Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-28-2012, 01:35 PM

Mein Auto: USA
2009 335I ticking noise from drivers side engine compartment at idle

I have noticed a ticking sound that is louder than normal coming from the drivers side of engine compartment. This sound is something like what others have described as lifters, but I have read that the N54 engine typ does not have this issue, so I took it to the stealer for service to look at it. Withing a few min. the tech found the problem. On the Drivers side, towards the very back of the engine compartment there is an emissions purge valve that takes the fumes from the gas tank and sends them into the intake. This purge valve's opening and closing is the source of the sound. It is alot louder than the tech has ever heard before and so they are putting a new one in under the warranty.
Just wanted to pass this info on to anyone who may also have this noise. The tech said that it would more than likely be just fine, but due to the loud sound, he will for fear that it may be going bad.
Advertisement