Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E89 Z4 (2009 - current)

E89 Z4 (2009 - current)

Old 02-11-2012, 05:48 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW Z-4 35 i
2009 Battery -

My Z-4 is a 2009 delivered in July 2009, The battery will not take a full charge. Over night charging at 10 amps still will not bring the battery to a full charge - When not running the engine, a warning message appears telling me low battery ! Car has 21,000 miles - is this a item that is covered under the Maintenance or what ? Still another year and 5 months to go before the Maintenance contract runs out !

Any Suggestions ?

Phil
Old 02-11-2012, 06:11 AM
resU deretsigeR

Mein Auto: Leaf Tekna
The battery is covered. They won't always replace for free if you haven't kept the battery charged. It is worth asking.

Dealer didn't want to replace the battery under warranty on our X3. It was completely dead at lease return. We had put the car in storage while waiting out the lease. We pushed back and weren't charged.
The models and equipment (standard and optional) illustrated in this post reflect my misunderstanding of vehicles supplied by BMW AG to the German market. In other EU member states, the truthyness of my posts may vary. Please ignore this post. Subject to change.

Last edited by Andrew*Debbie; 02-11-2012 at 06:14 AM.
Old 02-15-2012, 02:59 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW Z-4 35 i
My Dealer had my car over night - trying to Charge the battery - it would not take a Charge - They installed a new battery - however told me it was done as a Loyalty move - ! In any case the car cranks fast now - and all is well - My thoughts were - if the car is covered bumper to bumper for 4 years - and the battery is in the trunk - it wont run with out the battery - Dealer thought I had left a light on - etc. - but I told them - that still would not stop the battery from taking a Full Charge - As usual a dealer will try to find an out - however this time they did the right thing and replaced the battery at no charge !

Phil
Old 02-15-2012, 09:41 AM
resU deretsigeR

Mein Auto: Leaf Tekna
They do have an out if you've done something that has damaged the battery. If the battery or the car is faulty, they are supposed to replace it.

If you don't drive the car that much, you may need to invest in a trickle charger.
The models and equipment (standard and optional) illustrated in this post reflect my misunderstanding of vehicles supplied by BMW AG to the German market. In other EU member states, the truthyness of my posts may vary. Please ignore this post. Subject to change.

Last edited by Andrew*Debbie; 02-15-2012 at 09:42 AM.
Old 02-15-2012, 06:59 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335d
I am a firm believer in Battery Tender. If I know I am not going to drive my car for more than 2 weeks I put it on the Battery Tender. Keeping the battery at full charge definitely lengthens its life. Allowing a battery to discharge is not good. Modern BMWs as well as most other cars draw enough power that they will drain a battery if the car is not driven on a regular basis. I don't know how long it would take and don't plan to find out as I understand a full discharged battery may mean a trip to the dealer.

Colonel (Ret) US Army / Hagerstown, MD
1985 M635 Euro Alpine White/Pacific Blue (Fun Car)
2010 Z4 s30i Alpine White/Beige
2013 Audi A6 Ibis White/Nougat (Daily Driver)
2013 Audi A4(Ret)
2011 335d (Ret)
2009 335i vert (Ret)
2007 335i vert (Ret) ED 04-13-10
2000 740iL (Ret)
1998 328iC (Ret)
1990 535i (Ret)
1988 635CSi (Ret)

https://plus.google.com/photos/10999...COHGu-rlyIrrLg
Old 02-21-2012, 06:39 PM

Mein Auto: chev
My battier went dead because of the trunk. They had my car 4 days. The part came from germany. They had to replace something in the trunk that was discharging my battier. Ever thing works fine now. They also reset the computer.
Old 02-23-2012, 04:01 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 Z4 35i
I have a 2010 and I was also geting the battery discharge while stopped message. I took it to the dealer and they charged the battery and tested the battery. They said the battery passed with flying colors. I drove the car for a few days and it was fine. I then started getting the message on my idrive again stating battery discharge while stopped. The message would show up some days and I could go days and it would not.

I just brought it back in and they said all the fault codes pointed to the positive battery cable. They had it overnighted and said they are sure that was the problem and not the battery itself. I have only had it back a couple of days, but so far so good.

2006 Z4 30i - Monaco Blue, beige leather
2003 Z4 2.5- Sterling Gray, black leather
1998 Z3 2.8 - Bright Red, black leather