05 Z4. I followed what is described in this thread with respect to the little red ring in the trunk. Had to fiddle with the ring a little. But it did the trick
Old 02-23-2012, 09:26 AM
Underway on Nuclear Power

Mein Auto: Me
Furthermore, does legality establish morality?
Slavery was legal; apartheid was legal; Stalinist, Nazi, and Maoist purges were legal. Clearly, the fact of legality does not justify these crimes. Legality, alone, cannot be the talisman of morel people. - Walter E. Williams