Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 03-04-2012, 10:13 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 750i
Question How many bushings do our control arm has

What's up folks ... Iam having problem with a clunk when I step on the break ... I was reading , and all is pointing toward the control arm bushings , my question.... is there upper and lower control arm bushings . So that's a set of 8 bushings ....iam not sure if that's correct , if so do I need to change the all 4 arms or all the 8 bushings ...How do I know what to change?
Thanks in advance

Last edited by bmw74me; 03-04-2012 at 10:14 PM.
Advertisement
Old 03-05-2012, 01:17 AM

Mein Auto: 760 Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw74me View Post
What's up folks ... Iam having problem with a clunk when I step on the break ... I was reading , and all is pointing toward the control arm bushings , my question.... is there upper and lower control arm bushings . So that's a set of 8 bushings ....iam not sure if that's correct , if so do I need to change the all 4 arms or all the 8 bushings ...How do I know what to change?
Thanks in advance
Well, in all reality it appears that there are quite a number of different terminologies addressing to the control arm bushings. There are certain individuals that call 'em control arm bushings, others tension struts bushings or even thrust arm bushings. It is quite confusing but I'll hep you differentiate this.

Reference link below;

http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...24&hg=31&fg=05

1) The problem that usually cause the clunk/ jerk when stepping on the break is the actual worn out rubber bushings (Item #9).
2) The rubber bushings are contained inside the Tension strut (Item #8) which is also known as upper control arm.
3) Usually, you can just buy the rubber bushings by themselves and re-use your original Tension struts. But this requires the bushings to be shop pressed into the tension struts and the cost associated with this labor process is quite significant. That said, it is better to order the whole tension strut arm that already has the pre-installed rubber bushing and the positive thing about it is that you will be getting new ball joint end as well.
4) Then, there is the lower control arm also known as wishbone (item #14). This item doesn't wear out as much as the tension strut bushing.

In summary, you only have 2 rubber bushings that you need to worry about. Replacing the two tension struts (both left and right suspension) would solve your issues. But you can also replace the wishbone arms if you want to.

Hope this helps.

Old 03-05-2012, 12:37 PM

Mein Auto: 750i
Man thank u very much ... Great info to know .
Old 03-05-2012, 01:30 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to vsapra Send a message via Skype™ to vsapra
Mein Auto: 2006 760Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkathee View Post
But you can also replace the wishbone arms if you want to.

Hope this helps.
What are the symptoms that would necessitate replacing the wishbone arms?

Thanks,

V.
Old 03-05-2012, 02:19 PM

Mein Auto: '05 E66
Pkathee, any idea what else can create a clunk, I had my control arms replaced & I still have a clunk...it's not constant only at times when I brake in between softly & an immediate hard brake.

www.fquick.com/N62B44_SGM

2005 BMW 745Li E66 Sterling Grey Metallic / 35% Tint (windows) / 20% Tint (tails) / ACS Roof Spoiler / Interior & Exterior LED's / MTEC V3's / 6000K D2S /
DDM Tuning HID 6000K Fogs / BIMMERFEST license plate cover
Old 03-05-2012, 02:57 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 745i, 2001 740i
clunk

Could it be the infamous downshift clunk upon braking ?
I hear mine clunk from time to time and if I didn't already know what it
was it could be confused unless your clunk is immediate upon touching the brakes.
Old 03-05-2012, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsapra View Post
What are the symptoms that would necessitate replacing the wishbone arms?

Thanks,

V.
Depending on severity of the wishbone tear/ wear, you could experience anything from steering wheel misalignment whereby the car would pull to one side. Sometimes also shimmy/ vibration on the steering wheel. Just inspect the rubber portion of the wishbone arms (including the ball joints). If they appear worn out, replace 'em.

Old 03-05-2012, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N62B44 SGM View Post
Pkathee, any idea what else can create a clunk, I had my control arms replaced & I still have a clunk...it's not constant only at times when I brake in between softly & an immediate hard brake.
Well, there are a ton of suspension components on our 7's. If your clunk symptoms appear both during soft and hard braking, then I would believe that it has to do with a single or multiple suspension component failure.

Get the car up in the air. Then visually inspect for any evidence of worn out/ cracked rubber ends on all your front arms. Best way to do this is, get a hold of a brake cleaner (from any auto parts store) and spray that stuff generously on the arm rubber ends. If you have acces to an air hose, dry the area with it or just give it like 30 mins or so and the area would be dry. Benefit of cleaning out the area would be for possible elimination of dirt that could be mistaken for actual cracks on the rubber mounts. Anything that looks odd to you should catch your attention.

Hope this helps.