Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36 /7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36 /7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 roadster and coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 06-29-2010, 01:51 AM

Mein Auto: BMW Z3
Front drivers wheel squeeking

Hello

I am really hoping someone can shed a bit of light on this for me.

I have a BMW Z3 1999 and the past 2 weeks I have noticed a , at first, quiet squeeking noise coming from the front drivers side.

I took it into a garage, two infact, and one told me my disc brake was slightly bent, so they unbent it......????

Then the second garage said there was nothing wrong physically with the car just sounded like the joints etc needed lubing.

Now over the past week this noise has got 10 times worse. Before it was only when i turned the steering wheel to the right but if I pulled slightly to the left or kept the wheel as central as possible the sound wouldnt occur.

But this week its constant and its louder. Its embarrasing and Im a bit worried now.

The noise is a high pitched squeeking, similar to the sound when you press your brakes down, but the difference is the sound stops when I brake, and only really happens after about 25-30mph. The sound speeds up as I get faster, it sounds as though something is grinding / scraping against the wheel, as before the squeek starts when I am in a lower speed, I can hear a faint soft rubbing sound.

IF I wet the wheel with water, i noticed this after washing it, the sound stops, its only when the car is dry that the squeeking happens.

I am looking to take it to a garage this weekend but would love you take some possible causes along with me so I can get the mechanic to check them all out as the 2 I've seen so far have been useless and I dont want to get charged for things being checked that might not even be related.

many thanks in advance

Mel
Ads by Google
Old 06-29-2010, 02:46 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 98 Z3 // 06 X5
Without hearing it in person...... sounds like you have a warped rotor, easy fix ...... suggest you replace it along with a new set of brake pads on both sides up front. BTW Advanced Auto sells BMW rotors
Old 06-29-2010, 02:57 AM

Well my brake discs are fine, I had them showed to me and they dont need replacing.

Where abouts is the warped rotor?
Old 06-29-2010, 02:39 PM

Your brake disc are called rotors, you can not tell from looking with the eye if your rotors are warped....... unless they are warped pretty bad. bottom line the only way to tell with out a dial indicator, is to remove them and mount them on a brake lathe and see if they are warped. oops didn't see where you were from..... guess they don't have Advanced Auto over the pond.
Old 06-29-2010, 07:51 PM

Send a message via MSN to RufusKing
Mein Auto: Z4 3.0i Roadster
Quote:
Originally Posted by EOD Guy View Post
Your brake disc are called rotors, you can not tell from looking with the eye if your rotors are warped....... unless they are warped pretty bad. bottom line the only way to tell with out a dial indicator, is to remove them and mount them on a brake lathe and see if they are warped. oops didn't see where you were from..... guess they don't have Advanced Auto over the pond.
If the rotor was warped to a point that it wopuld make noise i would expect it to pulsate upon braking. I have a tendency to think it is suspension related. Of course this would depend on if the noise is constant or only when turning or running over uneven pavement. post back with driving conditions for further analysis.

2009 BMW Z4 sDrive 3.0i

I call her weezey

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i Roadster - Sold and I miss her.
Old 06-29-2010, 08:01 PM

Send a message via AIM to dwm Send a message via Yahoo to dwm
Mein Auto: 2002 M roadster
I would have someone check the wheel bearing. Brake noises don't usually get "10 times worse" in a matter of a week, but wheel bearings can get worse in a hurry.
Old 06-30-2010, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwm View Post
I would have someone check the wheel bearing. Brake noises don't usually get "10 times worse" in a matter of a week, but wheel bearings can get worse in a hurry.
its not the brakes. The noise stops when I apply the brakes.

The noise tends to start about 10 minutes into my morning journey to work. It is only when I turn to the right, car moves to the right, as when i pull on the steering wheel to the left or central the noise stops.

The first garage I took it too, said one of my brake dicsc was bent, so they un bent it but that didnt solve the problem and I didnt want to take it back there. Then a family friend who is am echanic had a look at it but only jacked it up, said my discs were fine and the bearings were ok.

I;ve managed to call in a favour at my mates work place, Mercedez and the techs are going to take a look at it, but just wanted a few "suspect" areas / problems to tell them to take a look at, if it was a problem other BMW owners had had with their cars.
Old 06-30-2010, 02:45 AM

Brake rotors often are slightly warped and will make the squealing sound when the wraped portion or edge comes in contact with the brake pad, wear indicator etc.... and the pulsing while applying the brake may be slight or even un-noticable.... . If the pads are not releasing fully because the retaining pins are dirty or gunked up, a slightly warped rotor will squeal without pulsation in the pedal and if it is only happening in one direction I think it's rotor/ retaining (guide pin) related. without hearing it in person it'd be hard to tell.

Last edited by EOD Guy; 06-30-2010 at 02:50 AM.
Old 02-23-2012, 07:18 AM

Mein Auto: Z3
Hello Melmel,
Just wondering if you ever got to the solution on this one. I have what seems like the same thing going on on my 2000 Z3, and already went thru the cost of need brakes up front both sides, but it didn't help the noise. My problem is a little different in that I notice the noise most when moving slow into a parking spot, turning right with the brakes applied. I'm thinking something to do with the power steering, but it doesn't happen unless I brake while turning. Definitely not a brake noise sound and I can still hear it sometimes after I have stopped with the engine running.

Hope to hear from you, Bob
Old 02-23-2012, 09:17 AM

Mein Auto: z3 '97 atlanta blue 2.8
some brands of brake pads squeak on some cars. try changing brands. easy diy.
Old 02-23-2012, 03:15 PM

Mein Auto: z3 '97 atlanta blue 2.8
easier diy if it works. i haven't tried it but scroll down. sprays on back of pads.

http://mz3.net/category/care-maintenance/maintenance