Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #26  
Old 02-28-2012, 07:37 AM
ffej's Avatar
ffej ffej is offline
Tightrope walking
Location: in 2-ton shoes
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 9,564
Mein Auto: Jackwagon!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLT View Post
What will you be driving while the drumwagon build is in process?
Still have the M3/4/5. Will sell that when the project is done. And given my looking in to what's involved, I suspect the 3-day weekend I'm giving to the motor/trans/ecu stuff will be more than enough. I plan on doing much of the suspension and interior stuff bit by bit.

You want to come watch? I can think of some girls that would love to see you, and the fetching Mrs BLT as well.
__________________


Building a ZHP wagon... click the pic!!!
-.-.-.--.-.-.-
Because BMW wouldn't do it for me
For Sale - HUGE part out of 2005 ZHP sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisL View Post
My input is that ffej knows what he's talking about .
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 02-28-2012, 07:38 AM
MMME30W's Avatar
MMME30W MMME30W is offline
Super Moderator
Location: On The Move
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 14,143
Mein Auto: 2009 W906
Thread stickied on account this is so cool.



Good luck!
__________________
“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by,and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.”

- J.C. Watts Jr.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 02-28-2012, 08:04 AM
SlimKlim's Avatar
SlimKlim SlimKlim is offline
King of Drone
Location: Fairfax, VA
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 9,239
Mein Auto: Bavarian Bombshell
OMG subscribed. I approve of this idea.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 02-28-2012, 09:12 AM
MalibuMafiaV's Avatar
MalibuMafiaV MalibuMafiaV is offline
L4P
Location: Malibu, CA
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 11,507
Send a message via AIM to MalibuMafiaV
Mein Auto: E60 M5 & Stage 3 Audi S4
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimKlim View Post
OMG subscribed. I approve of this idea.
Hey your still around.
__________________
http://www.luxury4play.com
BMW 2006 M5 - REALLY LOUD
Audi S4 2000 Stage 3 - Dat turbo spool
BMW 2000 3-series - Supercharged Because race car SOLD
Maserati 2004 M128 GT - HREs/tint/straight piped SOLD
BMW 2006 M3 - stock - SOLD
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 02-28-2012, 10:27 AM
smolck's Avatar
smolck smolck is offline
ROLL TIDE!
Location: Birmingham, AL
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 22,348
Mein Auto: 2004 ZHP Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalibuMafiaV View Post
Hey your still around.
No doubt, whats up Slim?!! Welcome back!
__________________

Check out my YouTube Channel for DIY's and other fun stuff HERE
Check out my BMWBLOG!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
now, go burn your Man Card, and buy yourself a Camry....
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 02-28-2012, 11:14 AM
ffej's Avatar
ffej ffej is offline
Tightrope walking
Location: in 2-ton shoes
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 9,564
Mein Auto: Jackwagon!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llando88 View Post
Thread stickied on account this is so cool.



Good luck!
Thanks!
__________________


Building a ZHP wagon... click the pic!!!
-.-.-.--.-.-.-
Because BMW wouldn't do it for me
For Sale - HUGE part out of 2005 ZHP sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisL View Post
My input is that ffej knows what he's talking about .
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 02-28-2012, 11:24 AM
jonathan2263's Avatar
jonathan2263 jonathan2263 is offline
Cogito Ergo Zoom
Location: Far Hills , NJ
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 3,497
Mein Auto: 325iT
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffej View Post
It's a possibility, but I kinda like the stealth idea...a LOT

+ a zillion!!! All the better for showing up on track days and crushing guys in M3's.
__________________


http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=...?id=1338939628
"I May Be Going To Hell In A Bucket But At Least I'm Enjoying The Ride"

Last edited by jonathan2263; 02-28-2012 at 11:25 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 02-28-2012, 12:57 PM
SlimKlim's Avatar
SlimKlim SlimKlim is offline
King of Drone
Location: Fairfax, VA
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 9,239
Mein Auto: Bavarian Bombshell
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalibuMafiaV View Post
Hey your still around.
Quote:
Originally Posted by smolck View Post
No doubt, whats up Slim?!! Welcome back!
Hey Fellas. I suppose it has been a while. I was off the board for a long time because school, my local car club, autocrossing, tracking, partying, girls, two motorcycles, graduating, getting a job and flipping a miata all got in the way. The M3 recently became an only child again and I've been catching up on her the past month or so, so I moved my project thread over from my local forum and have been trying to maintain it here.

Congrats on picking up the ZHP Smolck!! I'll always remember watching you work on that 323i as a major source of inspiration and motivation. Anyway, enough threadjacking, let's see some disassembled cars!
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 02-28-2012, 02:07 PM
MalibuMafiaV's Avatar
MalibuMafiaV MalibuMafiaV is offline
L4P
Location: Malibu, CA
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 11,507
Send a message via AIM to MalibuMafiaV
Mein Auto: E60 M5 & Stage 3 Audi S4
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimKlim View Post
Hey Fellas. I suppose it has been a while. I was off the board for a long time because school, my local car club, autocrossing, tracking, partying, girls, two motorcycles, graduating, getting a job and flipping a miata all got in the way. The M3 recently became an only child again and I've been catching up on her the past month or so, so I moved my project thread over from my local forum and have been trying to maintain it here.

Congrats on picking up the ZHP Smolck!! I'll always remember watching you work on that 323i as a major source of inspiration and motivation. Anyway, enough threadjacking, let's see some disassembled cars!
Good to see you again on here man. Sounds like all is well
__________________
http://www.luxury4play.com
BMW 2006 M5 - REALLY LOUD
Audi S4 2000 Stage 3 - Dat turbo spool
BMW 2000 3-series - Supercharged Because race car SOLD
Maserati 2004 M128 GT - HREs/tint/straight piped SOLD
BMW 2006 M3 - stock - SOLD
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 02-28-2012, 02:29 PM
MMME30W's Avatar
MMME30W MMME30W is offline
Super Moderator
Location: On The Move
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 14,143
Mein Auto: 2009 W906
Quote:
Originally Posted by malibumafiav View Post
good to see you again on here man. Sounds like all is well
+1
__________________
“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by,and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.”

- J.C. Watts Jr.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 02-28-2012, 09:28 PM
sunilsf sunilsf is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Bay Area, CA
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 513
Mein Auto: 2001 325it / 5sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffej View Post
I found the donor today, a 12/2004 build ZHP with 72k miles. Bashed front end. everything rear of the accessories on the motor is in good shape or better. Car starts and runs; interior is lovely, it's just the front end that's ugly as hell...

I will be putting the following items into the wagon:
M54B30
6MT
Driveshaft
Brakes (F & R)
Steering rack (if truly undamaged)
Front Control Arms (if truly undamaged)
Rear trailing arms (with new bushings)
Steering wheel
HK Stereo
Alcantara shift and parking brake boots
Dashboard and Door trim
ECU, EWS, Cluster, keys

Any other suggestions?

Everything else will be either scrapped or sold on eBay/craigslist...

Awesome, just awesome!!
Would love to hear about the cost and time involved in doing this... Good luck (and subscribed!)
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 02-29-2012, 07:36 AM
MalibuMafiaV's Avatar
MalibuMafiaV MalibuMafiaV is offline
L4P
Location: Malibu, CA
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 11,507
Send a message via AIM to MalibuMafiaV
Mein Auto: E60 M5 & Stage 3 Audi S4
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilsf View Post
Awesome, just awesome!!
Would love to hear about the cost and time involved in doing this... Good luck (and subscribed!)
Shouldn't be to bad if he does most of the work himself. The hard part imo is putting in the wiring harness from the ZHP to the wagon. My friend whos doing my manual conversion put the S54 and all M3 parts on a wagon including wiring harness. Most of the things work except rear windows, sun roof small stuff like that. I'll take a pic of it for you guys when I pickup my car.
__________________
http://www.luxury4play.com
BMW 2006 M5 - REALLY LOUD
Audi S4 2000 Stage 3 - Dat turbo spool
BMW 2000 3-series - Supercharged Because race car SOLD
Maserati 2004 M128 GT - HREs/tint/straight piped SOLD
BMW 2006 M3 - stock - SOLD
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 02-29-2012, 08:15 PM
stlmethod stlmethod is offline
Registered User
Location: St. Louis
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 83
Mein Auto: 2003 325xi
This project is an awesome idea! Although a major pain in the ass and expensive, what about adding the retrofit Navigation along with iPod & Sirius, intravee or mediabridge? May be tough to find matching dash trim etc.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 03-01-2012, 07:20 AM
ffej's Avatar
ffej ffej is offline
Tightrope walking
Location: in 2-ton shoes
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 9,564
Mein Auto: Jackwagon!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalibuMafiaV View Post
Shouldn't be to bad if he does most of the work himself. The hard part imo is putting in the wiring harness from the ZHP to the wagon. My friend whos doing my manual conversion put the S54 and all M3 parts on a wagon including wiring harness. Most of the things work except rear windows, sun roof small stuff like that. I'll take a pic of it for you guys when I pickup my car.
I don't think I'm going to do the full harness, actually. I talked to my old co-mechanics yesterday and she was excited to hear about the project. She offered up a few "while you're in there" items to inspect and/or replace while the motor and trans were out of the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlmethod View Post
This project is an awesome idea! Although a major pain in the ass and expensive, what about adding the retrofit Navigation along with iPod & Sirius, intravee or mediabridge? May be tough to find matching dash trim etc.
Had I found a ZHP with Nav, I would have absolutely done that retrofit. As it is, I'm happy with what I'll be getting out of the donor parts-car.
__________________


Building a ZHP wagon... click the pic!!!
-.-.-.--.-.-.-
Because BMW wouldn't do it for me
For Sale - HUGE part out of 2005 ZHP sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisL View Post
My input is that ffej knows what he's talking about .

Last edited by ffej; 03-01-2012 at 07:23 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 03-01-2012, 10:21 AM
Yellowm3 Yellowm3 is offline
Registered User
Location: TEXAS
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 63
Mein Auto: BMW
Wow! I'm green with envy!

I would love to watch but it'd be hard. Where are you in TX?

If we weren't looking to get something bigger than my wagon, this would totally be a rockin' mom taxi for me!!!

I love my wagon but with 2 of our 3 kids being in a car/booster seat, it means we don't all fit in it.

Anyone have an X5 with a 3rd row (just in case) in it they want to sell?
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 03-01-2012, 10:30 AM
MalibuMafiaV's Avatar
MalibuMafiaV MalibuMafiaV is offline
L4P
Location: Malibu, CA
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 11,507
Send a message via AIM to MalibuMafiaV
Mein Auto: E60 M5 & Stage 3 Audi S4
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffej View Post
I don't think I'm going to do the full harness, actually. I talked to my old co-mechanics yesterday and she was excited to hear about the project. She offered up a few "while you're in there" items to inspect and/or replace while the motor and trans were out of the car.



Had I found a ZHP with Nav, I would have absolutely done that retrofit. As it is, I'm happy with what I'll be getting out of the donor parts-car.
Sounds good. I think you should be fine with the old harness. You'll just have to do some re-programming most likely. Like re-program the car to think it was a 330i zhp to begin with and everything should work well lol.
Kinda like when I put my manual conversion in my friends re-programming it to think it was manual from the factory.
__________________
http://www.luxury4play.com
BMW 2006 M5 - REALLY LOUD
Audi S4 2000 Stage 3 - Dat turbo spool
BMW 2000 3-series - Supercharged Because race car SOLD
Maserati 2004 M128 GT - HREs/tint/straight piped SOLD
BMW 2006 M3 - stock - SOLD
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 03-01-2012, 11:41 AM
ffej's Avatar
ffej ffej is offline
Tightrope walking
Location: in 2-ton shoes
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 9,564
Mein Auto: Jackwagon!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowm3 View Post
I would love to watch but it'd be hard. Where are you in TX?
Austin. You?
__________________


Building a ZHP wagon... click the pic!!!
-.-.-.--.-.-.-
Because BMW wouldn't do it for me
For Sale - HUGE part out of 2005 ZHP sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisL View Post
My input is that ffej knows what he's talking about .
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 03-01-2012, 11:48 AM
ffej's Avatar
ffej ffej is offline
Tightrope walking
Location: in 2-ton shoes
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 9,564
Mein Auto: Jackwagon!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalibuMafiaV View Post
Sounds good. I think you should be fine with the old harness. You'll just have to do some re-programming most likely. Like re-program the car to think it was a 330i zhp to begin with and everything should work well lol.
Kinda like when I put my manual conversion in my friends re-programming it to think it was manual from the factory.
Maybe a dumb question, but did they really use different programming for multiple systems...ABS, DSC, etc? If that's the case, do you have the laundry list of modules that would need reprogramming?
__________________


Building a ZHP wagon... click the pic!!!
-.-.-.--.-.-.-
Because BMW wouldn't do it for me
For Sale - HUGE part out of 2005 ZHP sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisL View Post
My input is that ffej knows what he's talking about .
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 03-01-2012, 11:59 AM
SlimKlim's Avatar
SlimKlim SlimKlim is offline
King of Drone
Location: Fairfax, VA
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 9,239
Mein Auto: Bavarian Bombshell
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffej View Post
Maybe a dumb question, but did they really use different programming for multiple systems...ABS, DSC, etc? If that's the case, do you have the laundry list of modules that would need reprogramming?
It seems unlikely those systems would be different. They are the same generation, same software, same basic layout. All the stuff on the outside of the motor is the same too as far as the electronic sensors are concerned. Shouldn't everything just plug right into the existing harness in the wagon? Especially if the wagon is a stickshift, I can't think of anything that would be different from a stickshift RWD 2.5L and a stickshift RWD 3.0L with a set of cams in in it. Swapping over the ECU should take care of the engine software and nothing else is changing right?

Im not particularly well versed on the ins and outs of OBD-II so I'm just spitballing, but it seems logical.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 03-01-2012, 12:01 PM
Yellowm3 Yellowm3 is offline
Registered User
Location: TEXAS
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 63
Mein Auto: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffej View Post
Austin. You?
Austin <---- so against my orange blood!
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 03-01-2012, 12:14 PM
MalibuMafiaV's Avatar
MalibuMafiaV MalibuMafiaV is offline
L4P
Location: Malibu, CA
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 11,507
Send a message via AIM to MalibuMafiaV
Mein Auto: E60 M5 & Stage 3 Audi S4
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffej View Post
Maybe a dumb question, but did they really use different programming for multiple systems...ABS, DSC, etc? If that's the case, do you have the laundry list of modules that would need reprogramming?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimKlim View Post
It seems unlikely those systems would be different. They are the same generation, same software, same basic layout. All the stuff on the outside of the motor is the same too as far as the electronic sensors are concerned. Shouldn't everything just plug right into the existing harness in the wagon? Especially if the wagon is a stickshift, I can't think of anything that would be different from a stickshift RWD 2.5L and a stickshift RWD 3.0L with a set of cams in in it. Swapping over the ECU should take care of the engine software and nothing else is changing right?

Im not particularly well versed on the ins and outs of OBD-II so I'm just spitballing, but it seems logical.
Yeah Slim said it pretty well. AS long as it's stick shift and the transmission matches the wiring harness you should be fine. If the computer was originally auto than all you'd have to do is set it to manual from the factory with programming.
__________________
http://www.luxury4play.com
BMW 2006 M5 - REALLY LOUD
Audi S4 2000 Stage 3 - Dat turbo spool
BMW 2000 3-series - Supercharged Because race car SOLD
Maserati 2004 M128 GT - HREs/tint/straight piped SOLD
BMW 2006 M3 - stock - SOLD
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 03-01-2012, 12:59 PM
SlimKlim's Avatar
SlimKlim SlimKlim is offline
King of Drone
Location: Fairfax, VA
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 9,239
Mein Auto: Bavarian Bombshell
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalibuMafiaV View Post
Yeah Slim said it pretty well. AS long as it's stick shift and the transmission matches the wiring harness you should be fine. If the computer was originally auto than all you'd have to do is set it to manual from the factory with programming.
That does make me think of one possible speedbump. I wonder if the 5 speed coming out of the wagon will have different connectors than the 6 speed going in? Even so, the reverse sensor from one trans to another can't be all that different, you could probably just spice the connector from the new trans onto the harness in the wagon.

Maybe you mentioned it in your original post, but are you planning on facelifting the wagon or will this be a pre-facelift ZHP?
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 03-01-2012, 02:18 PM
ffej's Avatar
ffej ffej is offline
Tightrope walking
Location: in 2-ton shoes
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 9,564
Mein Auto: Jackwagon!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimKlim View Post
That does make me think of one possible speedbump. I wonder if the 5 speed coming out of the wagon will have different connectors than the 6 speed going in? Even so, the reverse sensor from one trans to another can't be all that different, you could probably just spice the connector from the new trans onto the harness in the wagon.
Good to know that I might have to, and super easy to do the splice if I do
Quote:
Maybe you mentioned it in your original post, but are you planning on facelifting the wagon or will this be a pre-facelift ZHP?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffej View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by smolck View Post
With all the money you will make in parting out what you don't keep, you could easily pay for the body kit. At the very least you gotta seriously consider the Mtech 2 front bumper. It just wouldn't be a ZHP Wagon without it.
It's a possibility, but I kinda like the stealth idea...a LOT
__________________


Building a ZHP wagon... click the pic!!!
-.-.-.--.-.-.-
Because BMW wouldn't do it for me
For Sale - HUGE part out of 2005 ZHP sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisL View Post
My input is that ffej knows what he's talking about .
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 03-02-2012, 05:16 PM
Cliff Cliff is offline
TMS
Location: Home
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 9,269
Mein Auto: BMW
Nice project, Jeff You may want to touch base with Matt Medeiros - he was doing a 6 speed swap into a 330 the last time I talked to him (LSD too, I think - Chu Chaing is acquiring some more autoX points).
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 03-03-2012, 07:51 AM
ffej's Avatar
ffej ffej is offline
Tightrope walking
Location: in 2-ton shoes
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 9,564
Mein Auto: Jackwagon!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff View Post
Nice project, Jeff You may want to touch base with Matt Medeiros - he was doing a 6 speed swap into a 330 the last time I talked to him (LSD too, I think - Chu Chaing is acquiring some more autoX points).
Good call, thanks Cliff. I'll ask him about LSD options, too.
__________________


Building a ZHP wagon... click the pic!!!
-.-.-.--.-.-.-
Because BMW wouldn't do it for me
For Sale - HUGE part out of 2005 ZHP sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisL View Post
My input is that ffej knows what he's talking about .
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms