Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 03-03-2012, 08:15 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Holden Wagon & Sedan
Fog Light Changing Procedures

Winter is close to being over so I went ahead and dusted off the fog light that's been sitting on my work bench to replace the passenger one that busted 500 miles after I took delivery

Pictures attached below, it was only about a 10-20 minute job, and with the DEF tank behind the passenger fog, I picked the worst one to break. Definitely a do it yourself job to save ~$100.

First picture is my broken light and the only tools I used. A thumb wheel, a T20 torx bit and a 1/4" bit driver extension.

1. Pull the lower side grill from the front bumper, reference picture two for tab locations if you need to slip something in there that won't gouge your bumper.

2. Disconnect wire from fog light (or just twist the whole bulb and pull out to get at wire connector.

3. Using thumb wheel and no extension unscrew the closest screw (I used a dental mirror to see what I was dealing with, but rest assured its a T20).

4. Add extension for the innermost screw as it is set deeper and there is space behind.

5. This was honestly the worst part, in order to get the housing out you have to squeeze it over the DEF tank and bring it out the far top left corner of the opening (driver side would be much better).

6. Reverse steps to install new housing. Don't forget to connect the wiring back up and align if need be

Third picture is the DEF secondary tank that is smack dab in the way.

Fourth picture shows how tight it is to the front bumper, I don't have huge hands, but I don't have little dainty hands either and I didn't have an issue squeezing my hands back there but getting the fog light out sucked.

Fifth picture is the part number for the splash gaurds / air deflectors. I thought I saw someone asking for this the other day but couldn't find the thread again, they are only held on by 2 screws and not necessary for this job but since I was down there

Jay
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tools.jpg
Views:	531
Size:	288.1 KB
ID:	314989   Click image for larger version

Name:	grill.jpg
Views:	597
Size:	285.3 KB
ID:	314990   Click image for larger version

Name:	defsecondary.jpg
Views:	629
Size:	296.2 KB
ID:	314991   Click image for larger version

Name:	nospace.jpg
Views:	549
Size:	227.2 KB
ID:	314992   Click image for larger version

Name:	splashgaurd.jpg
Views:	465
Size:	277.6 KB
ID:	314993  

Ads by Google
Old 03-04-2012, 02:40 AM

Mein Auto: X5 Diesel xDrive35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by jashearer View Post
. . . . I thought I saw someone asking for this the other day but couldn't find the thread again, they are only held on by 2 screws and not necessary for this job but since I was down there

Jay
Nice write-up . . . . I just happened to read the thread you are referring to here now . . . so cross-linking these two threads . . .

How to change Fog light bulb on E70 ?
Old 03-04-2012, 07:26 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X5 35d
Hey thanks for the time to take and post your pictures. You guys are great.
Mods : Clear Bra-Radar Hard-wired
So far so good-made on Wednesday
Old 03-04-2012, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgejm View Post
Hey thanks for the time to take and post your pictures. You guys are great.
Welcome!
Old 10-01-2012, 10:29 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X5 2011, 328i 2013
Appreciate the post

Hello,

I am a new member of bimmerfest. I recently noticed that the passenger side fog lens of my 2011 X5 was cracked (maybe by a rock). I called the dealer and they are asking $380 for replacement (including labor). I found a used OEM part on ebay for $89 which I just ordered. I also ordered the tools that were mentioned in the post (total $25).
With the help of this post I'm positive that I would be able to change the fog light myself. The post has been very helpful and it is sincerely appreciated.

Before going through this post, I had taken the plastic grill out and put my iphone in to make a video of the assembly and to locate the screws. It was very helpful. I can't wait for the shipment to arrive so that I can fix it myself

Again a big thank you to "jashearer" for this post and pictures. It is really helpful. The biggest motivation is that someone was able to do it without any instructions so why can't I after beautifully described step by step process.

Keep up the good work

Regards!
Shooney

Last edited by shooney; 10-01-2012 at 10:34 AM.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooney View Post
Hello,

I am a new member of bimmerfest. I recently noticed that the passenger side fog lens of my 2011 X5 was cracked (maybe by a rock). I called the dealer and they are asking $380 for replacement (including labor). I found a used OEM part on ebay for $89 which I just ordered. I also ordered the tools that were mentioned in the post (total $25).
With the help of this post I'm positive that I would be able to change the fog light myself. The post has been very helpful and it is sincerely appreciated.

Before going through this post, I had taken the plastic grill out and put my iphone in to make a video of the assembly and to locate the screws. It was very helpful. I can't wait for the shipment to arrive so that I can fix it myself

Again a big thank you to "jashearer" for this post and pictures. It is really helpful. The biggest motivation is that someone was able to do it without any instructions so why can't I after beautifully described step by step process.

Keep up the good work

Regards!
Shooney
$380 :o

Your very welcome. Re-visit and be sure to add anything if you think it would help someone else after you get done with yours.

I forgot to put a picture of a bottle of your favorite IPA (or Hefe since its German) next to the necessary tools

Jay
Old 02-13-2013, 10:23 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 X5d
Thanks for this. hoping to put some PIAA yellow fogs in my 2012 diesel this weekend
Old 02-13-2013, 10:43 AM

Mein Auto: 05' 745 & 01 740 IL Sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by jashearer View Post
Winter is close to being over so I went ahead and dusted off the fog light that's been sitting on my work bench to replace the passenger one that busted 500 miles after I took delivery

Pictures attached below, it was only about a 10-20 minute job, and with the DEF tank behind the passenger fog, I picked the worst one to break. Definitely a do it yourself job to save ~$100.

First picture is my broken light and the only tools I used. A thumb wheel, a T20 torx bit and a 1/4" bit driver extension.

1. Pull the lower side grill from the front bumper, reference picture two for tab locations if you need to slip something in there that won't gouge your bumper.

2. Disconnect wire from fog light (or just twist the whole bulb and pull out to get at wire connector.

3. Using thumb wheel and no extension unscrew the closest screw (I used a dental mirror to see what I was dealing with, but rest assured its a T20).

4. Add extension for the innermost screw as it is set deeper and there is space behind.

5. This was honestly the worst part, in order to get the housing out you have to squeeze it over the DEF tank and bring it out the far top left corner of the opening (driver side would be much better).

6. Reverse steps to install new housing. Don't forget to connect the wiring back up and align if need be

Third picture is the DEF secondary tank that is smack dab in the way.

Fourth picture shows how tight it is to the front bumper, I don't have huge hands, but I don't have little dainty hands either and I didn't have an issue squeezing my hands back there but getting the fog light out sucked.

Fifth picture is the part number for the splash gaurds / air deflectors. I thought I saw someone asking for this the other day but couldn't find the thread again, they are only held on by 2 screws and not necessary for this job but since I was down there

Jay
Thanks for the writeup.
2007 X5 4.8 | Sport Package | Cold Weather Package | Premium Sound Package | Active Steering | Rear seat entertainment | Premium Package | Rear Climate Package | Technology Package | Comfort Access | Multi-contour seats w/lumbar | 3rd row seat | iPod and USB adapter | Running boards | 20" 214(s)

05 S55 ......sold
05' 745 .....sold
01' 740 .....sold
05 Yukon GMC
Old 02-13-2013, 10:55 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 X5, 2012 MINI ALL4
Do you guys have any.suggestions for HID fog lights.
Old 02-13-2013, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott brown View Post
Thanks for this. hoping to put some PIAA yellow fogs in my 2012 diesel this weekend
One of those wierdos that thinks fog lights should be functional...
Old 02-13-2013, 01:17 PM

I had PIAA yellows for fogs on my Wrangler and it was ridiculous how well they actually worked.
Old 02-16-2013, 04:43 AM

Just put the PIAA yellows in. It really did take 15-20 minutes and would have taken about 5 minutes if I wasn't worried I'd break something when taking the grills off. The DEF tank really didn't get in the way at all

again, huge thanks for this thread
Old 02-16-2013, 01:08 PM

Did you remove the entire housing and replace, or just the bulbs?

Did you use a trim removal tool?

Jay
Old 02-16-2013, 04:48 PM

Just the bulbs. I did buy a larger trim removal tool yesterday but didn't have to use it. I was able to get by with just a small spudger tool like this:

http://www.ifixit.com/Tools/Spudger/IF145-002
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	362600  
Old 02-16-2013, 05:12 PM

Jay