Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E46 M3 (2001-2006)

E46 M3 (2001-2006)

Old 02-22-2012, 07:23 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 M-coupe
Water Pump and Valve Tune Quesiton!!!!

Ok well i have a 2001 MZ3 with a S54 and I have heard some horror stories about BMW water pumps in the earlier models. I am the second owner and have had the car since 2004 with 28,000 miles and have never changed it before. My question is that my car is coming up on 56,000 mile and I'm questioning whether I should replace mine with a new one before I become one of those horror sorries, plus I plan on driving from MA to MD in August (to the Bimmerfest East) and the last thing I want is something to happen then (knowing my luck)!!!!

Please let me know what you think as well as if you know of any DIY links. Also if you have any other suggestions on preventive additions at that time. If I do it I plan on putting some Rogue Engineering Pulley kit.

My second question is on the Valve Tuning on the 2001 S54, is it worth the money??? I had BMW do mine while I still had my warranty and made them write it in the Bill of Sale when I bought it. Now that I have to pay for it myself, I'm kinda questioning having it done?? I know it should be done every 30,000 miles I'm on the verge and I want to be PROACTIVE instead of REACTIVE. I had a friend of mine pay the money but he said he noticed NO difference...

Any suggestions about the Valve tune????
Advertisement
Old 02-23-2012, 06:16 AM
M Mad

Mein Auto: M Roadster/M3
YOu will not notice any difference.

Until you don't do it and burn some valves and have a VERY expensive head removal and valve and valve seat replacement.

Of you break one of the sodium filled exhaust valves and have to replace the engine.

'95 Alpine M3 LTW
'00 Dakar M Roadster
'02 Topaz M3
Red/White SRF #4 (Chassis 561)
Old 02-25-2012, 06:35 AM

Mein Auto: e46 / e53
My water pump went out at 82k miles. I think it's a little early to replace your pump unless it's making noise. As for the valve adjustment, I'd recommend doing it. It's DIY'able. My car had one done at 60k miles by the previous owner, and I had 9 valves that were out of spec at 90k miles. I bought the shim kit for $400 (i still have it if you want to rent) and was able to do it in one afternoon. Replace the gaskets and seals while your in there. There are many DIY instructions and videos on YouTube. Just be careful and don't drop the shims. It's good preventive maintenance and will keep your engine running strong