Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 03-13-2012, 07:38 PM
ADJUSTABLE BOOST

Mein Auto: '07 335i coupe
Question 335i, First Car, What to expect

Hi, I was just wondering what all of the E92 335i owners have to report about this car? I am really excited about my opportunity for this to be my first machine, and I had a few questions. What kind of mileage are you getting? How often did something large as in expensive break? I will be performing all of my work myself but i can't be spending thousands on parts. Also what is the deal with the oil coolers? If i have a 6spd manual, with a oil cooler, will I have any issues? I do plan to track the car when I turn 18 and what would you recommend in terms of performance upgrades beyond stiff suspension? What performance mods are less that 1k and good for everyday driving and having a little fun on the streets? I know this car is fast, but I drove a sl55 amg last month and it changed my perspective on speed. Also what is faster a E90 or a E92? Or are they relatively similar? Thank you for all the advise in advance!
Advertisement
Old 03-14-2012, 08:02 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 335Is
Whats faster e90 or e92?? The hits keep coming around here.
Old 03-14-2012, 08:58 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 335i
Your information is all over this forum if you search. It is easy.

To answer you question about things breaking.......Anything that breaks is expensive. Maintenance is expensive.

For example, if you need an water pump and thermostat (which seems to last around 60K miles) you can buy them for about $550 from Tischer or $750 from your local dealer, not including installation. Spark plugs require a special $45 socket and cost around $22 each. Run flat tires are around $300 each. It goes on and on. Overall, it is a reliable car though. And if you want to do a lot of maintenance yourself you should have a tool like barvarian technic for diagnostics and initializing new components like the battery believe it or not. The computer needs to know when you install a new one.

I have to ask though. You aren't 18 yet and you have this car and evidently test drove an AMG. Aren't your parents worried that you might kill yourself? Both are way too much car for an inexperienced driver. No offense, I am talking from the point of view of a father who remembers my first couple of years of driving.
Old 03-14-2012, 10:06 AM
Salz und Pfeffer

Mein Auto: 2014 F22 M235i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jburke4689 View Post

To answer you question about things breaking.......Anything that breaks is expensive. Maintenance is expensive.

For example, if you need an water pump and thermostat (which seems to last around 60K miles) you can buy them for about $550 from Tischer or $750 from your local dealer, not including installation. Spark plugs require a special $45 socket and cost around $22 each. Run flat tires are around $300 each. It goes on and on. Overall, it is a reliable car though. And if you want to do a lot of maintenance yourself you should have a tool like barvarian technic for diagnostics and initializing new components like the battery believe it or not. The computer needs to know when you install a new one.

I have to ask though. You aren't 18 yet and you have this car and evidently test drove an AMG. Aren't your parents worried that you might kill yourself? Both are way too much car for an inexperienced driver. No offense, I am talking from the point of view of a father who remembers my first couple of years of driving.
Judging by OP's dedication to resurrect a salvage E92 with his own hands I think he is well aware of the car potential, etc. Not to hi jack the thread or anything, but I find older people are more reckless when it comes to driving
Old 03-14-2012, 10:24 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 X5 4.8i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jburke4689 View Post

Here is some background on what the OP is doing:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...27&postcount=1
Old 03-14-2012, 10:33 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 335i
Sorry. I read both but didn't connect the two...
Old 03-14-2012, 10:37 AM
ADJUSTABLE BOOST

I just picked up a new OEM water pump from wold pac for 375. The spark plug socket is just a 12 point 14mm which you grind down the sides on making a 3 dollar tool and I got a set precision sports for 650 all 4. And I have driven lots of nice cars and my parents realize that I am responsible. I know my limits and they are way more concerned about the fact that I have my pilots licence. Cars are only as dangerous as you make them. And I may be slightly inexperienced but I've probably driven close to 15k miles this year. I'm new but I'll just take it easy till I get the feel of the car.

Sent from my WX435 using Bimmer App
Old 03-14-2012, 10:37 AM
ADJUSTABLE BOOST

Haha amen to that

Old 03-14-2012, 10:38 AM
ADJUSTABLE BOOST

Thank you for clarifying

Old 03-14-2012, 10:45 AM

Mein Auto: 325xi wagon
For maintenance

Google the Mike Miller maintenance schedule. google Mike Miller BMW
The turbo hardware and injectors seem to be a common thing that eventually needs
to be replaced or changed .

The most informative sourcre of e9x material
Is found in the following link.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16

Do you own a body shop?( I saw the picture how are you straightening that thing out.)

My Indy put redline D6 in my manual it smooths shifts out a lot.

Last edited by ctuna; 03-14-2012 at 10:49 AM.
Old 03-14-2012, 10:47 AM
ADJUSTABLE BOOST

Can do! Thanks for the link! And no I am only 16, I work at my dads shop. We don't really do body work but he let's me use a alignment rack on Sundays. This isn't the first one I've done, just the first one for myself.

Old 03-14-2012, 10:48 AM
ADJUSTABLE BOOST

Also using the alignment rack and hydraulic rams to straighten all the rail and what not.

Old 03-14-2012, 10:54 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubberismoney View Post
Hi, I was just wondering what all of the E92 335i owners have to report about this car? I am really excited about my opportunity for this to be my first machine, and I had a few questions. What kind of mileage are you getting? How often did something large as in expensive break? I will be performing all of my work myself but i can't be spending thousands on parts. Also what is the deal with the oil coolers? If i have a 6spd manual, with a oil cooler, will I have any issues? I do plan to track the car when I turn 18 and what would you recommend in terms of performance upgrades beyond stiff suspension? What performance mods are less that 1k and good for everyday driving and having a little fun on the streets? I know this car is fast, but I drove a sl55 amg last month and it changed my perspective on speed. Also what is faster a E90 or a E92? Or are they relatively similar? Thank you for all the advise in advance!
Mileage actually improves sufficient to pay for a JB4 over time, yet you enjoy the benefit! 21 mpg here.

Setting up for track use costs....expect $7500 in parts to really do the job. Saw the pic - you may have some cosmetics to fix, possibly mechanical. Hey, you're replacing parts anyway....keep us posted!

You might want to visit n54tech and e90post.

Name:  Mechanic.jpg
Views: 508
Size:  7.5 KB

Last edited by CALWATERBOY; 03-14-2012 at 11:05 AM.
Old 03-14-2012, 11:12 AM

Mein Auto: 325xi wagon
You will want to do the CDV valve delete.

You will want to do the CDV valve delete.
google it the retrofit part is only 25 bucks,
Can also be found in the other links.
Old 03-14-2012, 07:18 PM
ADJUSTABLE BOOST

Just wondering what's a cdv valve?

Old 03-14-2012, 07:18 PM
ADJUSTABLE BOOST

Diverted valve??

Old 03-14-2012, 07:52 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335i E90 (MT,Sport)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubberismoney View Post
Diverted valve??

Search these here forums for "clutch delay valve." Millions of posts about it.