Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36 /7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36 /7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 roadster and coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 02-21-2012, 04:07 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 Z3 2.5i 5 speed
2002 Z3 remote keyless system

Hey there -
Just recently purchased a 2002 Z3 2.5i 5 speed, and I LOVE THIS CAR. one test drive was all it took for me to go home and get the checkbook. my only complaint with the car, is the keyless entry system. I have figured out by reading and doing a bit of research, that my car is NOT equipped with the factory security system, just the key with the 3 remote buttons built in. the BMW emblem button locks the doors, the "arrow" button unlocks, and the button with the picture of the car turns on the interior lights. My question is this - is there anyway to get some sort of a horn chirp, or parking light flash to go along with locking or unlocking the doors? A guy at the gas station the other day had the same car, that from what I could tell was the same model as mine, that flashed the parking lights on "unlock" and chirped the horn and flashed the lights when it locked. I'm kicking myself now for not asking him about it. I have had cars in the past that can switch this feature on and off by holding two buttons on the remote at the same time, or entering some sort of programming sequence with the ignition and door lock buttons. Is this something the BMW dealership can reprogram? or would I need to have the security sytem added to get this feature? any help would be greatly appreciated! The bottom line is, I don't care if the car can even be locked or not, it is so damn fun to drive regardless. Thanks in advance,

Jon C.

2002 BMW Z3 2.5i
Triple Black, 5 Speed
77000 miles

2004 Chevy Tahoe LT
Black/Grey, 4X4
86000 miles
Ads by Google
Old 02-21-2012, 06:20 PM

Mein Auto: 97 Z3 2.8
I know that on earlier models equipped with the key fob the directions were to, " press and hold button-1 and button-2 simultaneously for more than two seconds to switch back and forth between 'chirp' 'ON/OFF'." Hope this helps.
Old 02-22-2012, 02:29 PM

RE: Chirps

nope, no luck with that technique. The more I google this and research, I think it's tied into my car not having the factory security system.
thanks for the thought though!
Jon
Old 02-23-2012, 05:42 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1998 BMW Z3
It might just have the locking module only and nothing else.
My 98 Z3, 2.8L didn't come with the factory alarm, but is wired for it.
I have been looking at various factory / aftermarket solutions and some include an alarm and some don't. Best to look behind the glove box and see what you have to start with.
There are lots of post on this and other sites about the alarm and alarm components.
Old 02-23-2012, 01:27 PM

RE: Aftermarket

Thats awesome - Thank you. So if my car had an alarm system, it would be behind the glovebox? There is something in the trunk that says "pre-wired for BMW security" but, I havne't looked any further into that. Thanks for the advice!
Jon
Old 02-23-2012, 02:10 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1998 BMW Z3
As I understand it, that's exactly what that means.
I have also heard of cars that perhaps have some items installed and need to be activated, but I don't know much about that.
Try this link, I learned a lot here too:
http://www.waycoolinc.com/z3/essentials/fixit/
http://mz3.net/
Both of those are great as well as the various BMW forums Bimmerfest and Bimmerforums. This is a great group of gentlemen and ladies!
Rudy
Old 02-23-2012, 09:09 PM

hey Rudy -
Thanks for the tips, and the great links - both are AWESOME pages! will keep you posted on my findings and progress!!

-Jon