Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 03-07-2012, 02:53 AM

Mein Auto: 745i, Cayenne, 350z, LC
just reset my rear brakes and now comes up with replace rear brake message- Help

Hi
In trying to find the voltage monitor on the speedo as seen on a you tube video i reset the rear brakes by mistake. It now has a red car error and says replace the rear pads I have tried resetting it again but the error code wont shift ( the pads do appear to be low but there was no message before I reset them)

Any ideas if I can clear this code as the pads still have some life in them, also if i change the pads will this automatically sort itself out?

Thanks
Tim
Ads by Google
Old 03-07-2012, 05:05 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2004 BMW 745Li
Please read, I do not know if this will help. We replaced my rear brakes only at around 55,000 miles. The I-Drive was showing that I have about 6,000 miles left before I needed brakes. So I did not reset the computer. Drove home and pulled over. Reset the computer. Now I went from 6,000 to a -6,000. Way overdue. I drove for 5 minutes and pulled over again. Shut car off one more time and reset the computer, then I went from -6,000 to -20,000 overdue. Warning signals all over. Then arrived home. Reset one more time and now -30,000. I thought the car was going to blow up. So I jacked up the car, removed rear passenger wheel and replaced the brake sensor, crossed myself and reset the computer. It worked. Question: Did you replace the sensor. I think this the culprit. Try putting a new sensor in. Wire the sensor first. Then connect to the wheel (caliper) and then disconnect & connect. Reset the computer. Please make sure that car is completely shut off and powered down. It is a $26 item from bav auto. I have read posts that you can reset the computer if you are not ready for brakes. Not sure. I replaced me rear early and am suspecting my front (6,000) miles to go again will have a lot of wear left as the computer is off. I take it easy on the brakes but they are known to wear out early.

If you fix this problem, please post back so all the members know what happended. A lot of members fix a problem and never post how there problem was fixed.
Old 03-07-2012, 06:00 AM

Thanks for that i will try this.

Is there a way to reset warning lights in general? Can you reset brakes via idrive?
Old 03-07-2012, 07:15 AM
Account Under Review

Mein Auto: BMW 745i
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWTim View Post

Is there a way to reset warning lights in general? Can you reset brakes via idrive?
Nope, now you need new brake sensors and pads. The value can't be lower or the same. Also try this trick: buy new sensor connect it and reset computer, then connect your old one
Old 03-07-2012, 07:33 AM
Account Under Review

Mein Auto: BMW 745i
Quote:

Yep only new sensor will help or replace pads with sensor
Old 03-07-2012, 07:51 AM

Mein Auto: e66
you can reset the error code by doing somethings with the stalks,
something along the lines of hold the mileage reset while pressing start but with foot OFF the brake
hold for a few seconds .... there is a write up somewhere

if you mess you will get stung... the brake may have been near the 10% reset level....

you can reset most of the errors from the stalks, so long as they are condition based

don't panic
Old 03-07-2012, 08:09 AM

Did you replace the pads? If not, the pads need to be replaced and the sensor as well. Even if you have some brake pad left, still replace them. Do not go to the dealer as they will.... (you know the rest). Purchase your own pads and either do them yourself or find a back yard mechanic who will install them for a few dollars. I have a local guy for $60 labor. Not worth even bothering with them. That includes brakes and rotors. Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 03-07-2012, 08:31 AM

Thanks for all your advice. I will change pads but wont the old sensors still work? If not how come?
Old 03-07-2012, 08:49 AM

Mein Auto: '05 E66
The sensors have a metal tab I believe that wears as your pads do. So because the sensor will be worn, the car will think it's pads are worn therefore giving a replace message.

www.fquick.com/N62B44_SGM

2005 BMW 745Li E66 Sterling Grey Metallic / 35% Tint (windows) / 20% Tint (tails) / ACS Roof Spoiler / Interior & Exterior LED's / MTEC V3's / 6000K D2S /
DDM Tuning HID 6000K Fogs / BIMMERFEST license plate cover
Old 03-07-2012, 09:05 AM

Mein Auto: '03 745Li
Quote:

I don't get this. You said in your first post that you reset them. Yet your asking if you can reset them via the iDrive? The iDrive menu goes off of the hidden menu that I am assuming you used to reset the brakes in the first place?
Old 03-07-2012, 09:09 AM

Please read my post. I tried to reset the computer through the I-Drive. This should clear items up. You will need to change your sensor. You can try resetting it, but I do not think it will work. Have only done this once.
Old 03-07-2012, 09:13 AM

Mein Auto: '03 745Li
I guess I never ran into this problem since I've never replaced the pads w/o the sensor.