Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E39 M5 (1998-2003)

E39 M5 (1998-2003)

Old 02-14-2012, 12:49 AM

Mein Auto: M5
How do I crank my engine without starting it?

Hi,

I have a E39 M5 I garage & don't use for the winter.It therefore is left unused for very long periods of time - usually about 5-6 months.
My question is; Does anyone know how I can crank the engine without starting it as all I want to do is circulate the oil before actually starting her up, thus minimising engine damage before the oil gets to all the internals.
In the old days it was simple. All we did was disconnect the main HT lead and the engine would not start. These days, things are not quite that simple.
Ads by Google
Old 02-14-2012, 01:30 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW 428i M-Coupe
Drop the engine out of the car and get a powered torque wrench and put it on the main belt wheel nut, and slowly power the wrench.

2014 BMW 428i ~~ Black Sapphire Metallic ~~ Black Dakota ~ Dark Burl Walnut ~~ M Sport Package w/ 18" 441M RF ~~ Manual Transmission ~~ Premium Package ~~ Heated Front Seats ~~ Navigation w/ Touchpad ~~ Auto High Beams

Previous Models:

2011 BMW Z4 30i
2009 BMW 328i E92
2005 BMW X3 2.5i

Old 02-14-2012, 01:55 AM

Drop the engine??

Drop the engine???
Wow!...Surely there's got to be a less invasive way, like disconnecting something electrical to stop her starting up....
Old 02-14-2012, 01:59 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW 428i M-Coupe
The engine is electrical. It can't turn or start without some form of electricity to get it turning unless its turned manually.

There may be a way that I don't know of, but the way I suggested is the only way I know of without using combustion.

2014 BMW 428i ~~ Black Sapphire Metallic ~~ Black Dakota ~ Dark Burl Walnut ~~ M Sport Package w/ 18" 441M RF ~~ Manual Transmission ~~ Premium Package ~~ Heated Front Seats ~~ Navigation w/ Touchpad ~~ Auto High Beams

Previous Models:

2011 BMW Z4 30i
2009 BMW 328i E92
2005 BMW X3 2.5i

Old 02-14-2012, 02:10 AM

Mein Auto: 1997 528i
You could disconnect the DME and crank all you want without the fear of actually starting. Could also disconnect the wire to the coils or to the injectors. I am not sure which of these options would be easier. There are probably other things as well, but I can't think of any off the top of my head. As for turning the engine with a wrench, you need not remove it to do that. IIRC a 22mm socket fits the crank without removing a thing.

I would have a really hard time leaving an M5 undriven for that long of a period

94 318I (Daughter's car), 96 740IL(current project), 97 528I(DD), 07 335I(Son's car)
Old 02-14-2012, 12:20 PM
Overly Intellectual

Mein Auto: 2002 M5, 1999 M Roadster
LOL @ dropping the engine.

Deny the engine spark or fuel, and it won't start. I'm guessing spark is the easier thing, though I don't have the service manual so I don't know for sure.

However, not sure why you think that turning the engine with the starter is any better than engaging it to 800rpm right away. You're talking 1 second of wear, and considering you didn't run the car for 5 months and cause 5 months of wear, I think 1 second of wear won't hurt the engine.
Old 02-14-2012, 12:32 PM
BMW Parts Guy

Mein Auto: e39/e38/austin healey/jag
start it... crack open the garage so we don't find you on the floor a couple hours later, and let it run. let it come up to temperature for a little while so that all the exhaust condensation evaporates/blows out... it's the best thing you can do for your car. the cold start damage is minimal as long as you don't start revving it from the second it fires off.
by spinning it over without spark you'll be introducing unburnt fuel to the plugs and cats, which will sit for however long you let your car sit the next time. unplugging stuff and disturbing electrical gizmos that don't get normal exercise is a recipe for a repair bill...
what a modern car needs more than anything, in the winter, is a full heat cycle every so often if it's to be parked through a long winter...
Old 02-14-2012, 02:20 PM

Mein Auto: 1997 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by John@SAtlBMW View Post
start it... crack open the garage so we don't find you on the floor a couple hours later, and let it run. let it come up to temperature for a little while so that all the exhaust condensation evaporates/blows out... it's the best thing you can do for your car. the cold start damage is minimal as long as you don't start revving it from the second it fires off.
by spinning it over without spark you'll be introducing unburnt fuel to the plugs and cats, which will sit for however long you let your car sit the next time. unplugging stuff and disturbing electrical gizmos that don't get normal exercise is a recipe for a repair bill...
what a modern car needs more than anything, in the winter, is a full heat cycle every so often if it's to be parked through a long winter...
Agree, I wouldn't bother trying to disconnect things to turn it over. Just fire it up and let it run unless it is in some sort of storage where this is just simply not an option.

94 318I (Daughter's car), 96 740IL(current project), 97 528I(DD), 07 335I(Son's car)
Old 02-15-2012, 12:09 AM

Ok, ok, I get it.....
Although I didn't mean that I was going to do it regularly; just the 1st start of the year in the Spring when she comes out to play.
Thanks for your advice guys.
All the best.
Old 03-01-2012, 12:19 PM

Mein Auto: 540i X5
You will do so much more damage by cranking it and not starting that its not even funny!!! By cranking via battery and not allowing it to start you will not be spinning it fast enough to build oil pressure, thus all the damage with out the oil......not a good idea. In the days of cars with distributors you just pull the distriburor put what looks like a long allen wrench down the hole and attach an electric drill, instant oil pressure with no cranking!!! Those days are gone, go start her once a month, you cant be that busy?
Old 03-04-2012, 08:56 PM

Mein Auto: Porsche, BMW
I assume the fuel pump has a fuse and/or relay. Pull it. it will crank but not start. However Project5 makes a good point. It's probably better to just start it and let the pressure build up. Years ago I knew a mechanical engineer that installed an aux oil pump with heater so he could circulate warm oil before cranking in the winter.
2013 BMW X3 35i Carbon Black M-Sport

Last edited by bimmernut1; 03-04-2012 at 09:06 PM.