Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36 /7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36 /7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 roadster and coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 02-23-2012, 06:19 PM

Mein Auto: Z3
Just Bought a 97 Z3

I just picked up a 97 Z3 1.9l 5M, with 128k Miles on it for 3,500 bucks. The only problem being is it needs some interior work. I was wondering if anyone knows whats the best thing to fix riped leather seats and restore them. Is the storage lid really 149$ LOL its a 3 foot peice of plastic for gods sake. Also the radio is locked anyone know a quick way to fix it. I looked in the owners manual no code . My closest BMW dealer is 65+ miles away I really don't want to have to drive there if I can help it. Thanks Im stoked I got this car it looks like its going to be fun! Ill post pictures as soon as I get a chance!

Last edited by EncDiver; 02-23-2012 at 06:48 PM. Reason: Added Pics!
Ads by Google
Old 02-23-2012, 10:39 PM
BE IRIE

Mein Auto: 1996 Z3 1.9L M44
Nice find and price.

I'd lose the chrome side gills.

Check out Z3 Bimmerforums classified for misc parts. More active site I believe than here.

Inquire about the code on Z3 forum there also. But useful to use search function prior to posting.

Enjoy the ride.

1996 Z3 (M44)
Old 02-26-2012, 04:07 AM

Mein Auto: Z3
New Z3

Nice looking for it's age. I have an aftermarket Stereo in my 2001. There seems to be so many complaints about the original stereo's that you may want to just junk it and go aftermarket.

In regards to the seats, you'll need to decide if you want slip over covers or actually replace the original seat covers.

I think you'll find that you can put a lot of money into it very easily...especially relative to how little you paid.

What do you mean by the interior cover...3 foot piece of plastic? Is this the console?
Old 02-26-2012, 08:27 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1998 Z3 Roadster
Don't assume that you just need a little interior work. Search through this forum to find the usual maintenance issues for your car. You will likely need a glove box fix, seat bushings, numerous water leak fixes, and an entire cooling system replacement including water pump, radiator, thermostat housing, plus all other plastic parts and hoses in the cooling system. The plastic cooling system components can fail without warning and ruin your engine in the process. On the other hand, you got a great deal, so you can afford some maintenance.

If your stereo system has not been completely replaced, you will probably want to do that as well. The only thing worth keeping in the sound system is the wiring.

For the seats, I have a pair of black leather seat covers from LeatherSeats.com (with optional perforated leather inserts) that I bought for $600 before realizing that I had Sport seats, so I can't use them. I'll sell them for $500, if you're interested. You will have to remove your leather and install this leather, not a small job. They are generally considered to be superior quality to the original leather, but they won't match your current seat color. Of course, you can also just buy the color you want from LeatherSeats.com