Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)

E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)
E85 Z4 convertible and E86 Z4 coupe talk with our BMW gurus here.

Old 01-02-2012, 12:58 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 z4 3.0
Z4 Does this make sense?

Hello, I just picked up a 2005 bmw z4 just in time to store it for the New York winter, bought a car cover ,I don't have a battery tender but i do have a battery charger. Question is can i have the charger hooked up to the battery in the trunk and run the extention cord in the basement and once a month plug it in and just charge it for about 8 hrs or so? stupid or not! Thanks for any comments good or bad, and Happy New Year
Ads by Google
Old 01-02-2012, 01:39 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2003 Z4 2.5
You're much better off spending $20-$25 and get yourself a Tender or any other brand that floats the charge. Just plug it in and forget about it.
Old 01-02-2012, 06:49 PM

Mein Auto: 08 Z4 3.0si,11 128Msport
Absolutely above...get the tender. It will be a bit more than 25$ tho I suspect...but worth every penny. IF you use a charger, you then have to "tend" it...cannot leave it on too long, might forget it, and have more risk of over charging. I store all winter, hook up the tender, and it just keeps it right level. Don't even question it further--tender is ONLY way to relax and have the peace of mind.
Old 01-03-2012, 07:58 AM

Mein Auto: '04, Z4
This is my first winter with my Z4 in Ontario. I asked around and decided to just start it up every 1-2 weeks and let it run for 1/2 hour. I think it's good to also get the engine and transmission moving a little.
Old 01-03-2012, 11:23 AM

Mein Auto: 00 z3 m coupe
Get on the forums...bad idea to keep starting it up. Changemthe oil, put on a battery tender or similar and leave it alone.
Old 01-03-2012, 12:34 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 Z4 si
I agree with awdonald.
Short starts will just fill your oil with sludge.
Sludge is oil mixed with condensed water.
Not a good thing.
Old 01-04-2012, 04:11 AM

Mein Auto: BMW Z4 3.0
I do not see any harm in that.
Old 01-04-2012, 04:24 AM
Registered Abuser

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW X5
11 years in ND, stored boats, cars, etc. Disconnect the battery and wait till spring. Charge battery, start and drive. Main concern in your situation would be to condition the fuel. Sounds like your only storing few months. My vette used to sit 4-5 months. If you want to have fun, go to boat dealer and get "fogging oil" and with car running, spray mist into air intake (pull filter first) and let car almost stall or try to get it to stall. That will coat the guts of the engine with oil. I would never start an engine (as tempting as it was with my Harley) and let it run without driving it, more damage then good. IMHO of course.
Old 01-10-2012, 05:13 PM

Mein Auto: '04, Z4
I think its best to circulate the oil etc every couple of weeks. (I put fuel conditioner in.) I let it run for about half an hour to charge the battery. I don't like the idea of leaving it for 3 months without starting. Also have room in garage to roll it to a different spot on the tires. How can this be bad for it....it's very similar to how many people use a car like this all year round.
Old 01-10-2012, 06:38 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 Z3 Coupe and 2003 Z4
I live in Ohio and have many older MGs and my Z4 roadster/Z3 Coupe. A lot of people here "put there cars up" for the winter. I never have. Even in December, January and February in Ohio there are many days when there is sunshine and no precipitation and salt on the roads. I take advantage of these conditions and drive the cars during these periods and then put them back in the garage. Besides, I can't possibly go more than 2/3 weeks without driving my sports cars :-) It helps get me out of the winter mental funk too!
Old 01-10-2012, 07:33 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 Z3
Best choice, Drive the Car once or twice a month.
Good Choice Fog the engine, condition the fuel, change the oil while hot, raise the car off the suspension. Remove the battery and place it on a good battery tender. (place battery on a Wood Block, not on concrete)
Poor choice is to run the engine and move the car about the garage.
BTW, I live in NorthWestern BC. Car has not been driven since late November. I did the "Good Choice"
Too much salt and gravel on the winter roads for my liking to drive it in the winter.
Old 02-24-2012, 05:44 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 Z4 3.0si Roadster
winter storage

Hi. I live in Buffalo New york, my cars and boat spend more time in storage than out I typically remove the batteries and store indoors, and add a little fuel stabilizer, I've never had a problem in the spring. I'm sure you'll be alright!