Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36 /7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36 /7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 roadster and coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 02-20-2012, 07:01 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 M Coupe
M Coupe introduction and water-pump issue

Hi everybody. My first post about my newly acquired 2000 m coupe. It has the 3.2 321 hp motor from the e36 BMW M3. This was the version we got in South Africa initially, followed later in 2001 with the E46 M3 engined coupe.

I have had the car since October 2011. I love it and feel like Batman and a badass rebel everytime i get into the car.

My question to you guys follows from this:

I had to park the car for 2 months while i was travelling. I started the car when i got home last week and drove it straight to an official BMW workshop. An inspection 2 service was done because the car has 58,000 miles on it. The service was completed at a cost of about 1000 dollars which i thought was crazy money but i swallowed it and took comfort in my baby being well cared for.

I drove out the workshop and 10 miles later while idling at a traffic light i hear a grinding nose. I head back to the workshop and it turns out that the water pump is worn.

Could they possibly have done something wrong in the service or is it just one of those things and secondly must the whole unit be replaced? How many hours labor and what do you guys pay for the full job in the U.S?

Is there any other preventative step i should take while the waterpump is being replaced like hoses, radiators etc?

Do the coupe owners here still service their cars at BMW agents or do you find independent BM specialsists better at caring for your cars (cost aside obviously) i find the bmw agents a bit incompetent and not really knowledgeable about these rare cars.

Really value your input and im very glad to have such a great community to help with maintaining my Batmobile. Will post pics as soon as she is out of hospital.

She is silver with plain black interior with no sunroof.
Ads by Google
Old 02-20-2012, 09:27 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 M-coupe
It is common, from what I have heard that the water pumps are not the best grade. As far as it being true i don't know. I have never had a problem with mine thank god and to be quite honest my coupe gets between 2,000-5,000 (max) miles a year so it it always on a battery charger. As for BMW and you using them?? It's a hit or miss some dealers are great others suck, most service techs don't stay it the same dealership for long, especially at large bmw dealers. So there service can go up and down, thats why I try to do most of my own work. I have my own private tech I use if it gets hairy. I find that BMW (under a e90) are fairly simple to work on especailly a m coupe.
Old 02-21-2012, 05:12 AM
M Mad

Mein Auto: M Roadster/M3
58,000 miles is about right for the water pump to fail. The radiator is usually good to about 100,000 miles.

You might want to replace the thermostat housing now. The hoses should be fine, but replace when you replace the radiator.

YOu seem to have gotten off lucky. Many people have the fan hit the fan shroud and destroy the fan and sometimes doing damage to other things as the bits fly about.

'95 Alpine M3 LTW
'00 Dakar M Roadster
'02 Topaz M3
Red/White SRF #4 (Chassis 561)
Old 02-21-2012, 05:23 AM

Mein Auto: 2000 M Coupe
Thanks for the prompt replies Rare M and Pinecone.

The BMW dealership has quoted me 12,000 Rand which is $ 1,600 to replace the water pump and the pulley. Does this sound sane to you guys?

I think its crazy money but perhaps i must just get used to the repairs for the M to be on this level....

i will replace the thermostat while the pump is out, nice idea but must the pulley really be replaced with the pump?

Another thing, before the car was serviced last week friday the airbag light wasnt on, i get the car back from BMW with the airbag light on. I naturally told them about it expecting it to be as simple as clearing the fault code on the ECU, but they're telling me its the seatbelt pretensioner and it has to be replaced. (at my expense)

Does this sound right? surely the ECU would have thrown a fault code out before the service was done if there was truly something wrong with the pretensioner or its sensor.

You know that nightmare stage when you acquire a new used car and the repair bills keep on flying at you, IM IN IT!!!!
Old 02-21-2012, 08:11 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: z3 '97 atlanta blue 2.8
waaaay too expensive for here in the states.
Old 02-21-2012, 07:31 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 Z3
It's a 2 hour shade tree job.
the only additional tool that you would need is the Fan removal tool.
Also buy the Stewart Pump, not the OEM plastic impeller pump, which you will probably get at your stealership.
While you're in there, change the thermostat, and the 2 serpentine belts.
I changed out my plastic fan and power steering pump pulleys to aluminum ones.
I also replaced the Power Steering resevoir and did a power steering fluid flush.
It was so much easier working in the front with all the extra pieces out of the way.
My job took me 3 hours with the additional work.
These cars are so easy to work on. Lots of info and instructions available here in the forums.
Old 02-23-2012, 03:26 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 Z3M Coupe
As noted by others, $1600 is way too much for a waterpump replacement. Get the Stewart WP, replace the thermostat, housing, belt, radiator hoses, any anything else that appears worn. Find a good local independent shop! Maybe check with your local BMWCCA if there is a local chapter.
Old 02-23-2012, 04:06 PM

Mein Auto: 1997 Z3 2.8, 2002 M Coupe
Does the Stewart fit the S50? On RealOEM, the water pump for the Euro S50 has a different part number that has no applications in US spec cars.
Old 02-23-2012, 08:28 PM

good time to do the fan delete.
Old 02-24-2012, 11:17 AM

Mein Auto: 99 Z3 Coupe + Beemers
Quote:
Originally Posted by tohbi View Post
good time to do the fan delete.
'Zactly what I'm doing with my new-to-me 2.8 Coupe. Was running cool, so the thermostat for sure needed R/R. All cooling parts looked fine as they came off, but I have a Stewart pump, new stat/housing and fan switch on order. Going to stick with the OEM radiator for a while.

I figure with the clutch fan outta there, what's the worst that can happen?
Old 02-24-2012, 05:53 PM

wondering if the stock electric fan is powerful enough by itself, without the mechanical fan? here in the flaming desert, it's an important consideration
Old 02-25-2012, 04:23 AM
M Mad

Mein Auto: M Roadster/M3
I have had the fan delete setup on our M Roadster for many years. And while not desert, it has been run hard in the summer heat of Georgia and SC.

'95 Alpine M3 LTW
'00 Dakar M Roadster
'02 Topaz M3
Red/White SRF #4 (Chassis 561)