Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Motorsports, Racing & Track

Motorsports, Racing & Track
From Formula One to Auto-X, discuss everything related to going fast here...

Old 02-26-2012, 03:26 PM
Cogito Ergo Zoom

Mein Auto: 325iT
Formula 1 fans are laughing at NASCAR ...

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=...?id=1338939628
"I May Be Going To Hell In A Bucket But At Least I'm Enjoying The Ride"
Old 03-03-2012, 06:50 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E39 540i Sport
In Jonathan's post # 70 is Ferrari's trick nose slot which is at the very tip of the nose.

In latest issue of Race Engine Technology I was looking at a picture of the Ferrari car and its team from 2008, which at that time included Kimi. My point however is that the same slot that is shown in that 2008 Ferrari, is the same slot that is shown in Jonathan's 2012 Ferrari post .

If anyone wants to check it out the 2008 picture is on page 16 of the current (Feb 2012) issue of RET.

Dirrezas (4) @ 275/35-18, Eibach springs & bars, Bilstein Sports, Dinan Stage 2, slotted ATEs, Hi-Temp HTP pads, SS Lines, UUC-SS, White/Tan, Bling-free & Stealthy
Old 03-06-2012, 11:02 AM
Cogito Ergo Zoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by franka View Post
In Jonathan's post # 70 is Ferrari's trick nose slot which is at the very tip of the nose.

In latest issue of Race Engine Technology I was looking at a picture of the Ferrari car and its team from 2008, which at that time included Kimi. My point however is that the same slot that is shown in that 2008 Ferrari, is the same slot that is shown in Jonathan's 2012 Ferrari post .

If anyone wants to check it out the 2008 picture is on page 16 of the current (Feb 2012) issue of RET.
Looking at the Ferrari F12, there's no apparent slot in the nose. If they have one, I'm assuming it's somewhere under the nose, above the front wing. Maybe some trickiness going on there.

So I don't pay much attention to what team members say because I think they try to hide information, but after testing, the Ferrari looks maybe a bit questionable. Observers trackside were saying it would change characteristics noticeably over long runs. I hope it gets better for Australia.

Old 03-06-2012, 04:59 PM

Mein Auto: E65,03 cobra
I really hope the Ferrari isn't as bad as everyone is saying. It's a very radical car and a very deferent approach for Ferrari maybe they just did to unlock its true potential.

The nice thing to see is McLaren look like they've got it all together they've done plenty of laps and look quick. Track side reports say the car looks like its on rails. Also by far the prettiest car.

Now RBR is funny if someone ask me fri I'd say looks just as fast as McLaren, looks very reliable and with there testing record they will prob be .5 sec faster then everyone else. But after they brought there updated car I'd say looks unreliable and the times didn't really impress.

Merc looks great Might have jumped Ferrari IMO also wouldn't be surprised to see schumi on the podium this year. The midfield looks close and FIndia looks fasted plus have to really good drivers. But of coarse who know what can happen no one will know until the checkered flag the 18th. Hope we have a great year and not a blowout like the last.

Last edited by white75li; 03-06-2012 at 05:02 PM.
Old 03-06-2012, 07:37 PM
racer wannabe

Mein Auto: '12 X5,'08 535i, '03 325i
Lotus looked impressive on long runs as well, they may challenge Mercedes or even Ferrari.
Old 03-07-2012, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Crazy View Post
Lotus looked impressive on long runs as well, they may challenge Mercedes or even Ferrari.
Wow totally forgot about them lotus did look really good during testing and also have great drivers expect lotus to be up there.

So I guess Ferrari wasn't sandbagging reports of Ferrari changing there chassis and having to pass crash tests again. http://www.forumula1.com/2012/f1/f1-...t+-+F1+News%29
Old 03-09-2012, 12:37 PM

Mein Auto: E39 540i Sport
The different exhaust theories on the RB, McLaren, Sauber, Ferrari & Mercedes.

http://plus.autosport.com/premium/fe...cret-to-speed/

Dirrezas (4) @ 275/35-18, Eibach springs & bars, Bilstein Sports, Dinan Stage 2, slotted ATEs, Hi-Temp HTP pads, SS Lines, UUC-SS, White/Tan, Bling-free & Stealthy
Old 03-15-2012, 04:18 AM
Cogito Ergo Zoom

Can you feel it? F1 live tonight (early tomorrow morning).

I've been looking for the free love timing app, but it doesn't seem to be out this year. Anyone having any luck finding it?

Old 03-15-2012, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan2263 View Post
Can you feel it? F1 live tonight (early tomorrow morning).

I've been looking for the free love timing app, but it doesn't seem to be out this year. Anyone having any luck finding it?
Yes so ready for this season to start I can't wait to see these new cars on my tv. I don't know what's going on with the live timing app it was nice to have
Old 03-16-2012, 05:41 AM
Cogito Ergo Zoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by white75li View Post
Yes so ready for this season to start I can't wait to see these new cars on my tv. I don't know what's going on with the live timing app it was nice to have
After much investigation, I believe the good, free live timing was shut down by Bernie. Apparently, we've been taking food out of his children's mouths. F1live.com has become espnf1.com, and their "timing" is a joke. I paid the $28.99 for the official app. I just have to have it.

So after two sessions, I would say, not only have we not really learned anything, the winter testing times may also have been meaningless. Macca looked good in p1, but didn't bother in p2.
Where were the Lotus'? After looking so strong in testing they did nothing. Hardly any meaningful laps in p2.
RBR seem to be getting laps, running their program and not caring about setting times yet.
And Ferrari... Alonso's time in p2 was set on primes. He never ran on options and would have probably ended in p2 but slowed way down in sector 3 on his last lap ( probably to avoid a spinning Kobayashi). Were the Reds sandbagging in testing?
Looks like we'll still have to wait until qualifying to learn anything substantive.

Old 03-16-2012, 06:02 AM

Lotus had steering problems again so that kept them in the garage for most of the session. McLaren and Mercgp both looked really good. Ferrari is still tricky we will just have to wait and see the results on sun
Old 03-19-2012, 04:13 AM
Cogito Ergo Zoom

S. Domenicalli said Ferrari has identified their problem areas as being "the speed and traction." Well, at least they got the color right.
Right now, the best thing they have is Alonso. That man has dragged that car to results that very few others could.
Interesting race. Redbull and McLaren look pretty even and results in the opening few races could be largely decided in quali.
Hamilton looked very pouty on the podium. I think he's getting owned by his teammate. After a great first two years, he's certainly gone off the boil.

Old 03-19-2012, 08:10 AM
Awesome power!

Mein Auto: 2007 Alpin Weiss 335ci
Lovely first round, IMO. The McLaren camp should be happy campers. Hope we see some real competition this year after the BIG BORE of 2011.

2007 BMW 335ci, Alpin Weiss, saddle brown, SP, PP (tree trim), Step, hot seats. Mod free. As pictured: on SSR GT1s with Goodyear F1s. AKA "White Lightnin'"
2012 Mini Cooper Hardtop S in chili red with white mirrors, top and racing stripes. AKA "Big Red S."
Euro Delivery pics here: http://picasaweb.google.com/berford/GermanyAndSwitzerland2007?authkey=uGnlSSrqMTY
Old 03-19-2012, 12:54 PM
Cogito Ergo Zoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by berford View Post
Lovely first round, IMO. The McLaren camp should be happy campers. Hope we see some real competition this year after the BIG BORE of 2011.
All the McLaren camp except Hamilton, I'm sure.

It does look like we're in for some good ones this year. RBR will certainly not go down without a fight, and Lotus looks pretty good too.
It looks like the Mercs are qualifying wonders that eat their tires on a full load of fuel. I wonder if that has anything to do with their DRS/F-duct device? Maybe their losing so much downforce that the tires start sliding too much. Hmmm...
And I'm hoping Ferrari gets it together to challenge for some wins this year. We need as many teams as possible to fight.

Old 03-19-2012, 01:40 PM

Quote:
All the McLaren camp except Hamilton, I'm sure.

It does look like we're in for some good ones this year. RBR will certainly not go down without a fight, and Lotus looks pretty good too.
It looks like the Mercs are qualifying wonders that eat their tires on a full load of fuel. I wonder if that has anything to do with their DRS/F-duct device? Maybe their losing so much downforce that the tires start sliding too much. Hmmm...
And I'm hoping Ferrari gets it together to challenge for some wins this year. We need as many teams as possible to fight.
Hamilton did not look happy during the press conference.

I think Ferrari should be up there soon I'm hoping that's not the full potential of the car. They are the only ones who did a complete redo of the car I'm thinking Mclaren and RBR are closer to the full potential of the car and Ferrari are not even close. But It could be just wishful thinking.
Old 03-19-2012, 04:33 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 528i Sedan
Quote:
After much investigation, I believe the good, free live timing was shut down by Bernie. Apparently, we've been taking food out of his children's mouths. F1live.com has become espnf1.com, and their "timing" is a joke. I paid the $28.99 for the official app. I just have to have it.
I also downloaded the app to my iPad. I actually think its much improved over the 2011 version. I like the split screen between the timing data and the course map, and especially the ability to d/l the qualifying and race data after the fact. Together with my DVR, it's like I'm watching live without having to get up at two in the morning. Since you can pause either one, it's easy to keep them in sync.

Last year, when it was live, the few second delay on Speed always bothered me.

The big downside is the cost ... From free to $28.99 is a true Bernie - esque move.

2006 325xi / Sparkling Graphite / Terra / Walnut/ Steptronic /Premium Package - Nav / Xenons || iPod Adapter | Blacklines (retired 5-1-2014)
Old 03-19-2012, 06:39 PM
Cogito Ergo Zoom

At first sight, $28.99 seems like a lot for an app. I almost never download any pay apps. But then again, I am an obsessed F1 fan, the app adds more info to the races, and after all, in a season with 20 races, it's only $1.45 per race. Not so bad after all.

Old 03-23-2012, 09:49 AM
Awesome power!

Mein Auto: 2007 Alpin Weiss 335ci
WOW, after Australia and the first two practice sessiona of Malaysia, it sure looks like McLaren has it all together.

2007 BMW 335ci, Alpin Weiss, saddle brown, SP, PP (tree trim), Step, hot seats. Mod free. As pictured: on SSR GT1s with Goodyear F1s. AKA "White Lightnin'"
2012 Mini Cooper Hardtop S in chili red with white mirrors, top and racing stripes. AKA "Big Red S."
Euro Delivery pics here: http://picasaweb.google.com/berford/GermanyAndSwitzerland2007?authkey=uGnlSSrqMTY
Old 03-23-2012, 12:43 PM
Cogito Ergo Zoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by berford View Post
WOW, after Australia and the first two practice sessiona of Malaysia, it sure looks like McLaren has it all together.

Yeah they do. And Redbull seems to be struggling for grip. So far, this looks like it could be an intriguing year.

Merc looks fast in qualifying trim, but they're eating their tires. I bet Alonso beats them both in the race just because, if it doesn't rain, he'll stop one less time than them.

Too bad about Kimi taking a grid penalty, but then again, it should be fun to watch him charge through the field.

I'm predicting that Perez steps into the #2 seat at Ferrari after the summer break...

Old 03-24-2012, 01:47 PM
racer wannabe

Very exciting qualifying, especially compared to last years snooze fest. I can't help it to cheer for Schumi, at 43 he's top 3 in qualifying, wow. Also very happy for Kimi, he's a breeze of fresh air this year. Having said that, go Jenson!

I feel sorry for Alonso, he deserves a better car.
Old 03-25-2012, 04:41 AM
Cogito Ergo Zoom

That was a flawless drive by the master. Like him or not, you just can't deny Alonso's skills. Dragging what is realistically only the 9th or 10th fastest car on the grid up to a win is incredible. And for the first time in years, the team worked flawlessly, made all the right calls, and certainly looked to be firing on all cylinders.

But Massa, well, what can you say ?

Perez had an amazing drive too. If it wasn't for his one slip, he had the faster car and looked to have every chance to take the win. I'm sure he'll be the next Ferrari driver, if not this year, then certainly next.

Hearing the confusion over Vettel's radio at the end was priceless. I know there's three weeks to China, and time to fix things, but RBR certainly looks to have lost their edge.

And why can't Ham convert poles to wins? He's got the car, but a couple more races like the last two and we'll be seeing mopey boy again.

Nine different teams in the top ten, a Sauber driver on the podium, an unlikely win, Alonso leading the championship and RBR on the back foot... Looks to be a vintage year.

Old 03-25-2012, 11:36 AM
racer wannabe

Yeah, after the departure of Kubica, Alonso is lonely on top. They are the only 2 drivers capable of driving the car 0.5 s beyond the car's limit on any given day but give Kimi a few more races and he'll be there as well.
Old 03-25-2012, 12:24 PM
Banned

Mein Auto:
Quote:
I'm predicting that Perez steps into the #2 seat at Ferrari after the summer break...
Lmao. Are you completely out to lunch? Again? Still? Right, you are from New Jersey...

Why would Perez want to drive a slower car than what he already has? And for a team (SF) that is totally upside down?

Massa will be replaced by Trulli.

Good grief son, even El Banco said that today's result doesn't change the fact that their car is a turd. This was a fluke win. Hell, even Williams is faster.

They (SF) already have hit the panic button. A completely new car will be ready by Bahrain. Meh.

Go Reds... Lol. And bite me twat.
Old 03-25-2012, 04:33 PM
racer wannabe

Hey Patrick, how do you like Kimi's return so far?
Old 03-26-2012, 05:42 AM

Mein Auto: '11 1M;'08 MCS;'02 325iT
No matter what, that was an exciting race! I love that there's no clear dominant force this year. (yet?)