Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-03-2012, 08:15 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Holden Wagon & Sedan
Fog Light Changing Procedures

Winter is close to being over so I went ahead and dusted off the fog light that's been sitting on my work bench to replace the passenger one that busted 500 miles after I took delivery

Pictures attached below, it was only about a 10-20 minute job, and with the DEF tank behind the passenger fog, I picked the worst one to break. Definitely a do it yourself job to save ~$100.

First picture is my broken light and the only tools I used. A thumb wheel, a T20 torx bit and a 1/4" bit driver extension.

1. Pull the lower side grill from the front bumper, reference picture two for tab locations if you need to slip something in there that won't gouge your bumper.

2. Disconnect wire from fog light (or just twist the whole bulb and pull out to get at wire connector.

3. Using thumb wheel and no extension unscrew the closest screw (I used a dental mirror to see what I was dealing with, but rest assured its a T20).

4. Add extension for the innermost screw as it is set deeper and there is space behind.

5. This was honestly the worst part, in order to get the housing out you have to squeeze it over the DEF tank and bring it out the far top left corner of the opening (driver side would be much better).

6. Reverse steps to install new housing. Don't forget to connect the wiring back up and align if need be

Third picture is the DEF secondary tank that is smack dab in the way.

Fourth picture shows how tight it is to the front bumper, I don't have huge hands, but I don't have little dainty hands either and I didn't have an issue squeezing my hands back there but getting the fog light out sucked.

Fifth picture is the part number for the splash gaurds / air deflectors. I thought I saw someone asking for this the other day but couldn't find the thread again, they are only held on by 2 screws and not necessary for this job but since I was down there

Jay
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tools.jpg
Views:	619
Size:	288.1 KB
ID:	314989   Click image for larger version

Name:	grill.jpg
Views:	688
Size:	285.3 KB
ID:	314990   Click image for larger version

Name:	defsecondary.jpg