Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E89 Z4 (2009 - current)

E89 Z4 (2009 - current)

Old 04-08-2010, 04:59 PM

Mein Auto: '10 BMW sZ43.5i
"call up with remote control" function for memory seats?

Hello, i have a question regarding this feature. i have followed the instructions in the manual and having some difficulties. With Key Fob in pocket, I set the seats/mirrors to memory button #1. I also went into I- drive, and set the "last seat position auto" button. Now if I move the seats to a different position, they will go back to the memo position if I depress the #1 button on the memory. What does NOT happen though that I thought should is if I move the seats to a different position, and then unlock the car with key fob, the seats do NOT move back by themselves. They will only move back if I press the #1 button on the side of the seat. Any thoughts on how to make the seats go back to memorized position with the remote? The manual makes this seem like it should work.

PS- a a follow up, all grease removed from headliner, and no more grease shows up. they fixed it! ALso, if anyone is thinking of getting illuminated door sills installed, I had em done... looks GREAT!!

Andrew
Ads by Google
Old 04-08-2010, 06:22 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 Z4 35i, 2006 525xi
So, the way that works with seat memory is like this: memory #1 is for one key, memory #2 is for the other. If you are using memory #1 when you drive, the car recognizes that your key is associated with your seat position. So you stop and get out, lock the door with your key and then use the other key (which was used to drive with seats in the memory #2 position) to open the locks. The seats and mirrors should now move to the memory #2 position, either immediately or upon opening the door, whichever you designate in the iDrive. If you don't open the door, the car will relock and the seats revert to the previous position. Makes sense?
Old 04-08-2010, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jparnes1 View Post
So, the way that works with seat memory is like this: memory #1 is for one key, memory #2 is for the other. If you are using memory #1 when you drive, the car recognizes that your key is associated with your seat position. So you stop and get out, lock the door with your key and then use the other key (which was used to drive with seats in the memory #2 position) to open the locks. The seats and mirrors should now move to the memory #2 position, either immediately or upon opening the door, whichever you designate in the iDrive. If you don't open the door, the car will relock and the seats revert to the previous position. Makes sense?
Am i missing something in the I drive? the only option i see is under locks, and it says "last seat position auto". not finding options about when the seats return. also, i have only programmed 1 key to the number 1 memory button. do i HAVE to program the other one to get this to work? what if someone who is using my number one key fobb moves the sets manually and when I go to get back in the car (saying he got out and locked it after moving the seats manually (like a valet, car wash), will my key fob then revert the seats back to my original memory position sorry if i am confusing this more than needs be.... I'm actually a physician, so not completely inept, but not being able to figure this out is making me feel REALLY stupid !! thanks for helping :-)
Old 04-08-2010, 07:07 PM

Apparently the dealer had already programmed one of the remotes, so I think for some reason one of the remotes was already assigned to memory #1, and that is what i was trying to pair the remote I was using with. That being said, now I have my key fob saved to memory 2, and just by opening the door it goes to the correct seating. I still can't get it to move back to correct seating if I move the seats manually to a different position, lock the door with my key fob, and they try to open the door again with my key fob, the seat wont move..strange......
Old 04-08-2010, 07:10 PM

LOL! My wife's a physician too and she can't figure these things out either. I'm a dentist and work with gadgets all day long, so maybe it comes more naturally. Don't sweat it. I just tried your scenario using just the #1 key as if a valet moved your seat. It didn't move after I opened the lock. So I guess the key is the determining factor. You'd just have to press the memory button with your finger after you get in. Or tell the valet not to mess with your car!
Old 04-08-2010, 07:28 PM

thanks. Can i ask you one more thing? there are two memory buttons, number 1 and 2. So are there 2 memory settings PER KEY or just one number for each key? What kind of physician is your wife... I am a surgeon...this should NOT be this difficult! And I think your right... if you manually move the seat, with either key...then it wont revert back unless you press the memory button..... right?
Old 04-08-2010, 07:42 PM

One memory button per key. That way the car knows which seat position is associated with which key. Frankly, I drive the car 99.9% of the time, so this feature is not commonly in use. But it is handy on those few occasions. And yes, the only way the seats will move is if the key other than the one that locked the door is used to open it. I hear you though...it would be nice after valet parking.
My wife's an OB. I'm convinced it's not how educated you are but rather how your mind works. Probably lots of high school drop outs can figure out the iDrive menus really fast. Don't feel bad...you've got other skills!
Old 04-08-2010, 07:44 PM

your right! Thanks for your help!! I wont use it much either, but its just nice to use all the functionality of a brand new car!
Old 04-09-2010, 02:27 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW Z-4 35 i
Great Info - thanks to you both !
Old 04-24-2010, 01:59 PM

Mein Auto: '08 335i
Key-based memory has to be programmed with the key in the ignition, or "key receiver" slot in the dash. You program with the key inserted, get out, lock the car, and don't do anything with the second key (programming) for at least 10 minutes. That shouldn't confuse anything, but I've found that it does.
Old 08-16-2011, 10:06 AM

Mein Auto: X5 Diesel xDrive35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewaw View Post
thanks. Can i ask you one more thing? there are two memory buttons, number 1 and 2. So are there 2 memory settings PER KEY or just one number for each key? What kind of physician is your wife... I am a surgeon...this should NOT be this difficult! And I think your right... if you manually move the seat, with either key...then it wont revert back unless you press the memory button..... right?
Yes programming the memory seats and remote keys are indeed a bit tricky. My wife and I spent some time to get this right no sense in having these features and not use it!

We have a 2011 X5 xDrive 35d with Comfort Access and memory seats for both driver and front passenger. My wife at 5'3" and myself at 6' means these memory seats and mirrors have to work consistently ALL the time! Owner's manual was not very clear, so read several forum postings on various threads, some were correct but too brief, others were simply wrong (E70 and E53 chassis are different). Hopefully this detailed post (pardon the length) will clear things up.

* Nomenclature: M1 and M2 are the two buttons located along the side of the seat both driver and front passenger seats have their respective M1 and M2 buttons. FOB1 and FOB2 are the two remote keys.

* To program the FOB, the Start/Stop button must be in "radio readiness" mode (see Owner's Manual, Page 58) and the FOB inserted into the dash board. To play it extra safe, I did all the programming with the engine running and transmission in Park.

* There are two types of memories - "Car Memory" and "Key Memory". "Car Memory" includes programmed functions that are always activated, regardless of which FOB is used. For example, the day-time running lights will always be on, if programmed to do so, no matter which FOB is being used. Preferred radio station and temperature settings are Key Memory settings and therefore specific to the FOB being used.

* Contrary to one or two postings in this forum, M1 and M2 memories for both driver and passenger are FOB specific. i.e. M1/M2 is a "Key Memory" and not a "Car Memory". See Owner's Manual, Page 44-45.

* To facilitate the fact that I ride as a front-seat passenger when my wife is driving and vice versa, we did the following: Both driver and passenger M1 settings for both FOBs were programmed to fit me and M2 on both seats for both FOBs were programmed to fit my wife. Note - backrest width and lumbar support are not stored in the key memory; see Owner's Manual, Page 44.

* To program my key, FOB1, I unlocked the car using FOB1, inserted FOB1 into the dashboard and then started the engine. Adjusted the driver seat, steering wheel position and mirrors to suit me, and saved it under driver M1. I then set the driver and passenger side temperatures to mine and my wife's preferences respectively and also set the radio to NPR (my favorite station). My wife then sat on the passenger seat and saved her seat setting under passenger seat M2 (not M1). I also "checked" the "Last Seat Position auto" (iDrive => Settings => Door Locks). Finally I committed all these settings to FOB1 key memory by switching off the engine, removing FOB1 from the dashboard, stepped out AND locked the car using FOB1.

* I repeated the above steps using FOB2 (my wife's key) this time saved her driver seat preference under driver M2 and my passenger seat preference under passenger M1. Yes the radio was set to BBC (her preference) and hers and my temperature preferences were set on the driver and passenger side respectively. Also "checked" the Last Seat Position auto. Finally completed the programming by switching off the engine, removed FOB2 from the dashboard AND locked the car using FOB2.

* All of the one-time programming steps are now complete!

A few typical scenarios we run into:

* Scenario 1: My wife unlocks the car using her FOB2 driver side automatically adjusts to her settings when she opens the driver door, radio tunes to her preference (BBC) and driver and passenger side temperatures are set to hers and mine respectively. With the passenger door open I press M1 on the passenger seat to move the seat to my desired passenger seat position. Passenger seat "does not" move automatically even if "Last Seat Position auto" is checked.

* Scenario 2: I unlock the car using FOB1 (after she has driven the car previously) both external mirrors adjust upon comfort access or FOB1 unlock and seat adjusts upon opening the door. Radio and temperatures revert to FOB1 settings. My wife presses M2 on the passenger seat to move the seat to her desired position.

* Scenario 3 unlocking car with non-driver FOB: After I drive the car and lock the car using my key (FOB1), my wife approaches the car from the passenger side with FOB2 in her handbag and unlocks the car via Comfort Access using passenger side door handle, all four doors unlock. (We have the iDrive set where all four door unlocks with one press of the unlock button. iDrive => Settings => Door Locks => Unlock Button, Page 28) A minute later I approach with my FOB1 in my pocket and open the driver door yes the seats, etc all remain set to my preference even though the car was originally unlocked by my wife from the "passenger side" why the "Last Seat Position auto" feature only works when doors are unlocked from the driver's side. Since my wife unlocked the door from the passenger side, the driver seat did not move - and since I drove it last, the settings remained correct for me. Pretty neat eh?

* Scenario 4 addresses valet changing seat/mirror settings: We often valet park and the valet occassionally adjusts the seats and mirrors. We are a bit late getting to the valet after we called for our car to be brought to the front (unfortunately a frequent occurrence!). Valet hands me FOB1, I go up to the car and unlock the car using FOB1. I press M1 with driver door still open to clear any adjustments the valet may have made.

* If I press M1 after getting inside the car and closing the door, I will have to press AND hold M1 until the seats, steering wheel and mirrors finish adjusting. It is designed this way for safety reasons - see Owner's Manual, Page 45, under Activating => Safety Feature => Bullet #2.

* Scenario 5 explains why we chose M1 and M2 like we did: My wife and I want to do a quickie driver change on a long distance drive. I am driving with my key (FOB1) sitting in the coffee mug holder. FOB2 is in my wife's handbag, which is sitting behind the driver's seat. I pull over and stop, shift the transmission into Park, engage the parking brake and exit the car with the engine still running. We switch seats she presses M2 on the driver's seat and I press M1 on the passenger seat yes the seats, mirrors, etc. are all now correct for my wife (driver) and me (passenger). Those of you who are reading this post "very carefully" yes you are right radio and temperature settings are now flipped why - because my keys (FOB1) is still the active key. Yes she now has to listen to my NPR and I have to endure her temperature setting on the passenger side! For a quickie driver switch, time is of the essence, therefore this flipped radio/temperature setting is a small price to pay . . . we certainly don't want that bunched up traffic that I just managed to overtake using some of the best "ultimate driving machine" moves!

Finally, there was some chatter about when the seats actually adjust when pressing unlock button on remote (FOB) or when opening the door. This is a dealer setting (Car Memory) yes you have to get the dealer to do it. Factory default is "not active" means (I think) - nothing will happen when you unlock by pressing the unlock button on FOB or by touching the door handle (Comfort Access) or when you open the door. Driver seat will only move when you press M1 or M2.

The "BMW attachment" I read was a bit dated, so not sure if this factory default setting applies to E70 chassis or the previous E53 chassis. The dealer can change this setting to "active" and also set when the seat/mirror adjustments happens on door opening or just unlocking.

We have mild climate here in California, so I have ours set to adjust when opening the door I like to see the seat moving to confirm it did happen. For colder climates, it might be better to set the seats to adjust on pressing the unlock button on the FOB.

If after "checking" the "Last Seat Position auto" your seats still do not move automatically after opening the driver door, then most likely this feature is set to "inactive". Get your dealer to confirm this.

I tested everything I wrote here on our 2011 X5 xDrive 35d (E70 chassis). If someone finds a mistake, please let me know what you encountered and I will try and repeat it at my end and if necessary, adjust this post. Thanks.

Hopefully this post has allowed some folks to avoid a trip to the dealer!

Last edited by RPsX5d; 08-17-2011 at 06:12 PM.
Old 08-19-2011, 06:40 PM

Mein Auto: USA
Now if only I can get mine working on my car WITHOUT iDrive. LOL
Old 12-06-2011, 12:07 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 328 touring xDrive
I'd like some more info on RPsX5d's reply. I am having an issue with calling up the seat memory in my 2012 328 touring with power seat/comfort access/iDrive. The seat only moves when the drivers door is opened (not when the FOB is used to unlock the door) furthermore, when the door is closed after I sit in the car, the seat stops moving. So basically I have to sit there with the door open while the seat finished adjusting. This was not the case on my 2008 128- seat moved when FOB was used and did not stop when door is closed.

I have taken it to 2 dealerships in town. Everyone initially tells me it is a setting within iDrive and then realizes later that it is not. After realizing this, the first dealer (the one I bought the car from) showed little interest and told me that new cars only adjust seat when the door is open- I find this hard to believe. The second at least showed more interest and hooked it up to a computer but said they could not find where to make the adjustment. Does anyone know the specific settings that have to be changed (within the diagnostic software) to enable the FOBs?

Also, if RPsX5d is still tuning into this thread, could you give me the name of the dealership that you dealt with (possibly the person you dealt with) and I will give them a call.
Old 12-06-2011, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimGo View Post
I'd like some more info on RPsX5d's reply. I am having an issue with calling up the seat memory in my 2012 328 touring with power seat/comfort access/iDrive. The seat only moves when the drivers door is opened (not when the FOB is used to unlock the door) furthermore, when the door is closed after I sit in the car, the seat stops moving. . . .

Also, if RPsX5d is still tuning into this thread, could you give me the name of the dealership that you dealt with (possibly the person you dealt with) and I will give them a call.
All comments below are based on my 2011 e70.

Your car appears to be working exactly the way it was designed.

Seat movement, by default, is when the door is opened, not when the door is unlocked. This did not bother me, so never asked dealer to change it. However, I did see some info related to this on another forum - see attached, for a different model BMW. So there is a chance your car may also have the option to change this default from door-open to door-unlock.

Regarding the actual seat movement - yes it moves automatically when the door is left open. It quits moving when door is closed - even if the adjustment process is not complete. This, according to Dealer, is a safety feature - with door closed, assumption is driver/passenger is sitting on the seat, if seat moves automatically, there is a chance the person might get sqeezed.

To move the seat to the progammed position with the door closed - press and *HOLD* the memory buttons (M1 or M2).

Regarding iDrive comment - if the last seat position field is checked (don't have the car with me, so not sure about the exact iDrive words), then car will remember the last position for the key FOB used. i.e. if some adjustments were made to the seat settings, but it was not committed to M1 (M2), the next time when that particular key FOB is used, seats will go to the last seat position, not M1 or M2 positions. I leave this featured "checked" in iDrive - why - in case I forget to commit the new settings (result of minor tweaks) to memory, I can still do it the next time in the car (assuming my wife hasn't used the car), versus having to readjust the whole thing. Second, this feature could act as a pseudo "third" memory position.

BMW Concord, at Concord CA / Kevin. As indicated above, I don't mind seat movement on door-unlock, so did not ask Dealer to check if default could be changed on my e70.

Non-BMW programmers (who get the mirrors to fold automatically, doors to unlock upon ignition off, etc) might be able to change this default for you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW Door Open Trigger.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	119.8 KB
ID:	303890  
Old 12-06-2011, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeart View Post
Now if only I can get mine working on my car WITHOUT iDrive. LOL
Not sure why yours should be any more difficult than those with iDrive. What I indicated in my earlier post has nothing to do with iDrive . . . just the seats memory buttons (M1/M2).

Yes the "last seat position" feature in iDrive might be a tad tricky, but that is a trivial feature, no big deal if it is not there.
Old 12-06-2011, 07:52 PM

Thanks for the speedy reply. I have pretty much everything sorted, the only real issue I have is the seat not moving until the door is open. I have about a foot on my wife and cannot fit in the car with her settings. Also, did I mention I live waaaaay up north and we commonly hit -30 in the winter! I guess I just took for granted that the seat would start moving when I unlocked the door from a distance with the FOB since my '08 128 did this. The somewhat frustrating this is that I have talked to a couple of dealers out of town who say this is easily customizable, however those in town are stumped. I'll keep at it and maybe call Kevin tomorrow.

Thanks again......
Old 12-10-2011, 11:18 AM

Response from BMW

For interests sake I emailed BMW customer care about this issue and have included their answer below. Odd that, according to them, having iDrive (nav) means the seats cannot be adjusted using the unlock button on the remote (only via opening the door). Especially taking into account that in Canada options on the the 3-series touring come bundled together so that in order to get comfort access you have to get iDrive.....

>Thank you for your patience while I researched your inquiry.

>I was able to confirm that regretfully, your vehicle does not have the same feature that your >2008 BMW 128i had. This is because your 2012 BMW 328xi Sport Wagon has navigation, >which eliminates the option for the seat feature you inquired about. Additionally, it is not >possible to program your vehicle through iDrive or your key to access this feature.

>The excerpt you included from our website is describing the feature on a 2012 BMW 328xi >Sport Wagon without navigation. Please be advised that you may use the seat memory >settings that are located on the side of the driver's seat to store your preferred seat >positions. By following the programming directions in your Owner's Manual, you may press >the appropriate button to have your seat return to the position you have stored. We hope >you find this information helpful.

>If you have any further comments, please reply to this email or contact the Customer >Interaction Centre at 1-800-567-2691. Again, thank you for contacting BMW Canada.

>Sincerely,

>Kate
>Customer Interaction Specialist
Old 02-28-2012, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPsX5d View Post
. . . .

* To program my key, FOB1, I unlocked the car using FOB1, inserted FOB1 into the dashboard and then started the engine. Adjusted the driver seat, steering wheel position and mirrors to suit me, and saved it under driver M1. I then set the driver and passenger side temperatures to mine and my wife's preferences respectively and also set the radio to NPR (my favorite station). My wife then sat on the passenger seat and saved her seat setting under passenger seat M2 (not M1). I also "checked" the "Last Seat Position auto" (iDrive => Settings => Door Locks). Finally I committed all these settings to FOB1 key memory by switching off the engine, removing FOB1 from the dashboard, stepped out AND locked the car using FOB1.

* Missing step: With FOB1 still in the dashboard, wife and I switched places - she adjusted driver seat to fit her and saved the setting under driver seat M2. I saved my passenger seat setting under passenger seat M1. We did this so we can do a quick driver switch without having to shut the engine off and switch FOBs.

* I repeated the above steps using FOB2 (my wife's key) this time saved her driver seat preference under driver M2 and my passenger seat preference under passenger M1. Yes the radio was set to BBC (her preference) and hers and my temperature preferences were set on the driver and passenger side respectively. Also "checked" the Last Seat Position auto. Finally completed the programming by switching off the engine, removed FOB2 from the dashboard AND locked the car using FOB2.

* Missing step: With FOB2 still in the dashboard, wife and I switched places - I adjusted driver seat to fit me and saved the setting under driver seat M1. My wife saved her passenger seat setting under passenger seat M2.

* All of the one-time programming steps are now complete! . . . .
Sorry my original post (#11) was really long-winded . . . just read it again before linking this post to another thread.

In a nutshell, the memory savings are as follows:
FOB1: Driver M1-me, Driver M2-my wife; Passenger M1-me, Passenger M2-my wife.

FOB2: Driver M1-me, Driver M2-my wife; Passenger M1-me, Passenger M2-my wife.
This way, regardless of which FOB is used, M1 is always me and M2 is always my wife, for both passenger and driver seats - easy to remember! (Before someone asks - this is considered my car, so Position 1 is me, the convertible we have is hers, and on that Position 1 is my wife.)