Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 03-10-2012, 08:19 PM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: 2009 W906
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5seriesHB View Post
In order to have this option do I need to pay and enable the CONVIENCE BMW online pckge charge of $199
Or am I good with having the BMW apps and Iphone cradle?
I haven't bought the cradle yet!
Debating if its worth it. Basically just want go on the internet on the idrive, is this feasable ..facebook google etc?
Is the $ 199 online pckge charge worth it from anyone who has had it for a yr or more?
I believe this service (send to car) is available in the services paid by BMW for four years with every new bimmer.

- J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 04-23-2014, 05:14 PM
Retired, Independent Cons

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW 535I GT M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art234 View Post
As some of you may have noticed, Google Maps is a new version, and it appears they have removed the option to email locations anywhere, let alone choose a car to email to....

Am i missing a hidden menu or have they in fact deleted it? I sent a message to Google but have not received any response.

Happy Holidays!!!
There is NO way to send GOOGLE MAPS through the new Google Maps. However there is a way, where by you have to recall the OLD "Classic Google Maps" Here are the steps to help you until something is programed into the NEW Google Maps.

Here is the NEW MAPS.GOOGLE step-by-step on how to send Maps Google to your BMW. Yes!... you must be a member of BMW Assist to use
To send Google Maps directions to your vehicle, please following the steps as shown:

First open the link to https://www.google.com/maps/previewStep two "the Question Mark (?) in the bottom right-hand corner of the map." is the key to doing this.
step three. mouse tip onto ‘Return to Classic Google Maps’ from the menu that appears. DO NOT CHECK ANY BOXIES, but again click on Return to classic Google Maps.Step four. select and move your directions as you want them sent to your BMW. Enter the addresses point "A" to Point "B".
Step five mouse tap or Select ‘More'.
Step six mouse tip or Select ‘Send’ from the drop down menu.
Step Seven mouse tap or Select ‘Car’.

Final step, mouse tap or select your vehicle (BMW) and input your BMW Assist login information. Sorry I do not know how to take pictures of the steps to post for you.

You must be a member of BMW Assist to use this function and a yearly fee is charged. please contact BMW Assist via telephone at 1-888-333-6118 for security purposes. Once you dial, please select option six on the BMW Assist menu to reach an associate. They are available 24 hours a day to answer your inquiries. Hope this information is helpful to you as we return to Google Maps for directions.
Old 04-23-2014, 11:28 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BART
This also hasn't been working for past few days. When I click "Send" nothing happens, whereas I used to get "Message Sent Successfully" in the past.
Old 04-24-2014, 06:03 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 535i
It appears that there are problems with sending address through Google maps to some BMW's. Mine has not worked for the last two weeks (it did work before) and I have had four conversations with the BMW assist help desk, and they told me my car wasn't even reporting the software version to them and their software engineers are working on a solution. All four phones calls indicated that the problem was on their end and not my end. I also have a 2014 X3 and I can send address to that vehicle without any issues, but my 2014 535i stopped working for some reason two weeks ago. They indicated they would call me back when a resolution has been reached. I was referred to the Genius hotline, so we'll see where this goes.
Old 04-24-2014, 06:54 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 535ix 2008 E61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorboat411 View Post
This also hasn't been working for past few days. When I click "Send" nothing happens, whereas I used to get "Message Sent Successfully" in the past.
This is something that could be browser dependent. On my computer (MacPro), "send to" will not work out of Firefox (does the same thing you describe) but works fine out of Safari.
Other: '08 E61
Other: '14 MB E350 wagon
Past: Too many to list, but includes 3,5,7 & 8 series BMW, C, E and S MBenzes, an Alfa Romeo, an MGB, plus others.
Old 04-24-2014, 07:31 AM
Retired, Independent Cons

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW 535I GT M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorboat411 View Post
I am new here so, in reading your question about messages and the information posted about MAPS Google, there are two things happening here and very different. First let's address Messages to car. If your out of car and a message is sent to Iphone it will not show up in the car message center. Now if your in the car and driving as a new message arrives via SMS, you can open message via MENU, OFFICE and MESSAGE. The vehicle will read back to you the arrived TEXT MESSAGE.

Now for sending MAPS via Google to car. Open Maps. Google. This will work both as a Google member or not a Google member. Once the Google maps has opened LOOK DOWN TO THE LOWER RIGHT FOR A QUESTION MARK "?" click on the Question Mark and Old Google Maps Classic box will appear. DO NOT check any boxes, but on the bottom you will see the words "RETURN TO GOOGLE CLASSIC MAPS" click on them and the next box as well. Now with the Classic Google Maps on Screen create your directions. Noting pin drops as to starting and ending points "A" and "B' Feel free to change the direction to others roads shown on map as you would like to drive them. Now to the points you want to drive. Look at one of the PIN drops and click on one of the pins say for example "A" here a new box will pop-up, look in the lower right of the new box for the word "MORE' and click. Now click on the word SEND another new box will open. Click on the word CAR and complete the BMW Assist information you have on file with the Phone number and Email address. after selecting your BMW car. Click Send and it will tell you if it was successfully sent to car or not. Once inside your car click MENU, Office, MESSAGES and wait a few seconds for the new Map to arrive. Open and fellow as it will load once you activate the MAP inside your car with the road you selected. I like to make a short note in remarks, when on classic Google Maps like (NEW directions) this helps to me to know which map I am following. Will that is it and I hope this information has helped you.

Special NOTE :You must be a member of BMW Assist to use this function and a yearly fee is charged. please contact BMW Assist via telephone at 1-888-333-6118 for security purposes. Once you dial, please select option six on the BMW Assist menu to reach an associate. They are available 24 hours a day to answer your inquiries. Hope this information is helpful.

Last edited by HLH535I; 04-24-2014 at 07:39 AM.
Old 05-01-2014, 09:08 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 535Ix M Sport
I have a 2014 535.. used to work on Chrome and Fire Fox on Windows 7 no problems.. even using the new google maps.. the last two weeks, when I am logged into google it does not bring up my save email address to send to like it used to and also now it doesnt send at all.. I hit Send and it just sits there staring back at me like I am the idiot.

Any one else notice a shift in the last few weeks of this function not working? Any advice?

MODS So Far:
Color matched front reflectors
Piano Black Slats, Color Matched trim Front Grill

Previous Cars:
1989 Nissan Sentra
1992 Honda Civic Hatch
1992 Toyota Camry
2003 Acura TL Type S With Nav
Old 05-02-2014, 05:21 AM

For some reason, the "new" Google maps is not connecting with BMW cars. There are instructions in this post on how to get to "classic Google Maps" and at least you will get a response "sent to car". However as in my case, the addresses never gets to the BMW. I have had four conversations with them, and still no joy. My system did work for the first week or two and then quit sending even though I got a response that the car received the message. BMW has told me the problem is on their end and "probably" not my car. The strange thing is I have a new 2014 X3 too, and it receives the messages just fine. My 2014 535i doesn't receive the messages anymore. I think they have the same software in the NBT, but not sure. They are supposed to call me when a solution is found. So far,.....no phone call.

Last edited by Sonny184; 05-02-2014 at 05:25 AM.
Old 05-03-2014, 01:50 PM
Mr. Onyx

Mein Auto: 2012 5351
I don't know when it happened, but the new version of Google Maps now have "Send to Car" as an option now.
Old 05-03-2014, 02:10 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 535 x Drive
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny184 View Post
For some reason, the "new" Google maps is not connecting with BMW cars. There are instructions in this post on how to get to "classic Google Maps" and at least you will get a response "sent to car". However as in my case, the addresses never gets to the BMW. I have had four conversations with them, and still no joy. My system did work for the first week or two and then quit sending even though I got a response that the car received the message. BMW has told me the problem is on their end and "probably" not my car. The strange thing is I have a new 2014 X3 too, and it receives the messages just fine. My 2014 535i doesn't receive the messages anymore. I think they have the same software in the NBT, but not sure. They are supposed to call me when a solution is found. So far,.....no phone call.
It stopped working for me too until i called BMW Assist and had to register new 2014 after lease return of 2011. Didn't think i had to do anything, so now it works again. You have to call within i think 60-90 days.
Old 05-03-2014, 02:13 PM

Though I never received a phone call, mine started working again a few days ago. I am assuming that BMW made some sufficient changes to their software that corrected the problem.