Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 02-29-2012, 05:36 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1998 528iA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albo View Post
Pioneer AVH-3200DVD. Ive got bluetooth and hd radio modules that i installed in the glovebox.
Why stop there? You should go all the way and get Nav and sat rad!!!!!!! You still have room in the glove box.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:37 AM
Der Ursprüngliche....Albo

Mein Auto: OO=[][]=OO
Quote:
Originally Posted by occhis View Post
Why stop there? You should go all the way and get Nav and sat rad!!!!!!! You still have room in the glove box.

It's all in the works....

2003 530i (Alpine White/Sand Beige) - 18x8.5 & 18x9.5 ACS Type II Wheels - BC Racing Coilovers - Eibach Sway Bars - Beastpower Sway Bar Brackets - M-Technic Replica Bumpers - Slimmbones CSL-Style Spltters - Magnaflow Muffler - Dinan CAI - TopSpeed Performance Strut Brace - Carbon Fiber Valve Cover Fascias - Zionsville Autosport Radiator/Fan Kit - Revmax Stage II Torque Converter - AMG Paddle Shifters
Old 02-29-2012, 09:56 AM

One more:

2003 530i (Alpine White/Sand Beige) - 18x8.5 & 18x9.5 ACS Type II Wheels - BC Racing Coilovers - Eibach Sway Bars - Beastpower Sway Bar Brackets - M-Technic Replica Bumpers - Slimmbones CSL-Style Spltters - Magnaflow Muffler - Dinan CAI - TopSpeed Performance Strut Brace - Carbon Fiber Valve Cover Fascias - Zionsville Autosport Radiator/Fan Kit - Revmax Stage II Torque Converter - AMG Paddle Shifters
Old 02-29-2012, 11:45 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 530iA
Quote:
I am very happy with the rebuilt DISA. Ive noticed a significant increase in low and mid range torque. Throttle response is much improved and smoother. I cannot stress enough the high level of quality in each piece included in the kit. I am glad i did not go ahead and buy a new DISA valve.

...ive done the DISA tango before, having had 3 M54 powered and 1 M52 powered cars. This kit is exactly the type of solution ive been looking for. I will be removing it in another 4,000 miles to inspect.
That's great. Good to gear it improved a bunch of things. I ordered mine a few days ago so I'm hoping mine will be shipping out today. Can't wait .
Old 03-01-2012, 08:56 AM

and another:

Old 03-04-2012, 03:36 AM

///M Oil Filler Cap installed:

Old 03-04-2012, 03:37 AM

///M Style Parking Brake Boot installed (shifter boot to be installed tomorrow):

Old 03-04-2012, 03:40 AM

Silver CF Trim Wrap installed....need to redo a couple of pieces, but overall not bad:

Last edited by Albo; 03-05-2012 at 09:09 AM.
Old 03-04-2012, 09:44 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 BMW e39
Quote:
Installed a Metra Axxess Steeringwheel interface. I can now control volume, track selection, phone/mute and source select from my M-Sport wheel again. Much easier to install than the PAC solution.

See here:

http://www.axxessinterface.com/

http://contentdocs.installernet.com/...duct/23230.pdf
So which one of them did you use I'm interested in seeing if this would work for my steering wheel

Sent from my LG-P925 using Bimmer App
Old 03-05-2012, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by e39munoz View Post
So which one of them did you use I'm interested in seeing if this would work for my steering wheel

Sent from my LG-P925 using Bimmer App
I used the Metra Axxess ASWC..

Old 03-05-2012, 09:14 AM

German Flag Design on the steering wheel:

Old 03-05-2012, 12:35 PM
YoungNStunnin

Mein Auto: 525I
Looking better and better. . . are you in So Cal? WIll you be going to M-fest?
Old 03-05-2012, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW05 View Post
Looking better and better. . . are you in So Cal? WIll you be going to M-fest?
Thanks for the compliments. Do you have details for "M-Fest", i'm not familiar with it.

Old 03-05-2012, 01:27 PM
YoungNStunnin

Mein Auto: 525I
It's a BMW car rally happening in April. I sent you a PM with a site link.
Old 03-05-2012, 06:08 PM

Mein Auto: 1998 540i 6-speed
I'm impressed with all of your mods so far. Once I fix a few more pressing problems with my E39 I'll be adding mods once again. Idk if it's just me, but modifying my car gives me such a feeling of satisfaction.

Straight-piped Dinan Free Flow Exhaust, M5 illuminated shifter and boot, black kidney grills, tinting on back windows, CCFL Angel Eyes, CDV delete, 15mm spaced
Old 03-05-2012, 06:29 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 530iA
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinanBimmer View Post
Idk if it's just me, but modifying my car gives me such a feeling of satisfaction.
You are not alone .
Old 03-05-2012, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinanBimmer View Post
I'm impressed with all of your mods so far. Once I fix a few more pressing problems with my E39 I'll be adding mods once again. Idk if it's just me, but modifying my car gives me such a feeling of satisfaction.
I'll amend that...i get satisfaction from modifications and maintaining the car. It feels good to get under and into the car and fix the things that need fixing. It doesnt hurt that i'm saving money on labor each time.

Motor & transmission mounts this weekend as well as the fuel filter. If i'm feeling frisky i'll do all four front control arms while i'm in there. I've had the parts waiting around for a month or so.

Last edited by Albo; 03-05-2012 at 10:41 PM.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:07 AM

A little time last night while I waited for dinner, so I installed new LED License Plate Lights:

Old 03-06-2012, 09:33 AM

Mein Auto: E39 hamster w/ pin-wheel
Quote:
Silver CF Trim Wrap installed....need to redo a couple of pieces, but overall not bad:
IMO, I think the stock charcoal grey graphite interior trim would look SOOOO much better IMO...

I think there might some pictures in this thread:
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...1793656&page=2

Beautiful car though...

How do you like the Eibach springs with the Biltsein Sports?
I have heard that combination was not so hot from others...

Thanks!
Jason

Last edited by Jason5driver; 03-06-2012 at 09:36 AM.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason5driver View Post
IMO, I think the stock charcoal grey graphite interior trim would look SOOOO much better IMO...

I think there might some pictures in this thread:
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...1793656&page=2

Beautiful car though...

How do you like the Eibach springs with the Biltsein Sports?
I have heard that combination was not so hot from others...

Thanks!
Jason

I think your right about the charcoal color for the trim. I'm going to order some up an work on it. Save the excess Silver for some other projects...maybe on my E90.

Eiback/Bilstien Sport Combo is love/hate. The handling aspects are fantastic, however the ride can be a bit jarring over uneven/rough pavement. I'd probably go with Koni's if had to do it again, but as most of my driving in on the highway, I think I'll survive.

When I hit the twisties...

Old 03-06-2012, 10:48 AM

Mein Auto: 540i
Quote:
A little time last night while I waited for dinner, so I installed new LED License Plate Lights:

Where did you ge the LED lights? and was it easy to install?
Old 03-06-2012, 10:53 AM

Mein Auto: E39 hamster w/ pin-wheel
Quote:
I think your right about the charcoal color for the trim. I'm going to order some up an work on it. Save the excess Silver for some other projects...maybe on my E90.

Eiback/Bilstien Sport Combo is love/hate. The handling aspects are fantastic, however the ride can be a bit jarring over uneven/rough pavement. I'd probably go with Koni's if had to do it again, but as most of my driving in on the highway, I think I'll survive.

When I hit the twisties...
Sounds like the Bilteins...

And, yes, the charcoal/graphite trim would be MUCH better than the cheap CF wrap IMO.
Or, just keep the OEM wood trim, which goes better with the beige interior IMO.
Old 03-06-2012, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docta Boom View Post
Where did you ge the LED lights? and was it easy to install?

http://www.bmwled.net/

Install is easy, though your old lights can be a little stubborn on the way out. Just slide the assembly to the right.

Here is an excellent DIY:

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e39...ight-bulb.html

Last edited by Albo; 03-06-2012 at 11:27 AM.
Old 03-06-2012, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason5driver View Post
Sounds like the Bilteins...

And, yes, the charcoal/graphite trim would be MUCH better than the cheap CF wrap IMO.
Or, just keep the OEM wood trim, which goes better with the beige interior IMO.
I think I'm over the wood. My car's getting dangerously close to a "Sport Sedan" rather than a "Luxury Sedan". I like the idea of a Sporty interior...beside, I need something that will compliment my aluminum pedals.

Old 03-06-2012, 11:52 AM

Mein Auto: 1998 540i 6-speed
Quote:
http://www.bmwled.net/

Install is easy, though your old lights can be a little stubborn on the way out. Just slide the assembly to the right.

Here is an excellent DIY:

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e39...ight-bulb.html
Woah, those are decently priced. Thanks for the link

Straight-piped Dinan Free Flow Exhaust, M5 illuminated shifter and boot, black kidney grills, tinting on back windows, CCFL Angel Eyes, CDV delete, 15mm spaced