Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 03-12-2012, 09:26 AM
Living a dream!

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
Coming Soon: Stitcher integration

http://www.engadget.com/2012/03/12/b...ands-on-video/

BMW announced today at SXSW that it's teaming up with Stitcher to integrate the popular iPhone app's on-demand streaming functionality into vehicles equipped with the BMW Apps and Mini Connected technologies. We ran into BMW's Robert Passaro in the halls of Austin's Convention Center and he was kind enough to give us an exclusive demo of Stitcher inside a lovely BMW 650i convertible ahead of today's launch.

Most the iPhone app's features are available using the vehicle's infotainment system, including the ability to search, provide feedback ("More Like This" and "Listeners Also Like"), and create / remove custom stations -- album art is even displayed in high-resolution alongside show information. Take a look at our gallery below, then watch us tune Stitcher into the Engadget Mobile Podcast right from the BMW's center console in our hands-on video after the break.
Advertisement
Old 03-12-2012, 09:42 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW X5 50i M Sport
When are they going to add email and SMS, if they can add calendar they can certainly add those 2

Last edited by nyranger74; 03-12-2012 at 10:19 AM.
Old 03-12-2012, 01:09 PM

Mein Auto: German
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyranger74 View Post
When are they going to add email and SMS, if they can add calendar they can certainly add those 2
Already have it. Apple blocks apps from reading email and SMS, which is why they can't do it

BMW needs to bring out Spotify
Old 03-12-2012, 02:37 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 650i xDrive
This is awesome. What I really liked from watching the video is that it sounds like they've created an apps platform and are pushing it. They even have an SDK (software development kit) that other companies can use to create apps for iDrive.

Hopefully more will be coming.

Old 03-12-2012, 06:41 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 E93 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012_535xi View Post
This is awesome. What I really liked from watching the video is that it sounds like they've created an apps platform and are pushing it. They even have an SDK (software development kit) that other companies can use to create apps for iDrive.

Hopefully more will be coming.
The awesome is starting to show its age.

BMW Apps thing has been in the works for a while now with the promise of third party apps for over a year. If they are just now pushing the SDk and platform good, but it has been a year since its debut on production vehicles. In order to promote the platform, they will need more evangelists and not assume developers will somehow flock to BMW. Two or three 3rd party apps a year is not going enlist much excitement.

The option cost was minimal, so I am being patient. I fear however that BMW may not have gotten developers excited about the platform, evidenced by the lack of apps once promised in PR videos like this one over a year ago. A "build it and they will come" plan will not fly today in a world of free apps, competing platforms for both phone and car, and a short consumer attention span.
Old 03-13-2012, 08:32 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 535i M Sport
My only issue with this is that Stitcher streams podcasts rather than downloading them to your device at your convenience over wifi for example. This results in higher data usage which is why I don't use it regularly, especially now with all the data caps and throttling. Hopefully another podcast app will be added in the future.

2012 535i M-Sport Space Gray Metallic manual transmission, technology package, PDC, top & side cameras, premium sound, BMW apps & cold weather package.