Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts

BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts
Do you own a diesel powered BMW? Maybe a 335d or a BMW x35d? Come and talk about what makes your car great!

Old 02-27-2012, 05:35 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 X5 35d
Question Diesel Analysis

Anyone know a relatively inexpensive place to send diesel for analysis? AMSOIL seems to be $114 a sample. Any cheaper alternatives?
Advertisement
Old 02-27-2012, 05:38 PM
diesel evangelist

Mein Auto: Volvo V70 + Volvo S80
What diesel fuel attributes are you interested in?
Old 02-27-2012, 05:48 PM
hang up and drive!

Mein Auto: 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust View Post
Anyone know a relatively inexpensive place to send diesel for analysis? AMSOIL seems to be $114 a sample. Any cheaper alternatives?
I used to be the fueling officer on a Navy Underway Replensihment/Ammo ship. We had a Huey (twin rotor) that traveled with us.

I had to personally sample and test every batch of fuel that went into that bird.

All I did was pour some into a clear glass container, swirl it, and verify there was no water or sediment. I had to do this in front of the pilots eyes before he would allow me to fill up his tank.

Never had a problem.

Alternatively your could try Lubriport in Louisiana: http://www.lubriport.com/contact_us.html

I also have a good friend at DNV Petroleum testing Services in Houston. If I asked perhaps they could do an analysis for me for free, but I'd have to have a good reason to be sending them a sample, like I suspected it was harmful to my engine.

2010 Black 335D Sport/Premium, Michelin PSS 235/265
2000 Silver Z3 3.0i (Ret)
1999 Silver R1200C (Ret)
1968 Black 1600 Coupe (Ret)
Old 02-28-2012, 02:28 PM

Mainly Cetane rating since no one lists around here, also there are 3 refinery's in my state so its possible that the diesel comes from different places...

Last edited by wanderlust; 02-28-2012 at 02:29 PM.
Old 02-28-2012, 02:36 PM
diesel evangelist

Mein Auto: Volvo V70 + Volvo S80
I'm not sure that would be worth much. I'd be more interested in lubricity than cetane.

Have you tried to contact the fuel distributors who move fuel from the terminal to the retail station?
Old 02-28-2012, 02:38 PM

Mein Auto: 435i, 335d sold.
Quote:
Mainly Cetane rating since no one lists around here, also there are 3 refinery's in my state so its possible that the diesel comes from different places...
Every shipment received at a station will be slightly different unless it specifically states the cetane on the pump.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d geek View Post
I'm not sure that would be worth much. I'd be more interested in lubricity than cetane.

Have you tried to contact the fuel distributors who move fuel from the terminal to the retail station?
I actually thought of emailing the refinery in my city and also the shell one at the gulf as I figure someone there would know. Im more looking for ballpark figures, I plan to add 1 oz of optilube summer blend to boost just lubricity. I have shell, chevron, texaco, bp, mapco and a pilot station as well as a local chain called kangaroo express.
Old 02-29-2012, 10:30 AM

@Flyingman youre a squid also, welcome aboard SHIPMATE!!

@wanderlust I never knew AMSOIL was charging for this service last time I used their service was because my 2000 Nissan crew cab had sludge in the motor and i was using AMSOIL, Nissan stated its was the AMSOIL issue, I sent a sample and they came back saying i had FAULTY sensor which NISSAN said it was incorrect, 6 mo later a recall on a sensor was sent to us i sold the truck after that. I stick to AMSOIL as of today, their CETANE BOOSTER is awesome
Old 02-29-2012, 10:41 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl View Post
Every shipment received at a station will be slightly different unless it specifically states the cetane on the pump.
While that is true there is a base number they will guarantee so it will be at least X amount. Many though will just say 42 which is not all that helpful of information.
Old 02-29-2012, 11:55 AM
hang up and drive!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axel61 View Post
@Flyingman youre a squid also, welcome aboard SHIPMATE!!

@wanderlust I never knew AMSOIL was charging for this service last time I used their service was because my 2000 Nissan crew cab had sludge in the motor and i was using AMSOIL, Nissan stated its was the AMSOIL issue, I sent a sample and they came back saying i had FAULTY sensor which NISSAN said it was incorrect, 6 mo later a recall on a sensor was sent to us i sold the truck after that. I stick to AMSOIL as of today, their CETANE BOOSTER is awesome
Actually, Snipe and I are Merchant Mariners.

2010 Black 335D Sport/Premium, Michelin PSS 235/265
2000 Silver Z3 3.0i (Ret)
1999 Silver R1200C (Ret)
1968 Black 1600 Coupe (Ret)
Old 02-29-2012, 02:18 PM

Mein Auto: 435i, 335d sold.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snipe656 View Post
While that is true there is a base number they will guarantee so it will be at least X amount. Many though will just say 42 which is not all that helpful of information.
or 40. Too bad we don't have euro quality fuel.
Old 03-08-2012, 10:49 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 525i 5-spd
Quote:
From Wikipedia - "Generally, diesel engines operate well with a CN from 40 to 55. Fuels with higher cetane number have shorter ignition delays, providing more time for the fuel combustion process to be completed. Hence, higher speed diesel engines operate more effectively with higher cetane number fuels. There is no performance or emission advantage when the CN is raised past approximately 55; after this point, the fuel's performance hits a plateau"

And: "In North America, most states adopt ASTM D975 as their diesel fuel standard and the minimum cetane number is set at 40, with typical values in the 42-45 range. Premium diesels may or may not have higher cetane, depending on the supplier. Premium diesel often use additives to improve CN and lubricity, detergents to clean the fuel injectors and minimize carbon deposits, water dispersants, and other additives depending on geographical and seasonal needs."

Therfore - fill up, leave additives behind, and drive the car. In 11 years of owning a Cummins diesel Ram, I have yet to ever add anything to the tank. Not needed.
  • Pre-Purchase Inspections by a qualifed BMW tech should be considered required PRIOR to purchase.
  • Service Records matter - a whole lot!
  • Plan to spend $2-3000+ in maintance & repairs the first year of ownership.
  • Plan on something unexpected to happen, more often than you are used to.