Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 01-24-2012, 10:24 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 745LI
I am getting a code P0128 again

I have a 2004 BMW 745LI I am getting a code P0128 Coolant Temp Below Thermostat Regulating Temp on my scanner....

After replacing my thermostat my check engine light is coming back on yet again with the same fault code P0128 I use the thermostat from the dealer and I am a little lost on what to do next. Can anyone help with this problem?
Advertisement
Old 01-24-2012, 10:54 AM
Little Odessa

Mein Auto: bmw
Probably temp sensor acting
Old 01-24-2012, 12:09 PM

where can I find that?
Old 01-24-2012, 09:11 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2003 745i
It's built into the housing with the thermostat that you replaced already. Weird. Pretty unlikely that it's a faulty assembly, but I'd start with that. I had the same error and it was gone permanently after I replaced the unit. Here's some more info:

A code P0128 may mean that one or more of the following has happened:

Low engine coolant level
Leaking or stuck open thermostat
Faulty cooling fan (running too much)
Faulty coolant temperature (ECT) sensor
Faulty intake air temperature (IAT) sensor
Past experience indicates that the most likely solution is to replace the thermostat. However here are some suggestions on troubleshooting and repairing a P0128 OBD-II code:

Verify coolant strength & level
Verify proper cooling fan operation (check if it's running more than it should). Replace if necessary.
Verify proper engine coolant temperature (ECT) sensor operation, replace if necessary.
Verify proper intake air temperature (IAT) sensor operation, replace if necessary.
If the above items check out good, replace the thermostat

Last edited by roadfrog; 01-24-2012 at 09:23 PM.
Old 01-25-2012, 07:17 AM

Thanks a lot.... Im going to get to work on that this weekend
Old 03-06-2012, 10:53 AM

Mein Auto: 750Li
I am having the same issue with my 7. I recently replaced the temperature sensor because it was leaking. After I replaced the sensor I started the vehicle and the light went off briefly but came back on. Were is the air temperature sensor located also what is the process for checking the operation of the air temperature sensor and fans.
Old 03-06-2012, 12:11 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 760 Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by freddyb View Post
I am having the same issue with my 7. I recently replaced the temperature sensor because it was leaking. After I replaced the sensor I started the vehicle and the light went off briefly but came back on. Were is the air temperature sensor located also what is the process for checking the operation of the air temperature sensor and fans.
Freddy,
Just a FYI, next time you find out that your temperature sensor is leaking, no need to replace it. The leak is usually caused by a faulty O-ring gasket. It fails by deteriorating and becoming brittle over time and thus coolant start leaking.

That said, instead of spending a whole $50 on a new temperature sensor, you could have easily ordered a replacement O-ring for like $0.99. That should have fixed your leaking problem....I barely did that like a couple of months ago.