Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 03-06-2012, 11:00 AM
Der Ursprüngliche....Albo

Mein Auto: OO=[][]=OO
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinanBimmer View Post
Woah, those are decently priced. Thanks for the link

2003 530i (Alpine White/Sand Beige) - 18x8.5 & 18x9.5 ACS Type II Wheels - BC Racing Coilovers - Eibach Sway Bars - Beastpower Sway Bar Brackets - M-Technic Replica Bumpers - Slimmbones CSL-Style Spltters - Magnaflow Muffler - Dinan CAI - TopSpeed Performance Strut Brace - Carbon Fiber Valve Cover Fascias - Zionsville Autosport Radiator/Fan Kit - Revmax Stage II Torque Converter - AMG Paddle Shifters
Old 03-06-2012, 12:31 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 540i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albo View Post
http://www.bmwled.net/

Install is easy, though your old lights can be a little stubborn on the way out. Just slide the assembly to the right.

Here is an excellent DIY:

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e39...ight-bulb.html
good looks, might buy some right now.
Old 03-11-2012, 08:06 PM

Installed the aluminum strut tower bar that i bought from Igor... Thanks bud!

Also Plasti Dipped my CAI...looks much more incognito now:

2003 530i (Alpine White/Sand Beige) - 18x8.5 & 18x9.5 ACS Type II Wheels - BC Racing Coilovers - Eibach Sway Bars - Beastpower Sway Bar Brackets - M-Technic Replica Bumpers - Slimmbones CSL-Style Spltters - Magnaflow Muffler - Dinan CAI - TopSpeed Performance Strut Brace - Carbon Fiber Valve Cover Fascias - Zionsville Autosport Radiator/Fan Kit - Revmax Stage II Torque Converter - AMG Paddle Shifters

Last edited by Albo; 03-12-2012 at 07:51 AM.
Old 03-14-2012, 08:17 PM

Redoing the amp wiring....mounted the LOC on top of the stock non-dsp amp.

Old 03-21-2012, 10:16 AM

Not an update to the car, per-say....but I just ordered this bad boy. I wonder what kind of mischief Albo is going to get into real soon?

6-Ton Hydraulic Press from Summit Racing:

Old 03-21-2012, 11:44 AM

Beisan Vanos Seals ordered! That's it...i'm not spending another dime on this car until I'm done installing all the parts I've amassed in the garage...

http://www.beisansystems.com/products.html

Last edited by Albo; 03-21-2012 at 01:18 PM.
Old 03-21-2012, 07:28 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 530 Sport Twins
nice
i am still working on my rear
need REDO rear struts , to much FIRM for me
and my stereo upgrade , i burned one M Audio speaker and waiting for replacement
and ordered rear Shade , coming in soon

Last edited by champaign777; 03-21-2012 at 07:29 PM.
Old 03-21-2012, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by champaign777 View Post
nice
i am still working on my rear
need REDO rear struts , to much FIRM for me
and my stereo upgrade , i burned one M Audio speaker and waiting for replacement
and ordered rear Shade , coming in soon
Nice... I want to do the rear sun shade as well. That is a project for down the road, though...

Old 03-21-2012, 10:08 PM

i just bought my from ebay ( last post here )
180$ shipped with switch connector

Any difference with lasti Dipped ?

Last edited by champaign777; 03-21-2012 at 10:13 PM.
Old 03-21-2012, 11:00 PM

I havent noticed any difference after plasti-dipping the intake. I wish had taken before/after temperature readings of the intake....but, such is life.

I really installed the intake for the aurul pleasure...not fooling myself into thinking i picked up any ponies. :-p

Old 03-22-2012, 04:30 PM

Mein Auto: 1998 540i 6-speed
Quote:
I havent noticed any difference after plasti-dipping the intake. I wish had taken before/after temperature readings of the intake....but, such is life.

I really installed the intake for the aurul pleasure...not fooling myself into thinking i picked up any ponies. :-p
Do you think I could plasti-dip my flaking powder coated gold engine covers? Or would the temperature get too high on the covers for plasti-dip to be effective.

Straight-piped Dinan Free Flow Exhaust, M5 illuminated shifter and boot, black kidney grills, tinting on back windows, CCFL Angel Eyes, CDV delete, 15mm spaced
Old 03-22-2012, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Do you think I could plasti-dip my flaking powder coated gold engine covers? Or would the temperature get too high on the covers for plasti-dip to be effective.
I don't think it would work on the valve covers. Their website says it's good up to 200°F.

http://www.plastidip.com/blog/2012/0...dip-tech-tips/

I'm not sure what the valve covers get up to, but i'm sure its above that range.

Old 03-22-2012, 05:43 PM

Mein Auto: 1998 540i 6-speed
Quote:
I don't think it would work on the valve covers. Their website says it's good up to 200°F.

http://www.plastidip.com/blog/2012/0...dip-tech-tips/

I'm not sure what the valve covers get up to, but i'm sure its above that range.
Ya I was skeptical, guess they just have to be powder coated again. But in black this time

Straight-piped Dinan Free Flow Exhaust, M5 illuminated shifter and boot, black kidney grills, tinting on back windows, CCFL Angel Eyes, CDV delete, 15mm spaced
Old 03-22-2012, 05:59 PM

Mein Auto: 1998 528iA
Have you noticed a significant difference with the strut bar? And what is an LOC?
Old 03-22-2012, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by occhis View Post
Have you noticed a significant difference with the strut bar? And what is an LOC?
I actually do feel a difference in transitions (left to right - right to left). It essentially acts in a similar way as an anti-roll bar, but to a lesser extent. I certainly can tell the front shock towers are locked together.

A lot of people dont believe in them , but i'm a fan of as much chassis bracing as economically feasible. I've had a strut tower bar in 6 of my 7 BMW's...including front & rear bars in my E46 325xi. I will always add one to firm things as much as possible.

A LOC is a Line Output Converter. It allows you to convert speaker lever inputs into RCA inputs for an amplifier. I've got mine running into a 300 watt Orion amp pushing a JL Audio 10" subwoofer.

Old 03-22-2012, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Ya I was skeptical, guess they just have to be powder coated again. But in black this time
Originally they were painted so once you powdercoat your set for life. :-). I had planned to do this on my 740il. Maybe on my next E38....

Last edited by Albo; 03-22-2012 at 10:47 PM.
Old 03-23-2012, 09:59 AM

Alright.... i'm a hypocrite.. jus tbought some Valvoine Maxlife Dex/Merc and transmission filter to service my transmission. The list keeps growing!

Old 03-23-2012, 10:32 AM

Mein Auto: E39 hamster w/ pin-wheel
Quote:
Get them professionally power-coated.
Old 03-23-2012, 01:40 PM
'Fest Sponsor

Mein Auto: 528-530 Hybrid, Duc. 748
I just glanced at this thread for the first time. OMG Albo you are a busy guy! I wish I had some free time to work on mine. I still have a M54 performance engine sitting in the other room in a million pieces that hasn't been touched for about 6 months.

Nice work,

Gary

"I'm a little rascal on my Little Rascal"
- unknown
Old 03-23-2012, 03:10 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 530iA
Quote:
That's it...i'm not spending another dime on this car until I'm done installing all the parts I've amassed in the garage...

http://www.beisansystems.com/products.html
We'll see how long will that last . It's an addiction.
Old 03-23-2012, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary@germanautosolutions View Post
I just glanced at this thread for the first time. OMG Albo you are a busy guy! I wish I had some free time to work on mine. I still have a M54 performance engine sitting in the other room in a million pieces that hasn't been touched for about 6 months.

Nice work,

Gary
Thanks Gary.... I dont take my addiction lightly! I'll have a major update to this thread on Sunday... maybe even tomorrow.

Thanks for your contributions to the E39 world....i posted a thread on bimmerboard.com plugging your DISA rebuild kit.

Old 03-23-2012, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by George16 View Post
We'll see how long will that last . It's an addiction.
Well George...i already broke my vow!!

Old 03-24-2012, 08:32 PM

Teasers...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1332645997.427932.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	318359   Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1332646116.469458.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	318360   Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1332646200.404328.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	120.4 KB
ID:	318361  

Old 03-24-2012, 09:57 PM

what is bad in OEM bushing which cost 60$ and last excellent for the 50k miles ?
Old 03-24-2012, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by champaign777 View Post
what is bad in OEM bushing which cost 60$ and last excellent for the 50k miles ?
Nothing bad with OEM at all! I'm just crazy... :-@