Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts

BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts
Do you own a diesel powered BMW? Maybe a 335d or a BMW x35d? Come and talk about what makes your car great!

Old 02-21-2012, 07:50 PM
Pedant and Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: 335d, 328d, Toyota T100
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnaer View Post
I thought people from the Pacific NW eat granola, drive Subaru's and only wear Patagonia/NorthFace. You must not be a local
I have a Patagonia fleece coat, 3 pairs of NorthFace Hyvent ski/sb pants. I hate Subies for some reason, and don't eat granola. I *do* wear REI long johns/base wear items, have a 6-digit REI membership number (my wife's # is lower). I have two chain saws and a log splitter.

I was born and raised in WA state - never lived anywhere else!
Old 02-24-2012, 02:15 PM
Driving on instruments

Mein Auto: 2015 M3
I've got almost 7K on my 'd and I topped up the DEF this evening. I removed the lower cap on the tank (the one marked with the green label that said "DEF Fill" or something) and, using a funnel, I poured my DEF in very slowly from a 2-gallon jug. After less than 1 gallon, it started spewing fluid. Should I not try to fill the other tank? Am I only adding to the active tank? Seems to me it should have taken a lot more.
Old 02-24-2012, 02:30 PM
Oil Burners Rule!

Mein Auto: 2014 328d
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingLow78 View Post
I've got almost 7K on my 'd and I topped up the DEF this evening. I removed the lower cap on the tank (the one marked with the green label that said "DEF Fill" or something) and, using a funnel, I poured my DEF in very slowly from a 2-gallon jug. After less than 1 gallon, it started spewing fluid. Should I not try to fill the other tank? Am I only adding to the active tank? Seems to me it should have taken a lot more.
My attitude is to wait for the warning light.That's what I'm doing with my Bluetec...almost 12K miles and no warning yet.I assume that's because 90% of my miles are driven at a steady 70mph.

Do you folks in Blightey have the "free" maintenence like we do here? If you do it seems that waiting for the light or for a routine maintence visit would be the most logical choice.

Fuelly
Old 02-24-2012, 03:49 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X5 35D
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffj View Post
I topped off the active tank, and put the remainder of the 2.5 gal in the passive tank. .
Interested in how you filled the passive tank.... was it through the upper port?
VW Touareg V10 TDI
Hummer H3
Audi S4
Audi A8
Toyota 4 Runner
Nissan 300ZX Turbo
Mercedes 300E
GMC Jimmy
Triumph TR6
Old 02-24-2012, 05:47 PM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Mein Auto: '13 X5M, 650xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnaer View Post
Interested in how you filled the passive tank.... was it through the upper port?
Yup

2013 X5M ........ 2013 650xi ...... 2011 550xi (ret) 2011 335d (ret)
Old 02-25-2012, 12:43 PM

Mein Auto: '10 E90 335d
Will this work?

Buy 1 BMW bottle. Empty into car.

Cut hole in bottom of bottle when empty and fill with cheaper DEF from another source using funnel.
Cover hole with duct tape and empty into car. Repeat as needed.

Platinbronze | Oyster/Black | Sport | Premium | iDrive | Logic7 | iPod | Comfort Access | Shades | Folding Seats

Last edited by stan01; 02-25-2012 at 12:44 PM.
Old 02-25-2012, 04:33 PM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Mein Auto: '13 X5M, 650xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan01 View Post
Will this work?

Cut hole in bottom of bottle when empty and fill with cheaper DEF from another source using funnel.
Or you can just use the funnel to pour into the car.

2013 X5M ........ 2013 650xi ...... 2011 550xi (ret) 2011 335d (ret)
Old 02-25-2012, 08:01 PM
Oil Burners Rule!

Mein Auto: 2014 328d
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan01 View Post
Will this work?

It might work,I've never tried it but some have done so.What I *know* will work is: get a 1/2 gallon bottle (with the special filler) at a VW dealer

Empty it into the DEF tank

Then cut near the crimp area of the blue part of the bottle (the crimp is all that keeps the blue adapter from being removed),the blue part will then easily screw on and off.

Repeatedly refill that bottle from a 2.5 or 5 gallon jug without special adapter (quite cheap).

Success

Fuelly

Last edited by listerone; 02-25-2012 at 08:04 PM.
Old 02-26-2012, 06:36 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 335d
dnaer - like dunderhi stated "yup". Active tank on the bottom and passive on the top. My understanding is that the active tank is approx. 1.5gal, and Passive approx. 4.5 gal. In BMW's documentation, it states that the active tank will transfer from the passive when approx. 3 liters are used from the active. I had a total of 3 gallons of DEF. 1/2 gal BMW bottle, and 2.5 gal jug from Autozone. The active tank took a little over 1/2 gallon, and I just put the rest in the passive tank. I probably didn't' completely fill both tanks with only 3 gallons. I had about 900 miles remaining on the low DEF warning indicator. I suspect it will take 4-5 gallons to completely fill both at that point.

There are pro's and con's of using a funnel vs. re-using a modified BMW or VW bottle. I have only tried using the 1/2 gal BMW bottle by continually refilling and screwing onto the fill port of the car. The advantage of this method is that it is easy for one person to fill the tanks by supporting the weight of the bottle with your hands so it doesn't stress the connection point. Also, once the tank is full, the bottle will stop draining and you can simply unscrew the bottle adapter and remove without any spillage. The BMW bottle will close the fill port of the bottle when you unscrew it from the connection point. The disadvantage of this method is that it will probably take slightly longer to fill the tanks. Now that I have done it once, it should only take about 15mins to top both off. Not a big deal at all.
Old 02-27-2012, 07:44 AM

Mein Auto: X5 35D
Thanks Cliff.... very helpful. Was going to do it this weekend but went skiing instead; that was an easy decision to make. Bought two 2.5 gallon jugs and will give it a go this coming weekend.
VW Touareg V10 TDI
Hummer H3
Audi S4
Audi A8
Toyota 4 Runner
Nissan 300ZX Turbo
Mercedes 300E
GMC Jimmy
Triumph TR6
Old 07-16-2014, 07:06 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335d Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by DnA Diesel View Post
Sorry about the late reply, guys, but here are pics showing my quick mod to the BMW 1.89L / .5 gal bottle. The bottle is the same as VW, Audi and MB, since Kruse N.A. makes it for all German OEMs here in North America. The local VAG dealer was out of the $12 stuff, so my parents were kind enough to bring one of the $26 bottles from my out-of-town dealer when they came to visit. Thanks Mom & Dad!

Any way, the photos show the bottle, then some in-between pics where I used some diagonal cutters to snip a few 3/16" cuts in the lower lip of the cap, to get the cap off, then trimmed the cap lip to make it nice and neat when (if) I need to fill the car up next time.

The bottle:

Close up of label (note, there is no BMW p/n on the label):

Close up of the locking nibs on the inner lip of the cap: (sorry about the fuzzy pic...forgot to focus...

First few snips to few the cap from the locking lugs:

Cap off, ready to trim:

Cap fully trimmed:

Cap back on the bottle, ready to be filled for next time:

Overall, pretty easy to refill. I'll use the bottle as it, vice cutting it into a funnel, since I don't mind refilling it from a larger jug if needed, and it will probably be a bit neater than a funnel...not that it's difficult or anything.

Honestly, it's as easy if not easier than topping up the engine's oil.

Cheers
D.
This worked for me just now. No drilling holes, just unscrewing the part after undoing the crimps.

Thanks!

PL
Old 07-25-2014, 09:24 AM

Send a message via AIM to dakarm
Mein Auto: 00 M Coupe, 08 MCS JCW S1
I had to refill the def tank on my 335d recently. So after reading this thread I stopped by the VW dealer and bought the .5gal and 5gal for about $20bucks. I was able to fill the active tank with the .5g bottle but when I went to fill the passive it would fill at all. Probably a clogged vent hole . After some thinking I purchased this from amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The main advantage I see over a funnel is that I leave the 5gal jug on the ground. It took me about 5 or 6mins to fill the passive. I probably didn't fill it all the way but it was close enough (took about 3.5gal). The low DEF warning light wasn't on.

Now on my X5d, I'll use the .5gal refill method or maybe a ladder to raise the 5gal high enough so I don't have to hold it up.
'12 X5d
'12 MINI Countryman S

Last edited by dakarm; 07-25-2014 at 09:28 AM.