Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 12-23-2011, 09:46 PM
Automotive Monomaniac

Mein Auto: Schnelle Autos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunablue View Post
After 17,000 miles you're probably not imagining it. Keep us posted on the service department's diagnosis.
Off topic, but we have nearly identical X5s.

- Mike

'13 Audi Q5 2.0T Quattro 8AT
'86 Porsche 911 Turbo 4MT

Gone, but never forgotten... my E70 X5 35d, E90 335i, E46 330i, E36 328i, E70 X5 3.0si, E53 X5 3.0i.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Read my work as West Coast Editor for Autoblog!
Old 01-18-2012, 02:12 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 08 528i, 10 x5 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
+1 smelled exhaust in the cabin, SA found a leak in the part referenced above (exhaust cooler), and replaced the next day.

my2010, 11/2009 build, 34 k miles

Sent from my DROIDX using Bimmer
Old 01-19-2012, 10:32 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 35d
Mine was replaced too -last month, my X5d was purchased in 7/2010 -early build 2011 LCI?

See my thread in the diesel forum: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=590269
Old 01-19-2012, 03:57 PM
2010 X5 35d Blue/Saddle

Mein Auto: 2010 X5 35d
glad this was revived

may have seen my post earlier. i have a 2010 35d and sure enough, cracked AGR (exhaust cooler). Initially, when I brought it in, I printed this thread out for the service advisor. He then proceeded to mock me and basically laugh in my face saying these forums don't mean anything and that most people who quote them don't know what they're talking about. I assured him this was the issue, he said, "we'll see." Four hours later he called me to say I was right
Old 01-19-2012, 04:02 PM
Automotive Monomaniac

Mein Auto: Schnelle Autos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator Neil View Post
may have seen my post earlier. i have a 2010 35d and sure enough, cracked AGR (exhaust cooler). Initially, when I brought it in, I printed this thread out for the service advisor. He then proceeded to mock me and basically laugh in my face saying these forums don't mean anything and that most people who quote them don't know what they're talking about. I assured him this was the issue, he said, "we'll see." Four hours later he called me to say I was right
I guarantee people on these forums know more than the dealer service advisers. Guarantee.

- Mike

'13 Audi Q5 2.0T Quattro 8AT
'86 Porsche 911 Turbo 4MT

Gone, but never forgotten... my E70 X5 35d, E90 335i, E46 330i, E36 328i, E70 X5 3.0si, E53 X5 3.0i.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Read my work as West Coast Editor for Autoblog!
Old 01-19-2012, 06:46 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 X5 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by emission View Post
i guarantee people on these forums know more than the dealer service advisers. guarantee.

- mike
+1000
Old 03-14-2012, 04:43 PM

Mein Auto: X5 Diesel xDrive35d
My X5d - 2011 model, June 2010 build.

A few times, either under hard acceleration (3,500+ rpm) or first start for the day inside the garage, I got the diesel smell inside the cabin. Since it was a rare occurrence I thought I will address it at the next service visit. I did not experience this smell while driving on the highway.

Emailed my SA about this, he was super concerned about this as he felt this could impact safety - cabin getting flooded with foul air. Within 20 minutes of arriving at the dealership, his tech confirmed I had a cracked EGR cooler. Fortunately the Dealer had a spare on hand and the work was completed in a couple of hours. (Dealer - BMW Concord, California)

Attaching the service report for reference.

Separate topic - just learned we are entitled to one set of wiper blades (front and back) every 12 months under the BMW maintenance program . . . but you have to ask for it, it does not get replaced automatically.

My "charge air temp sensor" was replaced last May after it failed and tripped the check engine light. Now there is a bulletin out asking the techs to replace this sensor regardless of whether the sensor failed or not . . . mine got replaced again - yes with the exact same part.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW X5 Service Report 14MAR12 PARTIAL.jpg
Views:	347
Size:	141.0 KB
ID:	316638  
Old 03-15-2012, 08:04 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X5 35d loaded
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weston Bimmer View Post
The dealer called the other day and said it was a defective 'exhaust cooler' and that it had to come from Germany. I didn't even know that the diesel engine had an exhaust cooler!

At any rate, I'm away for a week and don't need the car, so hopefully they get the part and fix it by the time I return. We'll see...
I had the same problem with the EGR cooler - it was cracked... Replaced, problem gone.
Previous : 2010 335xi Monaco Blue/Black with just about every option...
Previous : 2008 X5 4.8i Space Gray/Black with just about every option...
Old 03-21-2012, 09:51 PM

Mein Auto: e36, e92, e70, e90
Just in case folks want a picture. My wife started smelling exhaust in the cabin on her 11'MY X535d. A quick check under the hood shows the high pressure EGR cooler assembly leaking. Bummer, time to take it in.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	egr leak.JPG
Views:	639
Size:	112.1 KB
ID:	317897  
Old 04-26-2012, 09:05 AM

Mein Auto: X5 35d
I bought a used 2010 35d this February. At startup or sitting at a traffic light I would get a strong odor in cabin. Finally took it to my dealer and they say it is ERG valve which is on order. We will see how this works out.
Pete
Old 04-26-2012, 09:20 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 35D /2011 M37X
Mine is being replaced today, is this a problematic part ?
Old 04-26-2012, 11:36 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW X5 35D
Had been ocasionally noticing the smell, so opened the cover to check the EGR valve. Looked clean, unliked in the picture.

However, on the passenger side of the engine, I noticed some burn marks, suggesting fumes could be escaping. See the picture from yikes98.

P.S. Also saw they spilled urea all over the engine bay after last DEF refill. Now have these white spots everywhere. Mad about it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	WP_000318.jpg
Views:	565
Size:	163.3 KB
ID:	322557  
Old 04-26-2012, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by serge1 View Post
. . . .

P.S. Also saw they spilled urea all over the engine bay after last DEF refill. Now have these white spots everywhere. Mad about it.
Happened to me . . . took it right back to the Dealer and got them to do an "engine spa" for me! Shop Foreman was very apologetic and agreed this should have never happened.
Old 05-01-2012, 05:46 AM

Had exhaust cooler replaced yesterday and smell is now gone. Now I wonder if the new part has been changed so the cracking does not occur again. Anybody know ?
Old 07-10-2012, 08:21 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5D
Quote:
Had been ocasionally noticing the smell, so opened the cover to check the EGR valve. Looked clean, unliked in the picture.

However, on the passenger side of the engine, I noticed some burn marks, suggesting fumes could be escaping. See the picture from yikes98.

I have noticed the same soot stains on my vehicle. I brought my X5 in for service complaining about an intermittent exhaust odor. I pointed out the soot deposit during the write up. The dealer replaced my air charge temp sensor and stated the soot deposits are normal. They printed the attached Service Bulletin as proof there was no issue. Stated they couldn't detect the exhaust smell.

I drove the vehicle another week and the smell was driving me crazy. Returned the vehicle to the dealer and they said it was still an no trouble found. After playing with the recirculate setting I found the smell was happening when the HVAC switched to the recirculate mode. Leaving the vehicle set in fresh air mode helped. I checked the interior filter and it looks new, no deposits.

I have since noticed the odor during lower speed driving (45-60 mph). I returned the vehicle to the dealer and demonstrated the smell. They downplayed the issue but agreed to try again. The X5 goes in again tomorrow for the third attempt.

This is my first BMW and so far I am not impressed. This vehicle has been in the dealership more times in 20,000 miles than any other car I have owned. I work for an automotive component supplier and know first hand what is like to deal with foreign customers, especially German. All the extra effort does not seem to translate into a better quality build.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	SI B11 04 09007.jpg
Views:	352
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	332418   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0086.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	262.8 KB
ID:	332419  
Old 07-10-2012, 08:35 PM

Rock472, I am fairly certain you have a cracked exhaust cooler - same issue as peteo. As soon as I mentioned the smell to my SA he immediately asked the tech to check for cracked exhaust cooler and sure enough that was the problem.

You need to dump your current dealer and try another one . . . your current one is simply blowing smoke . . . the SI you attached *does not* address your issue which is exhaust smell inside the cabin . . . *not* soot near the turbocharger!
Old 07-10-2012, 08:55 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 335D sport
exhaust in the cabin is not normal especially cancer causing diesel exhaust. i'm dealing witth the same issue and was hoping the recall campain would take care of it, but it hasnt
2008 Honda CBR 1000
2007 Harley Davidson Sportster XL 1200

Retired:
2010 Mercedes GL350 (in the shop too much)
2009 335D
2008 Audi A6 3.2 Quattro loaded
2005 BMW M3 Black compertition Pkg with Nav
Old 07-11-2012, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky472 View Post
I have noticed the same soot stains on my vehicle. I brought my X5 in for service complaining about an intermittent exhaust odor. I pointed out the soot deposit during the write up. The dealer replaced my air charge temp sensor and stated the soot deposits are normal. They printed the attached Service Bulletin as proof there was no issue. Stated they couldn't detect the exhaust smell.

I drove the vehicle another week and the smell was driving me crazy. Returned the vehicle to the dealer and they said it was still an no trouble found. After playing with the recirculate setting I found the smell was happening when the HVAC switched to the recirculate mode. Leaving the vehicle set in fresh air mode helped. I checked the interior filter and it looks new, no deposits.

I have since noticed the odor during lower speed driving (45-60 mph). I returned the vehicle to the dealer and demonstrated the smell. They downplayed the issue but agreed to try again. The X5 goes in again tomorrow for the third attempt.

This is my first BMW and so far I am not impressed. This vehicle has been in the dealership more times in 20,000 miles than any other car I have owned. I work for an automotive component supplier and know first hand what is like to deal with foreign customers, especially German. All the extra effort does not seem to translate into a better quality build.
A few entries prior to yours is one from YIKES98 that shows a picture of the exhaust cooler and the soot. Mine looked just like that prior to replacement. If yours looks anything like the picture then that is your problem. Try another dealer because yours is not doing the job.
Old 01-09-2013, 05:49 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 bmw x5 diesel
I have 10k miles on my 2011 x5 diesel and have the same issue of diesel smell in the cabin.
Recently they did update the software as part of recall. They changed the catalytic converter too.
But the smell issue is still there.
Going to take it back and will suggest the SA as per the forum recommended.
Let's see if they can fix it.
Thanks all.
Old 01-09-2013, 06:59 AM

Mein Auto: '11 X5 35d & 98 Cherokee
I cannot speak to the small diesels in our X's but large industrial diesels benefit from hard running occasionally to "clear" (so to speak) soot conglomeration in certain areas which also causes excessive heat build up where soot build up is extreme. Soot particularly likes sharp bends and large-to-small openings.

Fords EGR coolers were a poorly designed, stamped steel cooler with crimped flanges....they are destined to fail when purchased. Some of the high-performance shops carry a much better cooler.

Cummins and Detroit have both had extreme issues with coolers although these engines are designed and typically geared to minimize soot. Their death is normally attributed to excessive engine idling which, again, leads to excessive soot.

The DPF regeneration is also tough on ANY EGR system though due to the extreme temperatures. I do not know what temps ours reach on regen's but a typical Class 8 regen generates approximately 1200'F exhaust temps. (allow me to clarify...it's not the regen heat that is directly going through the EGR system but it gradually heats the exhaust stream flowing through the engine because of additional back pressure)

We have only had ours less that 1k miles but so far has been GREAT!

Thanks for the info on fumes and I will clue my wife in on your post....thanks!

Last edited by Fleetman; 01-09-2013 at 07:02 AM.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crohit View Post
I have 10k miles on my 2011 x5 diesel and have the same issue of diesel smell in the cabin.
Recently they did update the software as part of recall. They changed the catalytic converter too.
But the smell issue is still there.
Going to take it back and will suggest the SA as per the forum recommended.
Let's see if they can fix it.
Thanks all.
Any update?
Old 01-24-2013, 12:20 PM

Mein Auto: X5 35D
I think I have the same problem, going in on Monday for it.

| ZCW | ZPP | ZPS | ZRC | ZSP | ZTP | 322 | 2VA | 456 | 4AD | 4UB | 610 | 655 | 6FF | 6FL | Combox + CIC + LCI Headlight/Tailight retro |
Old 01-24-2013, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue dragon View Post
I think I have the same problem, going in on Monday for it.
I can smell it in the morning when the car is started first time. Unfortunately, it's a 1hr drive to the dealer. Going to have hard time replicating it there, and of course expecting smirks.
However, this new dealer (an hour away vs 15 min, my first dealer) has successfully taken care of door creak and buzz in door trim - unlike the dealer 15 min away who blamed it on window tint.
I had to record the buzz on my phone and play it back to forcem to remove the trim and inspect. Guess what - a loose screw was causing buzz sound that drove me crazy for months.

When I smelled the fumes, I did check the EGR valve, and it looked clean. Does it mean it's not leaking? Maybe. But maybe it's leaking and stays clean.

To prove I am not crazy, I even thought to buy a cheap battery powered CO detector and put it to the vent when starting vehicle in the morning - while videotaping of course.
But diesel does not produce a lot of CO (unlike petrol) - might not even get detected.
I could smell the diesel exhaust in the 2nd row vents a lot better than on drivers.

Will be interesting on Monday.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:36 PM

Quote:
When I smelled the fumes, I did check the EGR valve, and it looked clean. Does it mean it's not leaking? Maybe. But maybe it's leaking and stays clean
just popped the cover to check the EGR, and unlike a couple months ago, it's covered in soot.
Really hoping that's the culprit of the smell.

Also hoping the new part is better. I think there was a recall.

Quote:
To prove I am not crazy, I even thought to buy a cheap battery powered CO detector and put it to the vent when starting vehicle in the morning - while videotaping of course.
But diesel does not produce a lot of CO (unlike petrol) - might not even get detected.
I could smell the diesel exhaust in the 2nd row vents a lot better than on drivers.

Will be interesting on Monday.
Bought a battery operated CO detector. Needed one for home anyways.
Just for fun, placed it next to exhaust - no beep unless get really close or rev the motor.

Placed to exhaust of my other car (petrol) - goes off right away.

Shows how little CO is in diesel exhaust.
But that's just CO. Diesel has othe "good stuff".
Old 01-28-2013, 08:16 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 bmw x5 diesel
Finally, got the diesel smell inside cabin fixed. Dealer kept the vehicle for 2 full days.
Cause: High Pressure EGR Cooler issue. They also replaced microfilters, cleaned blower motor and air ducts.
They also found issues with coolant system, so drained and cleaned it.
No more smell of diesel in the cabin.
thanks