Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 03-08-2012, 11:59 AM
Living Life At The Beach

Mein Auto: 2004 325 Convertible
Anytime! And don't be a stranger. Good luck with the alternator install. Don't forget, there are links to excellent DIY,s contained in the Wiki at the top of the page
Old 03-20-2012, 11:35 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2001 320Ci
My apologies for not providing an update to this thread, but I had a few things to take care of. I personally hate when OPs don't provide closure, so here is my update.

My alternator wasn't the "complete" issue. I replaced it and it made all sorts of internal rattling noises, it even had leaves in it. Don't ask. My noise still persisted.

At this point, everything was new from the pulleys to the PS pump. I couldn't figure it out so I caved and sent the car off to the dealer since I was nervous something more critical was wrong with the car. Apparently, it gave the tech a few headaches too, but ultimatley it turned out to be the new drive belt I put on it. There has been tons of talk on this forum about OEM v. aftermarket parts and I guess belts can fall in the category as well. The tech put a a bmw belt on it and the noise is gone. The tech couldn't say for sure why, but he did say that the belt I had on it could have been fractionally larger and it was just sort of "flopping" around, in other words, it wasn't fitting snuggly or maybe it was made from a different material and when it was cold it just didn't function correctly. I don't think I would have found it because the belt was the farthest thing from my mind based on the noise. The tech said it wasn't typical belt noise either. So far, it worked when he replaced it and they kept the car one more day and tested it again this morning in the rain and it was perfect. I showed up a few hours later to pick it up and it was like butta. When I start it in the morning I'll update again. What a saga...

If your curious the belt I originally put on it was an 6PK1540 Optibelt-RB 2G.

Last edited by PerfectStorm01; 03-20-2012 at 11:38 PM. Reason: clarification on the belt
Old 03-21-2012, 04:33 AM

Mein Auto: '99 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectStorm01 View Post
My apologies for not providing an update to this thread, but I had a few things to take care of. I personally hate when OPs don't provide closure, so here is my update.

My alternator wasn't the "complete" issue. I replaced it and it made all sorts of internal rattling noises, it even had leaves in it. Don't ask. My noise still persisted.

At this point, everything was new from the pulleys to the PS pump. I couldn't figure it out so I caved and sent the car off to the dealer since I was nervous something more critical was wrong with the car. Apparently, it gave the tech a few headaches too, but ultimatley it turned out to be the new drive belt I put on it. There has been tons of talk on this forum about OEM v. aftermarket parts and I guess belts can fall in the category as well. The tech put a a bmw belt on it and the noise is gone. The tech couldn't say for sure why, but he did say that the belt I had on it could have been fractionally larger and it was just sort of "flopping" around, in other words, it wasn't fitting snuggly or maybe it was made from a different material and when it was cold it just didn't function correctly. I don't think I would have found it because the belt was the farthest thing from my mind based on the noise. The tech said it wasn't typical belt noise either. So far, it worked when he replaced it and they kept the car one more day and tested it again this morning in the rain and it was perfect. I showed up a few hours later to pick it up and it was like butta. When I start it in the morning I'll update again. What a saga...

If your curious the belt I originally put on it was an 6PK1540 Optibelt-RB 2G.
Thanks for the update but I had assumed your story had a happy ending until next time.

The dealer mechanics have one luxury most of us don't, including the Indys. They have access to the complete inventory of parts for the car at the dealership and can try different options. If it doesn't work, the part can quietly go back on the shelf. For the rest of us, we try, we buy. Especially electrical parts.

Last edited by ckleung100; 03-21-2012 at 04:35 AM.
Old 03-21-2012, 05:30 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 320Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckleung100 View Post
Thanks for the update but I had assumed your story had a happy ending until next time.

The dealer mechanics have one luxury most of us don't, including the Indys. They have access to the complete inventory of parts for the car at the dealership and can try different options. If it doesn't work, the part can quietly go back on the shelf. For the rest of us, we try, we buy. Especially electrical parts.
I think my story has a happy ending now...started the car this morning and it sounded perfect-no noise or rattle or rumble. It's amazing a belt can make those types of noises.

Thanks again.