Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E89 Z4 (2009 - current)

E89 Z4 (2009 - current)

Old 11-14-2011, 07:45 PM
Iwanna330Cic

Mein Auto: '11 E91 & '12 Z4 3.5i
2012 Z4 sDrive28i - And The Verdict Is?

Just wondering who has driven (bought/leased) one of the new I-4 turbo models? How do you like it? Engine sound & response? Turbo lag? Acceleration? 0-6 is only about 1/2 second "slower" than the 35i... but thousands less to acquire. Is the I-4 as smooth and quick (or close to it) as the I-6? And does it "feel" like a 4 cylinder up front? Feel free to add any other reactions or thoughts. Thanks.

Doug
Old 11-15-2011, 07:38 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 Z4 sDrive 35i
We will see if the 4 cylinder is really a 1/2 second slower than the 35i after someone does a true road test with the car and publishes it, such as Road & Track or Motor Trend.

BMW has already overestimated the 0-60 time for the 35i. The 35i does 0-60 in 4.7 based on tests. It is faster than the 5.0 BMW claims. Meaning the 4 cylinder will have to do a 5.2 to truly be a 1/2 second behind the 35i.

A 1/2 second is still signifigant in the 4-5 second range. The faster car would be noticeably faster if watching such a race.
Old 11-15-2011, 03:49 PM
Iwanna330Cic

OK - fair enough.

Anyone else have any experience with this model as per my points above?

Doug
Old 02-08-2012, 09:43 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 Z4 28i
I just got one recently and right off the bat, it did not feel like a 4 cylinder engine car. It kicks and is extremely fun to drive.
Old 02-09-2012, 12:07 AM
resU deretsigeR

Mein Auto: Leaf Tekna
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwanna330cic View Post
Just wondering who has driven (bought/leased) one of the new I-4 turbo models?
We took an sDrive20i out on a 2 1/ 2 hour test drive. The 20i is the same N20 engine as the 28i de-tuned to 184HP.

We liked it well enough to place an order. I strongly recommend a test drive. If possible, get the car for an entire day. My first impression was not positive but it grew on me.

It sounds like a four cylinder.

There is no turbo lag. Both engines are flat rated. They hit full power and torque early in the power curve and stick there. The de-tuned 20i is "flatter".

Flat rating makes the engine feel more powerful than the HP and Torque numbers. It also makes the car stupid easy to drive.

Smooth as the I-6? No. The N20 is smoother than most inline-4 engines. BMW must have done a lot of work with balance.

Does it feel like a 4 up front? Not so much. I felt isolated from the 'grunt' part of the motor. The difference is more in sound than feel.

On the plus side, the N20 takes about 40lbs of weight off the front of the car and uses less fuel.

EDIT: Just noticed this is a 3 month old thread.... Might as well leave my reply up.
The models and equipment (standard and optional) illustrated in this post reflect my misunderstanding of vehicles supplied by BMW AG to the German market. In other EU member states, the truthyness of my posts may vary. Please ignore this post. Subject to change.

Last edited by Andrew*Debbie; 02-09-2012 at 12:55 AM. Reason: old thread
Old 02-09-2012, 12:49 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 650i convertible
It still has that 4cyl noisy sewing machine sound and a little vibration. That's my only gripe with it.
Old 02-12-2012, 06:23 AM

Mein Auto: Z4 2012
I just bought a Z4 2.0si - 2012 model... The engines performance so far has been beyond my expectation... The acceleration is good enough for a smaller engine and the sound of the twin turbos is music to the ears... Haven't really tested its full potential so far. Will post the results when I get a chance to take it to its limits. Just a personal comparison between my old 530i (2007) and the Z4: Z4 reaches above 140 km/h in a flash as compared to the 530i... My analogy is based upon the fact that here we have speed cameras installed on certain portions of the highway after every 1 km and these cameras flash you when above 140... Since I got my Z4 (which was about 3 days ago), I have already gotten 2 speeding tickets ... Where as I have never gotten a speeding ticket in my 530i...
Old 02-28-2012, 09:45 PM
Retired

Mein Auto: 12 z & 09 Accord Coupe
picked up a melbourne red z4 2.8 this past weekend. Very impressed with the turbo 4. Comfort setting for a lot of interstate driving is really nice. Very happy so far.

RTOM.....
Old 02-29-2012, 09:06 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 Z4 35i, 2006 525xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen E View Post
picked up a melbourne red z4 2.8 this past weekend. Very impressed with the turbo 4. Comfort setting for a lot of interstate driving is really nice. Very happy so far.
Looks like we have very similar cars, although mine is a 35i. Melbourne, black and M Sport, 18" wheels. Very nice. What else do you have in it? I've got nav, premium package, premium sound, cold weather (I know you don't have that!), and CA.

2012 Z4 35i, ED 2/24/12, Melbourne Red Metallic, Black leather, 6 MT, ///M Sport, Premium Package, Premium Sound Package, Cold Weather Package, Nav, Comfort Access, LED Angel Eyes, BMWPedals pedal covers, stubby antenna, Luxon strut bar, CF engine cover, LCI side marker, powder coated calipers, Extra Enjoyment Package
Old 02-29-2012, 09:34 AM
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by jparnes1 View Post
Looks like we have very similar cars, although mine is a 35i. Melbourne, black and M Sport, 18" wheels. Very nice. What else do you have in it? I've got nav, premium package, premium sound, cold weather (I know you don't have that!), and CA.
actually that's a stereotype - many of us down here have at least seat warmers - great for your back on a long trip and it gets 50 degrees here in winter and my wife is a reptile when it comes to cold.

I have seats, premium, m package, apps, nav, blk leather. my car is part of my retirement package from BMW of North America, was with them 22 years. Got out of an X3.....great car too.

RTOM.....
Old 02-29-2012, 10:54 PM
resU deretsigeR

Mein Auto: Leaf Tekna
Glen,

Does your Z4 have a Manual Transmission?

Our high temp today will be near 50F . . . We've ordered our Z with heated seats and heated steering wheel.
The models and equipment (standard and optional) illustrated in this post reflect my misunderstanding of vehicles supplied by BMW AG to the German market. In other EU member states, the truthyness of my posts may vary. Please ignore this post. Subject to change.
Old 03-01-2012, 12:00 AM
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew*Debbie View Post
Glen,

Does your Z4 have a Manual Transmission?

Our high temp today will be near 50F . . . We've ordered our Z with heated seats and heated steering wheel.

no..8 spd auto trans...too many in town miles for manual trans

RTOM.....
Old 03-08-2012, 06:27 PM
Iwanna330Cic

I finally got a chance to drive the 28i and 35i back to back. I am very impressed with the 28i, but I'm not sure I personally could warm up to the dual set of sounds coming from the engine: A really nice and satisfying growl - almost more than what I would really want - but the simultaneous polar opposite whining sound of the turbo spooling up along with the 4-banger buzzing. Not horribly objectionable - just different.

The 35i, though, has a very natural and highly satisfying feel, sense of acceleration, and that wonderful engine singing/exhaust note duet. This version just give me more of what I really want in a sportscar. I thoroughly understand how some really appreciate and prefer the 28i, but if I go ahead with getting a new Z4, mine will definitely be that I-6 that we all know and love.

Thank you all for responding to my original post.

Doug

Last edited by iwanna330cic; 03-08-2012 at 06:33 PM.