Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 01-07-2012, 12:05 AM
Mmmmmm…

Mein Auto: '13 Range Rover S/C
Quote:
Originally Posted by donce32 View Post
Got same issue yesterday. Dealer told me I should drive more often. Really?
I parked my X5 for 3 months and then drove it. Didn't have an issue with battery drain.

That sounds like the typical BS. Tell them you cannot drive more before the battery keeps dying on you and you have to get another person to jump start your car.
Old 01-07-2012, 12:32 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
Got same issue yesterday. Dealer told me I should drive more often. Really?
Really? How would we know? you were the one talking to the dealer.

In all seriousness, sometimes it seems people post jsut to complain and share...you give so little info, how can we help?

if you've read this thread you can see there are various ways to diagnose the charging syste...HAVE these been done to your car? Has the dealer downloaded your 'drive time/distance histogram', and that is what he has based the recommendation on?

More info will help
Old 01-07-2012, 12:53 PM

Mein Auto: X5M
I have a 2011 X5M. Have had a "severe battery drain" issue since the vehicle was new. Been back to the dealer four or five times already for the issue...and it's going back again shortly (I have an appointment on the calendar)...for the same issue...AGAIN. Dealer replaced batteries, sensors, battery cables. Dealer ran and re ran test after test. The last time it was in, the dealer had the car for almost two full weeks with a BMW national tech rep out to look at the car. The problem came back within two weeks. Since the last time the car was in, about 4000 miles ago, I've had the problem in excess of 30 times (that's when I stopped counting...I supposed I've chosen to ignore the warning lights for a while...I just didn't have the time to deal with this any more). I will be asking BMW to take the car back this time. I've about had enough. Quite frankly, other than this ridiculous problem...it seems to be a terrific vehicle. The problem is that I'm concerned about going anywhere far from civilization because of this problem. The car hasn't died on me yet...but I can only imagine that happening once I take my kids skiing for the weekend.

In reviewing my service records, it appears that, after performing "test plan" the testing showed "consumer loads too high". This was during the second visit to the deal at about 2000 miles. All other test performed to spec during that visit. Dealer replaced IBS sensor. This didn't work. In later visits to the dealer, battery cables and batteries were also replaced. All efforts to date have failed to solve the problem.

Any thoughts?
Old 01-07-2012, 09:34 PM

Mein Auto: X5
Hi Sethrad,
Ask them to check out the alternator. I got the error message twice and replace alternator 2 weeks ago, so far so good.
Old 01-07-2012, 09:49 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sethrad View Post
I have a 2011 X5M. Have had a "severe battery drain" issue since the vehicle was new. Been back to the dealer four or five times already for the issue...and it's going back again shortly (I have an appointment on the calendar)...for the same issue...AGAIN. Dealer replaced batteries, sensors, battery cables. Dealer ran and re ran test after test. The last time it was in, the dealer had the car for almost two full weeks with a BMW national tech rep out to look at the car. The problem came back within two weeks. Since the last time the car was in, about 4000 miles ago, I've had the problem in excess of 30 times (that's when I stopped counting...I supposed I've chosen to ignore the warning lights for a while...I just didn't have the time to deal with this any more). I will be asking BMW to take the car back this time. I've about had enough. Quite frankly, other than this ridiculous problem...it seems to be a terrific vehicle. The problem is that I'm concerned about going anywhere far from civilization because of this problem. The car hasn't died on me yet...but I can only imagine that happening once I take my kids skiing for the weekend.

In reviewing my service records, it appears that, after performing "test plan" the testing showed "consumer loads too high". This was during the second visit to the deal at about 2000 miles. All other test performed to spec during that visit. Dealer replaced IBS sensor. This didn't work. In later visits to the dealer, battery cables and batteries were also replaced. All efforts to date have failed to solve the problem.

Any thoughts?
Lemon it...you will get back 118,000/120.000 percent (98.3%) of your initial purchase price- plus tax, plus title/license fees. California? Yup.

If you are over 30 days, and can establish the car has a problem that began at mile 2000, this is how they will work it.

Order a 2012...if you start now with the lemon it will take abort 3 months

A
Old 01-14-2012, 10:31 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2008 x5 4.8
Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
Really? How would we know? you were the one talking to the dealer.

In all seriousness, sometimes it seems people post jsut to complain and share...you give so little info, how can we help?

if you've read this thread you can see there are various ways to diagnose the charging syste...HAVE these been done to your car? Has the dealer downloaded your 'drive time/distance histogram', and that is what he has based the recommendation on?

More info will help
Dealer had my car for over a week now. Car got towed in. They can't figure out what the issue is. It starts, all codes are clean. They called me yesterday and said they would have to "write a letter" to BMW to have their tech come and look at it since they've exhausted every option. Wouldn't give the car back to me, since they believe it is unsafe. Now what?
Old 01-14-2012, 05:45 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 X5 4.8i
Quote:
Dealer had my car for over a week now. Car got towed in. They can't figure out what the issue is. It starts, all codes are clean. They called me yesterday and said they would have to "write a letter" to BMW to have their tech come and look at it since they've exhausted every option. Wouldn't give the car back to me, since they believe it is unsafe. Now what?
It's your vehicle and they have no right to retain it regardless if they believe it safe or not.
Old 01-15-2012, 04:12 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

^^True. You can insist, and if I was the dealer I'd let you have the car ONLY after you sign a release. Kinda like dealing with nutjobs that check out of the hospital AMA (against medical advice)
Old 01-15-2012, 07:45 PM

Guys,
I have not heard anyone mentioned about checking the alternator. Mine replaced with new/same alternator for 3.5 weeks (battery replaced 4.5 weeks ago), and so far so good.
Old 01-15-2012, 08:05 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Looking at something else, I found this:

Quote:
The implementation of the Remote Door Unlock service is carried out via the (MOST)
WUP signal. The signal is used to wake up the vehicle. The (TCU) reacts to a call from the
provider, performed in the customer order. The (TCU) sends a signal via the (MOST)
WUP line to the Car Access System (CAS3). The (CAS3) then wakes up the vehicle.
Lots of things can lead to cars waking up and draining batteries without the owner doing anything....just saying...not that this IS the case, but these cars are NOT like the old days where you can disconnect stuff to track down parasitic drains...
Old 01-15-2012, 08:23 PM
Mmmmmm…

Mein Auto: '13 Range Rover S/C
Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
Looking at something else, I found this:

Lots of things can lead to cars waking up and draining batteries without the owner doing anything....just saying...not that this IS the case, but these cars are NOT like the old days where you can disconnect stuff to track down parasitic drains...
That would explain why I don't have any battery drain issues seeing I do not have BMW Assist.
Old 01-17-2012, 04:27 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 x5 4.8
So I picked up my car today since dealer couldn't find anything wrong. I made it 3 miles from the dealership and every light came on: transmission malfunction, 4x4, steering, abs, airbag and it died.
Had to tow it back - and finally they found a code - its alternator. Hopefully it'll be ok tomorrow.
Old 01-18-2012, 10:17 AM
SMW

Mein Auto: X5 4.8i well equipped
Went out of town for a month, came back and when started engine, a symbol of a car on a lift showed up on the dashboard between the two gauges. I went to Idrive Vehicle Info to see a message "High Battery Drain". I drive around for a little, thinking the battery needs to recharged after not being used for a month. After a few days message goes away. A week later, I am in the car waiting for a friend with the engine off, but music playing, all of the sudden windshield wipers turn on, every light starts to flicker, climate control goes dim, and car dies. Have it jump started, which required the AAA truck to run his engine for 10 minutes to provide enough juice to turn over the engine. Once X5 started, got several error message, self-leveling malfunction, sunroof anti-trap malfunction, 4X4 Malfunction, Check Engine Light, Headlight Lamp, and High Battery Drain. The messages go away and come back intermittently.
Old 01-18-2012, 12:02 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

....and so, your plan is?????

(I'll comment that, having replaced a nav computer following an E-glitch ($2600, under warranty) I WILL NOT screw around with voltage issues on a BMW. Once weird things start, I fix it.)
Old 01-18-2012, 07:12 PM
SMW

I don't know, any suggestions, I take it to BMW once a month as it is for them to fix things, I guess I could take it to them again and see what they say, but the laundry list of things to fix is long enough this time already. Sub-woofer blown, iPod hook up broken, CD changer broken, etc. Its still under warranty too.
Old 01-18-2012, 10:29 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Interestingly, the threshold for a lemon claim is fairly low in many states...but owners just cannot string together the effort to deal with it.
Old 01-19-2012, 07:58 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 X5 4.8i
Quote:
So I picked up my car today since dealer couldn't find anything wrong. I made it 3 miles from the dealership and every light came on: transmission malfunction, 4x4, steering, abs, airbag and it died.
Had to tow it back - and finally they found a code - its alternator. Hopefully it'll be ok tomorrow.
Dealers seem all too quick to reach a diagnosis of "Unfavorable driving conditions" and stop there.
Old 01-19-2012, 12:47 PM
SMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny5280 View Post
Dealers seem all too quick to reach a diagnosis of "Unfavorable driving conditions" and stop there.
They will do that, its annoying. Whats worse is trying to get them to take me serious for my issues, I'm 20 years old, so they treat me like sh*t and always end up taking my car for long joy rides and using 1/3 tank of fuel and come back with the explanation we can't find anything wrong, must be a one time occurrence.
Old 02-20-2012, 10:41 AM

Battery Drain X5

Since new, I have had 3 new batteries in my wife's X5, and have had it jumped or towed 4 times (miles 30k currently). I took it in for service today for the first time since the warranty expired, and they indicated the X5 computer is showing a high battery drain.

Servicing dealer claims it is because some components are staying on after car is switched off (which I have been telling them for 2 years). Additionally, the service advisor said that BMW's are notorious for batteries dying if you don't drive them (I first heard this idiocy 1 week after purchase, when I called the manufacturer and they told me the same thing).

The fix: $205 to reprogram/uppdate the "computer" so everything shuts off.

I hope this helps others (and fixes this X5).

Additionally, trim pieces are falling off the car inside and out, numerous rattles, and the fact that the brake pedal went to the floor on a 2000 mile trip, this has left me very sour on my BMW experience .
Old 02-20-2012, 11:02 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 X5, 2012 MINI ALL4
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbmwx View Post
The fix: $205 to reprogram/uppdate the "computer" so everything shuts off.
They would have done this s/w update long back to resolve this issue.
Old 02-20-2012, 06:20 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Agree. You should not pay for this issue as it was clearly identified and documented prior to the warranty expiring.
Old 02-20-2012, 06:41 PM
SMW

Yeah, call BMW North America, they will probably handle it if everything is documented that nothing was resolved while the car was under warranty, but the fix was simple and should have been done. Try the service advisor once more, but they might be rude unfortunately.
Old 03-08-2012, 11:10 AM

Mein Auto: x5 e70 Titan Silber
High battery drain

Was getting that warning intermittently as well. I have the Nav/Voice/Bluetooth everything x5. Would usually see it after a long drive with wipers/lights on.

Sometimes the alarm system would give me a reading of battery voltage interrupt and would activate flashers and the clown nose would flash like crazy.

Perhaps the alternator is not designed to give enough power to use all options all the time. Others have said it is the start-up sequences between trips.

A friend told me to turn the headlamp switch to "off' and to eject the dvds/cds before putting the x5 to bed every night... Haven't seen the High battery drain warning ever since. Never had to change the battery. Going on 120K miles now
Old 03-08-2012, 05:18 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 M3 DCT
there is a PUMA case which has lead to the creation of a SIB for High Battery Drain. Here is the thread which I started which has the detail of the fix.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=602562&highlight=
-- SOLD --
08 550i M-Sport
04 BMW 545I sport
07 BMW X5 4.8I sport
02 BMW X5 4.4i sport
01 BMW 540I M/sport
00 SL500
97 SL500
Old 10-03-2013, 05:50 PM

Wink X5 battery failures continue

It's astonishing how long threads like this about BMW battery failures have been going on and how broadly the problems seem to spread across BMW's product lines. Looks to me as if there's lots of scope here for a class action campaign; surely some of the "yuppie mobile" drivers affected are lawyers!

My own X5's initial battery worked for 3 years, before failing and leaving me stranded and requiring a tow. The second one lasted just over the 2 year warranty period (another tow and $500+ for a third battery), but this one has lasted only 13 months and resulted in the vehicle totally dying while I was driving in heavy traffic! The only warning was a cascade of alarms and warning lights over about two city blocks before the engine died with the car in gear.

I just got BMW's standard excuse (must be a company policy document or training session that teaches their Service Advisors what to say) that I need to drive more frequently and drive longer distances, even though I drive it almost every day and drove 7300+ miles in that 13 months. One quote was "750 miles per month is recommended to keep your battery properly charged", but I never heard anything like that from the Sales people or in the vehicle's manual.

In discussing my problem with a Sales rep while I was waiting to get my X5 back from Service, he said that the regenerative braking system now standard on newer X5 and other models "might" cure some of the battery issues with short trips in city traffic, and that the 2014 X5 "might" have two batteries rather than a single one. Real or just sales talk?

Al I know is that none of my family's other vehicles in the last 15 years, including 3 Mercedes, 2 Audi and 4 earlier BMW vehicles have had any battery failures!