Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 03-14-2012, 06:31 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via AIM to jdeday
Mein Auto: 2005 BMW X3 3.0
Sunroof repaired!

Hello all,

I had my sunroof repaired due to the rear glass panel stuck open in the vent position. My dealer fixed the problem by replacing the sunroof cassette, part number 54137184906. The dealer reused the glass and the shade. I have one question, I haven't noticed this with my old unit, to replicate the problem: performing the following:

1. Retract the sun shade all the way until it is parked
2. Open the front glass
3. Right before the glass parks itself (when the airfoil fully raises) the shade moves slightly and makes a clunk noise. (shade is still parked)

Can anyone else replicate the shade movement in the parked position and the clunk?

Thanks.

Jeff
2005 X3 3.0, Mystic Blue Metallic, Sand Beige Leather Interior, Birch Grain Light Wood Trim, Steptronic Transmission, Premium Package, Heated Seats, Privacy Glass, Satellite Radio Prep, Xenon Adaptive Headlights, Heated Steering Wheel, Premium Sound, Power Folding Mirrors and NAVIGATION RETROFIT

Last edited by jdeday; 03-14-2012 at 06:45 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 03-15-2012, 05:58 AM

Mein Auto: A Gamma Goat
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdeday View Post
Hello all,

I had my sunroof repaired due to the rear glass panel stuck open in the vent position. My dealer fixed the problem by replacing the sunroof cassette, part number 54137184906. The dealer reused the glass and the shade. I have one question, I haven't noticed this with my old unit, to replicate the problem: performing the following:

1. Retract the sun shade all the way until it is parked
2. Open the front glass
3. Right before the glass parks itself (when the airfoil fully raises) the shade moves slightly and makes a clunk noise. (shade is still parked)

Can anyone else replicate the shade movement in the parked position and the clunk?

Thanks.

Jeff
To be honest I've never noticed anything like this on mine.

The motor that operates the shade also operates the wind deflector. I can only assume there is some sort of "feedback" (for lack of a better word) when motor operates the wind deflector.
Old 03-15-2012, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usaret View Post

The motor that operates the shade also operates the wind deflector. I can only assume there is some sort of "feedback" (for lack of a better word) when motor operates the wind deflector.
Yes, I confirmed that it only happens when the wind deflector operates. I wonder if this is by design? I just never head the noise from the rear sunshade before.
2005 X3 3.0, Mystic Blue Metallic, Sand Beige Leather Interior, Birch Grain Light Wood Trim, Steptronic Transmission, Premium Package, Heated Seats, Privacy Glass, Satellite Radio Prep, Xenon Adaptive Headlights, Heated Steering Wheel, Premium Sound, Power Folding Mirrors and NAVIGATION RETROFIT
Old 03-15-2012, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Yes, I confirmed that it only happens when the wind deflector operates. I wonder if this is by design? I just never head the noise from the rear sunshade before.
Maybe something in the mechanism when it switches from sunshade to wind deflector? I would say that as long as it works I wouldn't worry too much about it.
Old 03-15-2012, 07:17 AM

Mein Auto: Z4 3.0i (sold the X3)
Just had mine replaced, due to accident, after the replacement it does not go to the 'comfort stop' it always opens all of the way. I have calibrated it, the dealer has done the same, it refuses.

I also have noticed that when just starting the car, if I have the roof vented, if I try to do anything for the first minute after starting it will close and then open again. Very odd.

Many say close it and not to use it, I cannot and will not do this, as it was one of the things that I must have. It was very nice to get a new cassette, but the way I got it I would have rather had paid for it myself or had it done under warranty.
Old 03-15-2012, 08:49 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
If it was repaired/replaced after an accident and you are not satisfied with the work done, then return the car to the place that did the work and tell them to make it right. Very simple solution. BTW, I am one of those that advocate closing the roof and not using it.
Old 03-17-2012, 01:21 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 X3 3.0i
I'm curious if the repair also fixed the annoying rattle that plagues that sunroof. I love the feature and love driving with it all the way open, but the rattle kills me! There doesn't seem to be a consensus on the exact cause or appropriate fix.
Old 03-17-2012, 01:29 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 X3
The dealer has a fix for the rattle, they put a piece of felt to keep the pieces from touching. I didn't need it done, but a friend did.
Old 03-17-2012, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyX3 View Post
I'm curious if the repair also fixed the annoying rattle that plagues that sunroof. I love the feature and love driving with it all the way open, but the rattle kills me! There doesn't seem to be a consensus on the exact cause or appropriate fix.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Rattle from Panoramic Roof when Fully Open.pdf (614.0 KB, 226 views)
Old 03-17-2012, 04:41 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 X3 3.0i
Quote:
Thanks for the service bulletin! Do you have first hand knowledge that this works? I'll be handling it myself since I'm way out of warranty.

Thanks, again!
Old 03-18-2012, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyX3 View Post
Thanks for the service bulletin! Do you have first hand knowledge that this works? I'll be handling it myself since I'm way out of warranty.

Thanks, again!
You're welcome. I've never had noise issues with my sunroof so I cannot comment as to how well this works.
Old 03-18-2012, 11:28 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X3 2009 AT
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakyDog View Post

Many say close it and not to use it, I cannot and will not do this, as it was one of the things that I must have. It was very nice to get a new cassette, but the way I got it I would have rather had paid for it myself or had it done under warranty.
Isn't it like $4-$5K to get that thing replaced?

I never use mine - except the inner shade to expose the glass - and it will remain that way.
I thought it was an option on the new model and the repair costs were the reason why.
Old 03-19-2012, 01:06 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 X3 3.0si
Quote:

Quote:
The "wind deflector" is not powered by anything. Simply spring/tension loaded and rises as the window frame slides back on the track. Same with lowering - the glass pushes down on the support arms as it slides forward, lowering the wind deflector.
Old 03-19-2012, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonoman707 View Post
The "wind deflector" is not powered by anything. Simply spring/tension loaded and rises as the window frame slides back on the track. Same with lowering - the glass pushes down on the support arms as it slides forward, lowering the wind deflector.
That's not how it works at all.

Start your car, open your sunroof far enough to raise the wind deflector, and then shut the car off. The glass stays right where it was and the deflector goes down. Turn the key back on and the deflector rises.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW Sunroof.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	148.3 KB
ID:	317462  
Old 03-22-2012, 02:01 PM

Mein Auto: Z4 3.0i (sold the X3)
With my reapair the part was $3200, not sure on the labor.

Steve
Old 03-24-2012, 08:39 PM

To followup with my post. I had returned the car to the dealer for two reasons:

1. The clunk noise when the sunshade was closed
2. The sunshade did not rest against the rear headliner (3/8" gap between the headliner and sunshade). The original sunshade (MY2005) is not compatible with the "redesigned" sunroof cassette.

The dealer had to order a new sunshade, this solved both the noise and the fit to the headliner. He informed me that the original sunshade is not compatible with the redesigned cassette.

The cost to replace the cassette was $2800 parts and labor.

The "redesigned" sunroof cassette solved all of the rattling issues I had with the original sunroof.

The "redesigned" sunroof cassette solved the buffeting noise that occurred when the sunroof was open (on my old sunroof to solve the buffeting noise I would lower the rear windows by 1/2")

Very please the dealer did an excellent job.

Jeff
Old 06-17-2012, 11:28 PM

Mein Auto: x3
so I had my sunroof repaired two years ago, after the repair the sunroof doesn't open all the way anymore. the front of the front pane stops at the front of the rear pane. wondering if you guys had the same situation. : \ it really sucks that i can't open it all the way like i used to

or i'm insane and was imagining it opening all the way before.....

Last edited by murderland; 06-17-2012 at 11:30 PM.
Old 06-18-2012, 06:49 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by murderland View Post
so I had my sunroof repaired two years ago, after the repair the sunroof doesn't open all the way anymore. the front of the front pane stops at the front of the rear pane. wondering if you guys had the same situation. : \ it really sucks that i can't open it all the way like i used to

or i'm insane and was imagining it opening all the way before.....
Yeah I think you might be losing it The front glass panel retracts to about 4 inches in front of the rear pane when you push the switch back all the way. You can retract it the remaining 4 inches so that it is in line with the rear panel if you hit the switch again. The first position is the "comfort position". This reduces the buffeting noise when the windows are rolled up.

I repaired my sunroof myself about a year ago by replacing the plastic coated metal tracks that everything rides on. The front tracks can be replaced without pulling the whole cassette out of the vehicle. The plastic on these tracks falls apart after being exposed to sun for a few years.... The result is plastic pieces jamming the mechanism and wreaking havoc. The only consolation was I lost the rear glass vent which I haven't noticed. Saved me BIG bucks.

Last edited by Frenchx3; 06-18-2012 at 06:53 AM.
Old 12-03-2012, 04:08 PM

Mein Auto: RAM DIESELS
Hello FrenchX3
U say u did the repair urself/ Congrats on all the $ u saved/ Can u say if the mechanisms on the 05 are similar to the 04 and what the cost of the cassette parts u replaced were ???/ And, what issues or problems did u run into with the repair/ Also what repair manual did u use to guide u thru the process/ TIA/ Warren