Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 03-16-2012, 07:08 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 535xi,328xiC
ASS doesn't work!!! Don't care.

I summarised my Porsche C4S this morning and took it for a brief ride which was great. Tonight I had an opportunity to wind out the 535 for the first time. This is a wonderful car for such a big frame and after this mornings drive in my Porsche, puts it all in perspective. In Sports Plus Mode ASS doesn't engage. But the speed of the paddle shifts and the absolutely wonderful wind out of the engine, coupled with precise steering response and minimal body roll reinforces BMW's dedication to making the "drivers car". Forget the "easy to steer" misunderstanding of the car's characteristics. This is one hell of a capable big sedan. It's not a Porsche. But it is quite impressive. From 0-50 km/h this thing roars. And the steering is very, very precise. Haven driven the 550 only briefly, I can recall what it does in the top end of the speed range which is outstanding. But no matter. These are very, very good cars. The seat-of-the-pants impressions are often the most meaningful. Regardless of the posted horsepower, this is a very capable engine and chassis. Sure there are some tire issues (still haven't experienced any problems myself), but the F10 is a one heck of a car.

Last edited by PeterC4; 03-16-2012 at 07:23 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 03-16-2012, 07:36 PM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
I'd ask it, but then I'd just be opening myself up to some bad jokes.....

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 03-16-2012, 07:41 PM
2 Bimmers R better than 1

Mein Auto: 12 MSPT 535 & MSPT X5 5.0
PeterC4: I agree totally!

I Just came back a few hours ago from an excilerating ride to la with my Mom and wife in the car
They actually were grinning the entire time.
My wife was lounging like jacky O in the back on her phone and my 75 year young moms right hand was gripped to the door most of the time
I kept asking is every one ok? as i bobbed and weave in and out of the HOV lane...of course using signals and staying withing autobahn speedlimits!

Drove mostly in Manual with sport suspension...did not go over 4500rpm as recommended and was able to click through the gears crisply! Thank u AMG driving academy 2011

Amazingly when we pulled up to that "villa blanca" the restaurant from BH housewives"moms wish" . i snapped a pic of the fuel economy...pretty impressice.
There and back to Orange county ca was less than 1/4 tank
Car is definately the ultimate driving machine.
Honestly the way the v6 twin turbos wind thought the gears is exhilarating... so diffferent than my v8. Its a real drivers car! You feel everything through the M steering wheel!

Gotta go, writing this email ... makes me feel like jumping in the car which is exactly what im going to do before the rain cames...
Gonna throw this bad boy on!
peace
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-03-16_11-29-52_780.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	316979   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0113.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	316980  

2012 Msport X5 +Prem Sound+Cold Weather+Top/Side Cameras+Soft Close Doors+BMW Apps
Old 03-16-2012, 07:54 PM

Mein Auto: 2015 F80 M3
Love that graph showing that Sport+ gives better mpg than Eco Pro. Keep`em in Sport+ gentlemen to save the environment.
Old 03-16-2012, 07:57 PM
The Driver

Mein Auto: 2014 M5
Interesting screenshot. I have never seen that efficient dynamics histogram. Do they have it on the 550i (obviously without Eco pro)?

2014 ///M5 Individual
Frozen Grey, Silverstone Full Merino, Piano Black, Exec Pkg, Drivers assistance pkg, LED Package, Bang and Olufsen, 20" Forged wheels

Last edited by Stealth.Pilot; 03-16-2012 at 08:02 PM.
Old 03-17-2012, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5seriesHB View Post
Honestly the way the v6 twin turbos wind thought the gears is exhilarating.:
You do realize it's an inline six with a single turbo, right?

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 03-17-2012, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
You do realize it's an inline six with a single turbo, right?
I guess not!
its all good....I know I love it though.
thanks for the heads up
Njoy Njoy this Saturday

2012 Msport X5 +Prem Sound+Cold Weather+Top/Side Cameras+Soft Close Doors+BMW Apps
Old 03-17-2012, 08:20 AM

Still waiting on an explanation for the mysterious acronym.

Old 03-17-2012, 08:40 AM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Mein Auto: '13 X5M, 650xi
The F10 is at its best when pushed hard. My ASS is fully engaged when I'm driving near the limits - it's usually in the puckered mode.

2013 X5M ........ 2013 650xi ...... 2011 550xi (ret) 2011 335d (ret)
Old 03-17-2012, 08:42 AM

Mein Auto: Space Grey 550i M Sport
Interesting post. We have similiar taste in cars and I'm also thinking when my 550i arrives that it will be a nice compliment to my RS 3.8.

Enjoy!
Old 03-17-2012, 08:45 AM

Form my drives of the 550 it is a beast of an engine, great power.
Old 03-17-2012, 08:54 AM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Mein Auto: '13 X5M, 650xi
Quote:

Adaptive Sport Suspension. The orifice within the dampers has three positions: wide-open, normal, and puckered. Apparently in Sport+ the orifice is doing something it wasn't meant to do.

2013 X5M ........ 2013 650xi ...... 2011 550xi (ret) 2011 335d (ret)
Old 03-17-2012, 09:03 AM

Quote:
In sports + mode Auto Stop Start is disabled. The acronym is ASS, I guess we should use A.S.S, make it seem more...official.
Old 03-17-2012, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunderhi View Post
adaptive sport suspension. The orifice within the dampers has three positions: Wide-open, normal, and puckered. Apparently in sport+ the orifice is doing something it wasn't meant to do.
lol
Old 03-17-2012, 09:15 AM

Its going to take me a bit to get used to not having a v8 punch!
But the day to day driving im buoying the 6a so far plus insane gas mileage on the highway!
I still have a fx45 that growl when pushed and one of the nicest exhaust sounds I've ever heard on a crossover vehicle.
next car will have self closing doors window shades and a v8 or v10
Oops that might be an Audi....smiles

Old 03-17-2012, 09:37 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 535i
I guess there is good ASS and crappy ASS. Good ASS = Adaptive Sport Suspension - Crappy ASS = Auto Start Stop. When I read the headline of the post said "ASS doesn't work!!!", I figured the op was referring to the latter...

2012 535i
Space Gray / Black Dakota / Anthracite
Premium - Premium Sound - Tech - Cameras - Active Cruise
Old 03-17-2012, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsmith999 View Post
I guess there is good ASS and crappy ASS. Good ASS = Adaptive Sport Suspension - Crappy ASS = Auto Start Stop. When I read the headline of the post said "ASS doesn't work!!!", I figured the op was referring to the latter...
The good ASS was working just fine.
Old 03-18-2012, 07:16 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 550i xDrive
I took my 550i xDrive for a drive in the country yesterday. I don't even have my summer tires on yet. I have the performance Bridgestone Blizzak LM-25 RFT snow tires on all four wheels. (I use Potenzas in the summer.) Man, does this car handle and perform. The steering is precise and the feedback, even if not as great as on my E39 M5, is more than adequate to drive the car as hard and as fast as I dare. Even if the feedback is not as great, the precesion is even better.

My wife was in the car. The windows and sunroof were open. The 16 speaker radio was blasting. The sun was shinning. Afterwards my wife commented to me: "That car just does exactly what you want it to do when you want to do it. That's what BMWs are about." (Although, I noticed I did scare her a few times.)

The F10 when properly equipped with DDC (or ASS), ARS, paddle shifters, (and IAS if available ie RWD) are true sports sedans. I don't car what anyone says the F10 is better than the E39 or the E60, and I have owned two E39s and one 650i (same as an E60). Of course, if you want something that is more of a sports car get a Porsche, no one is arguing about that.
550i xDrive/ImperialBlue/Beige/anthracite/DHP/sport/vent seats/convience/cold weather/driver assistance/prem 2/sport trans/fold down rears/4 zone/ACC/HUD/cameras/night vision/ipod and smart integration.

Last edited by richschneid; 03-18-2012 at 12:25 PM.
Old 03-18-2012, 10:02 AM

Mein Auto: 12 BMW 535I MS Alpine Wht
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth.Pilot View Post
Interesting screenshot. I have never seen that efficient dynamics histogram. Do they have it on the 550i (obviously without Eco pro)?
Yes. Go to the main menu and open up "Vehicle Info" then go to the bottom of the list and open up "Efficient Dynamics". You can look at several time frame for the graft.

Mods - Quad Exhaust Tips, HID Fog Lights, Clear Front Reflectors, M5 Spoiler, Calipers Painted Black, 12.5 mm Rear Wheel Spacers, Tint - 5% Rear, 35% Front & 50% Windshield - BlackVue DR500GW Dash Cam, Blendmount for Valentine One

Coding by tuesday (aka; itschase) (Chase)