Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Car Navigation, Audio & Electronics sponsored by BimmerTech

Car Navigation, Audio & Electronics sponsored by BimmerTech
BMW navigation, audio upgrades, XM Radio, Sirius, Bluetooth, and Radar Detector discussions here!

Sponsored by BimmerTech

Old 05-02-2009, 09:48 AM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Printable instructions for operating the DICE Silverline iPod adapter (in a BMW E39)

The DICE Silverline iPod adapter is a bit non-intuitive to use and by some accounts, does not come with sufficient user instructions for use in the E39...

This is an attempt to create a dedicated thread to improve these single-sheet printable instructions that we keep tucked away in our passenger's sun visor.

This is the third revision (improving upon the first and second revs) so we can more easily update the use-model instructions as needed.

Please add other desired tasks as needed.

DISPLAY:
(6)(>CD-04)(1) Displays song information on the MID
(6)(>CD-03)(1) Displays song information on the Cluster

INPUT:
(5)(>CD-01)(1) Sets the input source to iPod
(5)(>CD-02)(1) Sets the input source to Aux

SONG: Set the Dice Silverline to Song mode
(6)(1)(>) Scroll thru the songs until you find the one you want
(1) Lock in the desired song and remap the arrow button to ...
(>) Scroll thru the thousands of songs on your iPod touch

PLAYLIST: Set the Dice Silverline to Playlist mode
(6)(2)(>) Scroll thru the playlists until you find the one you want
(1) Lock in the desired playlist and remap the arrow button to ...
(>) Scroll thru the songs within that selected playlist

ARTIST: Set the Dice Silverline to Artist mode
(6)(3)(>) Scroll thru the artists until you find the one you want
(1) Lock in the desired artist and remap the arrow button to ...
(>) Scroll thru the songs within that selected artist

ALBUM: Set the Dice Silverline to Album mode
(6)(4)(>) Scroll thru the albums until you find the one you want
(1) Lock in the desired album and remap the arrow button to ...
(>) Scroll thru the songs within that selected album

SUPPORT:
First register at http://register.diceelectronics.com
Then call DICE Electronics Technical Support at 888-342-3999 x2,x1
Or, if you bought from Tom at EAS, talk to him at
866-669-0705 x22

Note 0: This chart assumes a DICE Silverline radio mount
in a 2002 E39 with BMW Business CD, no nav, no dsp, with both Dice DIP switches UP. The command key is that (#) is a MID button; (>CD-##) is a press of the arrow (either steering wheel or MID) when it selects the CD number; and (>) is just a press of that arrow (either steering wheel or MID) when it is mapped to select the track. [This is hard to describe so see the attached photo for clarification.]

Caution 0: DICE SLEEPAPNEA; When the iPod goes into Hibernation or DeepSleep (depending on the model) while attached to the DICE cable, and then the DICE is subsequently restarted while the iPod is still attached, the DICE is known to sometimes (but not always) freeze, permanently displaying "ATTACHED" on your text display (whether or not the iPod is subsequently attached or removed or reattached, etc.). When that happens, the only known solution is a full battery reset procedure (although DICE support says detaching the power to the DICE may also sometimes work, others disagree. YMMV.)

Caution 1: Some reputed triggers for DICE ATTACHED freezes are only suspected:
- GOLDILOCKS: If your iPod battery is not too low nor high enough, it is suspected it can cause the DICE to go into ATTACHED freeze mode.
- HOTSWAP: It is reputed if you hot swap two iPods too quickly, it appears the DICE can possibly enter the permanent freeze ATTACHED mode.
- ITCHYFINGERS: If you give the DICE too many commands in too short a time, it is suspected that also might cause the DICE to get confused.

WARNING: Once frozen, the DICE will permanently output "ATTACHED" on your text display and will not play anything until you perform a full battery reset procedure.

WORKAROUND: If you plan to hotswap, goldilock, or itchyfinger the DICE, it has been recommended you might forestall ATTACHED freezing by periodically turning off the car for 30 seconds or at least cycling through the "MODE" button on your E39 radio to reset the DICE between interactions.

Recommendation 0: Keep a portable iPod charger in your vehicle. You must keep an additional portable iPod charger in your vehicle if you wish to have songs on tap at all times. This portable iPod charger is needed even if the DICE charges the iPod because the DICE will not charge an iPod whose battery is sufficiently low as to not boot the iPod sufficiently for the DICE to communicate with the iPod to charge it. This portable iPod charger is only needed for about 5 or 10 minutes; after that, the iPod is sufficiently charged to boot and the DICE can take over the charging action. This portable iPod charger can be a PC with a standard iPod USB cable or a 12-volt iPod charger adapter or a 120v iPod charging unit connected to a 12v-to-120v inverter.

Note 1: A full battery reset procedure is as follows:

1. Disconnect the iPod from the DICE interface cable
2. Remove the negative battery cable with a 10mm socket wrench
3. Remove the positive battery cable with a 10mm socket wrench
4. Touch battery cable terminals together (away from battery) for about 5 seconds (a small spark is normal as this is stored power draining from the system); on the E39, short with your wrench because the cables do not reach each other otherwise.
5. Allow cables to remain disconnected for about 5-7 minutes
6. Reconnect the positive battery cable
7. Reconnect the negative battery cable
8. Reboot most iPods by pressing on MENU & CENTER buttons for about 5 seconds and then reconnecting to the DICE cable after the reboot process is completed. Reboot of iPod touch & iPhone, which don't have buttons, is a different procedure (please advise so we can write that here for others).

Note 2: Charging: Older iPods charged with 12volts while the newer iPods (after 9/2008) use 5v. If you have a black connector at the DICE end, it will only charge the older 12v iPods; you'll need a new cable to handle newer iPods. If you have the latest green connector (after about January of 2009) it will charge both the older 12v and the newer 5v iPods and it will work on most DICE units retroactively. The blue connector, which is what I have, was apparently a temporary interim DICE that came out late in 2008 but it also charges both 12v & 5v iPods.

Note 3: Inputs: The DICE has two input cable choices: iPod or Aux. Most people use the iPod input. The DICE comes with the iPod input cable but not with an Aux input cable. Both cables can be installed since they each have a separate input on the DICE unit. Suggested Aux cable is 1/8th stereo plug, male to male; but other options exist (e.g., RCA phono plugs, male-to female, etc.). For the radio mount, at least 4 feet is the suggested length for the AUX cable as 3 feet barely makes it to the center console.

Note 4: Control: To put the DICE into Simple UI mode (i.e., to control songs from the iPod UI but without any text display on the MID or cluster) disconnect the battery and then set both DICE DIP switches to the DOWN position; then reconnect the battery.

Note 5: Installation: Most people place the DICE in the trunk or under the MID. Only trunk-mount instructions come with the DICE; however trunk mounts are known to sometimes suffer from electromagnetic interference. Radio mounts are not known to suffer from EMI. Both are easy afternoon DIYs (if you have instructions). For radio mounts, you need to review the installation instructions on the web for your make/model BMW. There were no known radio-mount instructions for my simple E39 radio mount so I wrote them up separately. The only tools I required were two allen wrenches (1.5 mm and 2.0 mm) and a flashlight (to see where to snake the wires from the MID to the glovebox). To remove the MID, remove the volume knob & twist the set screw at the 6-o-clock position under the volume knob 90 degrees counter-clockwise with the 1.5mm allen wrench. To remove the BMW Business CD, loosen the two 2.0 mm set screws which are only visible after you remove the MID. Both units pull out by hand.

Recommendation:
Print these instructions and place a folded copy in your passenger sun visor for passenger reference.

Last edited by bluebee; 05-02-2009 at 10:26 AM.
Advertisement
Old 05-06-2009, 03:06 PM

Unsubstantiated recommendations for future DICE users

Some of these are unsubstantiated but I post them for others to benefit:

SUMMARY of my hard-learned recommendations:

#1 Don't allow the iPod to fall asleep while connected to the DICE
- If it does fall asleep while connected to the DICE, wake up the iPod before powering the radio. You wake up the iPod by pressing any button.
- Do prevent the iPod from going into deep sleep by installing the bimmerfest zip file of calendar alarms (supposedly there is no need for Outlook nor for iTunes but I can't get this to work on the latest iPod nano (4th generation)).

#2 Don't disconnect any one iPod without cycling thru the radio modes or ignition
- Certainly don't hotswap any two iPods without cycling thru the radio modes or cycling the ignition

#3 Don't punch too many commands into the DICE w/o cycling thru the three radio modes or ignition

#4 Don't connect an almost dead-battery iPod to the DICE (the DICE might hang into ATTACHED freeze mode)
- Don't hook the iPod to the DICE if the iPod battery is so dead the iPod won't boot (the DICE won't ever charge it)
- Do charge a low-battery iPod with a supplemental charger for five or ten minutes; then you can charge on the DICE just fine

#5 Don't skip a step rebooting the DICE;
i.e., don't skip the negative battery cable removal step and then accidentally short out the positive side of the battery to the frame trying to remove the positive cable; the $1000 ABS repair it might cost you just isn't worth it in the end

Last edited by bluebee; 05-11-2009 at 03:32 PM.
Old 05-13-2009, 01:33 PM

One workaround to the DICE iPod charging issue

Here, for the record, is one solution for the DICE charging issue.

Old 05-13-2009, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Do prevent the iPod from going into deep sleep by installing the bimmerfest zip file of calendar alarms
Forget that advice. It didn't work. The only reliable way to prevent the DICE from going into ATTACHED mode is to disconnect the iPod daily and/or wake up the iPod before putting the key into the ignition.

Old 05-13-2009, 01:43 PM

Quote:
#3 Don't punch too many commands into the DICE w/o cycling thru the three radio modes or ignition
Somehow, I'm not sure how, the DICE Silverline can be made to go into the unresponsive DICE ZERO mode.

In this DICE ZERO mode, the DICE Silverline is totally unresponsive to BMW commands (without touching any DIP switches) and the cluster or MID displays a zero (0).

The good news is the control from the iPod is perfect in this strange new DICE ZERO mode. And, as always, the sound from the DICE (when it's working) is great!

Old 06-10-2009, 08:47 AM

Just a warning to others ...

I put an old iPod in the DICE and it worked. Then I removed it, and cycled the mode switch and put it back.

Wham!

I'm back in ATTACHED mode!

So, just cycling the DICE mode switch may not be enough; we might have to turn the car off before disconnecting and reconnecting a different iPod in order to positively avoid the dreaded DICE ATTACHED freeze.

Time to do my umpteenth battery reset procedure!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dice_attached_again.jpg
Views:	5316
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	188904  
Old 08-03-2009, 05:08 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '98 528
Hello, to the forum! I love all things Bimmer and drive both an 00 M5 and a 98 528i. Thanks for all the forum info here. Im a member of a few other Bimmer boards, but found this one while searching for Dice Silverline Info. SO....

My M5 has the Dice Silverline Pro, with a 2nd gen Nano and DSP. I to get the dreaded "ATTACHED" whenever I finally stop thinking about the Dice unit and just start using it. After doing a million and three battery disconnects, Ive come up with a work around that seems to work most of the time.
-Turn the car off with the radio turned off first
-Disconnect the ipod and reset
-Disconnect the Dice unit from the main harness for about 15-20 sec. I notice that my DVD nav drive seems to go off in about this time.
-Reconnect everything
-Start car, turn on radio for a few sec. and then switch to ipod.
-- I get a "CORE NOT DETECTED", then "DETACHED", then normal ops.
- I make a habbit of NOT turning off the car when in IPOD mode. Seems to help.
(EDIT below added)
-If you get ATTACHED again, try the same as above, but leave the dice disconnected longer.

Hopefully that can save your battery terminals on some wear and tear.

Last edited by Flybot; 08-05-2009 at 01:32 PM.
Old 08-05-2009, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybot View Post
-Disconnect the Dice unit from the main harness for about 15-20 sec.
This is GREAT new information for those who have access to their DICE unit (e.g., for trunk-mount operation). Thanks. Folks can print this and keep it in their glove box.

Those of us with radio mount probably can't disconnect the DICE as easily (drat) but it's still good information 'cuz the dreaded ATTACHED is a real PITA.

On another note, it would be nice to have an explanation of the messages from the DICE so let's start assembling them here for the printable instructions update.

I just saw Tom's explanation of "DETACHED" and "STOPPED" here:

DETACHED/STOPPED means the DICE does not see the iPod or the iPod was left in the vehicle overnight and went into sleep mode.
Old 08-05-2009, 01:13 PM

Ive had a rash of "Attached" messages in the last few days, I think from turning off the car with the ipod playing. Still havnt had to disconnect the battery. But Ive noticed a few other things with the "ATTACHED" failure:

-If you can control CD#5 to switch between ipod and Aux, a reset of only the ipod seems to work. I disconnect the ipod, reset it, and when its done reconnect.
-STOPPED simply means its reached the end of an album or play list, from what I can tell. In other words whatever would normaly stop an ipod from playing.
-I get a DETACHED message if the car has been off for a long time (over 24 hours?). It comes on and after the ipod starts up it goes away.
-Disconnecting the wire harness from the Dice unit for a few minites seems to work better than a quick disconnect /reconnect. I have mine in the trunk and when the nav disk activity stops is when I reconnect. It may be longer than I originaly said above.

These all seem to have to do with how the Dice talks to the BMW ibus (the BMW "i" used way before the ipod was invented) and the ipod. The BMW radio controls a lot of functions and does a sort of polling to see what equipment is connected, like CD player, Nav units, etc. When the car is shut off it goes into different stages of standby. And when it detects activity, like alarm off, door open, restart, etc. it checks whats connected and everything is supposed to be great. The Dice unit doesnt always meet the ibus at the same time it seems, and this is why a battery disconnect is the fix all for a number of BMW electronic issues. It gets everything on the same page again.

My theory is that by disconnecting the Dice from the harness and waiting a few minutes, the ibus "writes off" the Dice as gone. A reconnect, says "new equipment here" and its back on line. But, I may be completely wrong.

Last edited by Flybot; 08-05-2009 at 04:23 PM.
Old 08-27-2009, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Ive had a rash of "Attached" messages in the last few days
I get ATTACHED all the time. It's a royal PITA. Sometimes I just leave it in the ATTACHED mode for a week or more until I get the energy to yet again run the full battery disconnect procedure.

Since mine is a radio mount, the simple DICE disconnect procedure is just as cumbersome but I did talk to the DICE technical support and two different people told me it would work fine (but watch out, certainly on this board it is not recommended to do anything but the full-battery disconnect procedure).

The good news is that I finally bought an iPod charger because I was sick and tired of going on long trips and having the iPod dead and the DICE Silverline wouldn't charge it. This is one place the sellers of the DICE are, in my humble opinion, being less than forthright with the users.

The DICE Silverline does NOT charge an iPod. It can only "top off" an iPod, which, in many cases, is useless. Sure, it keeps an already charged iPod charged, but, it does absolutely nothing to an iPod which won't play on its own.

People should know this because I didn't know this and it might have affected my decison to go to a LOT of trouble to get the DICE Silverline that "supposedly" charged the newer iPods. I wasted my time and effort.

Here is a picture of the iPod charger I now use (as of this week). It's a bit bulky to have to carry around; but at least it charges the iPod when I need it.

Old 08-27-2009, 04:57 PM

Essential iPod for BMW owners:
0. iPod
1. DICE
2. DICE use-model printout
3. iPod charger

Old 09-03-2009, 04:18 PM

Hmm. I have an old 2nd gen ipod that is only used in the car. Its always charged.
Not having access to the Dice unit is a pain. Mine is a trunk mount, and I havnt had to do a battery disconnect in months. Hasnt stopped the Dice from going "ATTACHED" though.
Old 09-23-2009, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Not having access to the Dice unit is a pain. Mine is a trunk mount
It seems to me where the iPod ends up sitting is the most important criteria (whether it's a trunk or radio connection).

The closer the iPod is mounted to the driver the better since you absolutely must disconnect and reconnect daily at the bare minimum.

The second most important criteria would be, it seems, what type of mount - trunk and radio being about the same in effort but trunk has more problems with interference than does the radio mount.

The last thing to think about would be the "issues" with charging and stability. For my iPod nano (the new generation as of September 2009) in the DICE Silverline, it will only charge if it doesn't need to be charged.

All this is fine, if I knew it ahead of time: so that's why I make sure others are aware so that they can buy with confidence.

Bluebee
PS: The DICE sounds great when it works; but, for the past week I've been stuck in DICE "CORE 1.400E" mode, whatever that is ...

Old 11-18-2009, 03:53 PM

Mein Auto: 01' 540 M-Sport cdn, F355
Bluebee, many thanks for all your hard work in educating both potential and current Dice users, your efforts are commendable. Unfortunately for Dice, I am unwilling to have the patience and understanding that you have (you are a literal saint in my book! . After much contemplation and reflection of the various alternatives such as the Intervee and USA Spec, I have elected to go with the USA Spec, just based on it's simplicity and stability. I realize the limitations of their interface, but willing to sacrifice for the stability/reliabilty.

Best regards,

Dave
Factory M-Sport package with factory installed M-tech bumpers, factory Bluetooth, factory M-Audio 10" dual voice coil subs, Homelink, M5 rear stabilizer bar, Bilstein B14 PSS coil overs, Stop Tech ss brake lines, Akebono Euro Ceramic brake pads, oem Brembo and Zimmerman rotors, Dinan Stage 1 software, Strong Strut front upper stress bar.
Old 11-25-2009, 08:20 PM

Mein Auto: '06 330Ci Vert. '03 M5
Bluebee,

Just stumbled onto this thread as I was searching out problems with the Dice unit and dreaded "Attached" but no response issue. Only had my unit for 3 days! and I have aleady found this "Feature"!! I thought that only Microsoft had features??

My unit will not recognize the iPod Mini at all, works ok with iTouch Gen 1. So far I can only skip tracks with the iTouch Gen 1, cannot browse. Also if the iTouch is connented in "locked" or standby, the Dice unit will not recognize the unit. If I then unlock the iTouch, the display is chasing its tail with some "Connected" screen. Funny the $90 iHome clock radios have no problem handling the iPods and bringing them out of sleep mode and controlling them! Seems someone does not know how to program correctly at Dice. I wonder if they ship their programming to some 3rd party in India??

Starting to think Dice is junk. They need a firmware resolution to correct this and other problems. In my opinion this does not appear to be a real product, just someones basement hobby. Typical programmers that do not understand real world situations, probably do not even have access to a BMW or other vehicle to really test, probably some home grown software simulation package to make sure the units does what they tell it to do??

What you wrote up, should have been handled by Dice. Dice also needs to explain: Attached, Detached, and all the other cryptic text their unit displays. This is utterly crap that you are doing their job for them.

So I think a number of us unhappy Dice users need to band together and hit Dice hard and force them to fix their code. As long as they do not have a limitation in the units processor, this should be something they can solve with a keyboard? Same goes for the charging and also keeping the iPod awake with some form of a watch dog timer in the Dice unit. Dice has an opportunity to turn this around if they expect to stay a player in this business for long.

I still need to play around a bit more, luckily my unit is trunk mounted and for now I have not even run the wiring inside the car, just no time. I found it just easy to unplug the Dice interface cable for about 30 seconds to get the unit back working. To heck with the battery reset all the time.

Unit may be shipped back as this is for the wifes car and we all know how the wives expect everything to perform as they expect. No excuses will be accepted!!

Really frustrated at this point.

JamesO
Old 05-24-2010, 10:22 AM

Mein Auto: 528i
Unhappy Silverline IPOD interface works sorta

I have audio - can control IPOD directly - if I select m on 2000 528i I can fast forward through songs on my IPOD... however here is the wierd part .. I cannot shuttle forward or back.. the display records the request but the IPOD does not advance the song.

I have tried the soft reset of silverline pro a few times.. I have even tried the bus reset of unhooking the battery until all the car's memories where cleared...

It had worked in the past and just stopped allowing shuttle for whatever reason.. but I can fast forward.
Old 01-23-2011, 06:38 AM

Auuuurgh. [ slaps head ]. I just got it.

Up until just now, in another thread where Fudman yet again strongly admonished it's not a "battery reboot" procedure so much as a "system reboot" procedure, I personally had a hard time understanding why every time I mentioned Tom's procedure, that people kept warning about shorting the battery terminals.
- Questions for e39 DICE Silverline users (post #174)

I, for one, couldn't imagine that anyone would even think to short battery terminals, given the rather low internal resistance of the BMW battery and the capacity for huge current.

Then, in this thread today, E39 DICE iPod Problems, I belatedly realized people were worried about the "wording" of the "battery reboot" procedure, since it's a SYSTEM reboot instead that we're performing!

I agree. My mistake. (The reason it took me so long to understand was that I just couldn't imagine anyone actually shorting a battery itself!). But there it is. My wording, taken from Tom's, was "battery reboot". My fault. I apologize.

Here is the full system reboot procedure, rewritten so as to be more explicitly accurate:

See the full BMW SYSTEM reboot procedure here:
- Printable instructions for operating the DICE Silverline iPod adapter (in a BMW E39)

Note 1: A full BMW system reset procedure is as follows:
4. Touch battery cable terminals together (away from battery) for about 5 seconds (a small spark is considered normal as this is stored power draining from the system); on the E39, short with your socket wrench because the cables do not reach each other otherwise.
8. Reboot most iPods by pressing on MENU & CENTER buttons for about 5 seconds
9. Reconnect the iPod to the DICE cable after the reboot process is completed.
10. Operate the DICE as shown in the instructions.

Note: Reboot of iPod touch & iPhone, which don't have buttons, is a different procedure (please advise so we can write that here for others).

Old 06-27-2011, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebee View Post
Note 1: A full BMW system reset procedure is as follows:
4. Touch battery cable terminals together (away from battery) for about 5 seconds (a small spark is considered normal as this is stored power draining from the system); on the E39, short with your socket wrench because the cables do not reach each other otherwise.
8. Reboot most iPods by pressing on MENU & CENTER buttons for about 5 seconds
9. Reconnect the iPod to the DICE cable after the reboot process is completed.
10. Operate the DICE as shown in the instructions.

Based on this thread, we may need to add a 16-minute waiting period:
-
E39 (1997 - 2003) > Do you wait 16 mins before disconnecting the battery?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvsgene View Post
1) open trunk,
2) leave open,
3) To be sure, when light by the shift knob [or trunk light] goes out, that should be 16mins
Old 03-19-2012, 09:07 PM

There was a discussion of the system reset procedure over here today:
> E39 (1997 - 2003) > Odometer Malfunction - help wanted

So I summarized this thread as the following (please revise as needed!):

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebee View Post
Here's the detailed so-called 'battery reset' procedure:
- E39 Sunvisor instructions for operating DICE Silverline

Note 1: A full BMW system reset procedure is as follows (according to DICE personnel):
1. Open trunk & leave it open for at least 16 minutes
2. To be sure, when light by the shift knob [or trunk light] goes out, that should be 16 mins
3. Disconnect the iPod from the DICE interface cable
4. Remove the negative battery cable with a 10mm socket wrench
5. Remove the positive battery cable with a 10mm socket wrench
6. Touch battery cable terminals together (away from battery) for about 5 seconds (a small spark is considered normal as this is stored power draining from the system); on the E39, short with your socket wrench because the cables do not reach each other otherwise.
7. Allow cables to remain disconnected for about 5-7 minutes
8. Reconnect the positive battery cable
9. Reconnect the negative battery cable
1-. Reboot most iPods by pressing on MENU & CENTER buttons for about 5 seconds
11. Reconnect the iPod to the DICE cable after the reboot process is completed.
12. Operate the DICE as shown in the instructions.
Your job, in return, is to read the suggested threads, where the best people will always add value to those threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same problem stands on your shoulders.
See also: E39 Bestlinks & How to easily find what you need