Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 03-22-2012, 07:37 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 BMW 528i
ship off my abs module today

Hi Guy....just ship off my module today to Cheap ABS and now can't wait for it to come back.....been wanted to do this 2 month ago but other things keep coming up and one thing was that I was planing on doing it myself after spending countless time reading and study, then I decide why mess with it and if I fail or make it worse it would cost me an leg to replace and now I'm at peace with it. .... I will repost about the outcome of it.
Advertisement
Old 03-23-2012, 09:24 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuykendall View Post
just shipped off my module today to Cheap ABS ...
Since they're not of the top three, let us know in this thread how you made out with them:
- Summary of all known ABS control module rebuilder options & new suppliers with prices (1)

Also ask them, while your ABS is on their test jig, what they do (i.e., what they test, what they replace, and what they found).

We'd all learn from your effort.
Old 03-24-2012, 05:04 AM

bluebee I talk with Cheap ABS about my problem with module that if temp. is 24 degree or below everything work fine but soon as it get above that nothing work right, but before I took or thinking it the module did lot of testing it all pointing back at the module, he said with the temp. change it is the module.......so ship off Wed. morning and I email him to ask how long will it take to get back, he email back and this is what he said.....get it to be on Sat. and he close on Monday then he be gone for 3 weeks, now I'm worry...not sure if that mean I get my fix before he leave for 3 weeks or what or did I just got rip. I'm hoping he will do the right things or my bad but we learn about who or where to do business by speaking up here. So I will let you know.
Old 03-24-2012, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuykendall View Post
this is what he said.....get it to be on Sat. and he close on Monday then he be gone for 3 weeks, now I'm worry...not sure if that mean I get my fix before he leave for 3 weeks or what...
IIRC, mine was returned fixed by ATE in just a couple of days. Most people have had similar experiences, so, you 'should' expect the repaired module in less than 5 business days to arrive back at your home.

Let us know what they say they found that was wrong with the unit.

The reason I ask is that it appears all they do (most of the time?) is solder one wire back on. But, some say they replace one of the modules in the back of the ABS control unit.

Others (like ATE), say they fix components such as resistors & capacitors (which I seriously doubt because of the minuscule size of these things on the circuit board).

That's why it's good if you ask them 'what' they found wrong and what exactly they replaced or repaired!
Old 03-24-2012, 08:55 AM
resident, old fart

Mein Auto: 2002 540i sport
This is what happens when people do not read the forum or use search. Had you done this, your module would be off to BBA or MM and not a fly-by-night, unproven re-builder. Good luck is all I can say. AND, if you read this forum on ABS faults you would know temp is single biggest cause of module failure. Heat is what destroys the solder connections in the module so to say that yours works fine when cold is like "yea, so what's your point!" They all fail this way! Intermittent at first, steady fail if you let it go or you get into summer weather. God.... Bee and I get hurt when we have put so much into providing information on this failure right down to who to re-build, etc. and people go and do exact opposite.
Old 03-24-2012, 09:50 AM
4th BMW

Mein Auto: 2002 540iT Sportwagon
ABS MODULE replacement; PRESSURE SENSOR AND STEERING ANGLE ADAPTATION.

I sent my abs module off to ate and received it back 10 days later as unrepairable due to memory failure. They sold me a repaired and tested unit out of stock for additional $250. I just had the bmw dealer code that module to my car and the 3 lights stayed on. Fault codes were 0061- dsc: Steering angle sensor, identification and 0051 dsc: Pressure sensor, line. How about that....all three going out at once??? Do you think? My symptoms were intermittent abs/brake/ dsc lights coming on. No speedo/odo errors. Replace ft. Speed sensors (one wire frayed). The ate instructions for module installation included performing steering angle sensor adaptation after coding the module. I suspect the dealer did not do this and pulled up the 0061 fault code. Adapting the steering sensor involves: 1) start the vehicle, 2) turn steering wheel lock to lock once or twice, 3) drive away in a strait line, 4) the abs light should be off and vehicle should have proper abs operation. >> if the light is still on, a scanner will be required to calibrate the module.
I did the steering sensor adaptation procedure after leaving the dealer. I ordered a new hydo/ pressure sensor....and hope it is not the wiring.
If after replacing the pressure sensor, the light(s) is still on, i'll be back to the last step of the adapt steering angle sensor.....any comments welcome.
Old 03-24-2012, 10:04 AM
4th BMW

Reading archives

*reading the archives* here and in any like forums is a very important step before asking questions. I did this in reference to my post above and my regret is that i did not first check the voltage reference to the brake booster pressure at the hydro/ brake pressure sensor. Improper procedure. But, then, i got fault codes on everything but the wheel speed sensors. I recently did a full brake flush/ bleed and r&r my front brake pads and rotors. Prior to that i did note another symptom of having to press harder than usual on the pedal to lock up the brakes or actuate the abs (when working). That should have been a tip off to check the pressure sensor and it's higher end voltage. I will post back as to the final cure.
Old 03-24-2012, 10:25 AM

I did read but chose

Quote:
Originally Posted by 540iman View Post
This is what happens when people do not read the forum or use search. Had you done this, your module would be off to BBA or MM and not a fly-by-night, unproven re-builder. Good luck is all I can say. AND, if you read this forum on ABS faults you would know temp is single biggest cause of module failure. Heat is what destroys the solder connections in the module so to say that yours works fine when cold is like "yea, so what's your point!" They all fail this way! Intermittent at first, steady fail if you let it go or you get into summer weather. God.... Bee and I get hurt when we have put so much into providing information on this failure right down to who to re-build, etc. and people go and do exact opposite.
I did search and read here in this forum, that where I learn so much about my BMW if it wasn't for this forum wouldn't know where to start, just because I chose CHEAP ABS to repair my module then what do you know about them as a fly by night, read about BBA and other they don't got 100% perfect record either some fail as well, but can say we all learn say some easy and hard way. As in you can't judge by the cover of the book, just like look up in BBB to check them out and word of the mouth what more can you do. As i say maybe I word it wrong or I'm wrong the only other to do is wait for the repair do and repost here.
Old 03-24-2012, 10:59 AM
resident, old fart

You know what? I have been there and done that. I never said any vendor of anything was 100%, but I have written about ATE several times and so have others, so if you sent one off to them, you were forwarned. I don't know whether Cheap ABS is any good or not. There is nothing much about them. Never even heard of them (that says something right there) BUT if you want to be the first...go for it. Those of us that have already been through ATE, BBA, and others can only share what our experiences were. Someone had to be the first to use Module Masters or BBA so if you want to sacrifice your unit so that we all can learn aboout Cheap ABS-go for it. If I owned a re-building business I would NEVER want to be known for being the cheapest anything...tell me about your quality. BBA has a documented history of pretty good results and very fair pricing. ATE told me my module was 100% three times! Shipped it back and forth and each time they said it was PERFECT. BBA said my module was toast and FUBAR on top of that. They charged me not one nickel for the diagnosis and paid the shipping back to me on their dime. That is where I am coming from. Many other stories just like mine. I get a PM a week asking for my help with ATE to get a refund after people have tried going back and forth with them even getting someone else's re-built module and that one was no good. I bought a new one from EAC and it coded perfect and is in my car to this day. I developed a repoire with Don, the owner of ATE, and I can usually drop him a note and get people refunds who have been seeking a refund for over a year! Ask Fizaks on the bimmerforum what I did for him. Last week, I helped someone else. YMMV. Use whoever you want.

I just never want to hear that they was nothing on this forum leading them where to go based on many, many results BEE has recorded. I have come to the conclusion and I know Blue Bee is there as well (but has more patience than I) that despite the days of work she has done compiling the best ABS module info you will probably find in the United States and people are too lazy to read or go off on their own and then come here to bemoan their "bad luck". I, for one, am sick of hearing about it when people don't avail themselves of the data given.

BLUE BEE: Question....how many people have read you master ABS module "epistle"? What is the current count of readers? I'll rest my case there when Bee answers.

Last edited by 540iman; 03-24-2012 at 11:02 AM.
Old 03-24-2012, 11:48 AM

I understand where you going

540iman....no hard feeling here, I know everyone had a choice maybe most would pick BBA or what not, me might just decide to try Cheap ABS cause I email them before I sent it and that went well and check web site out and talk again with them today that my module make it and now told me 5 to 7 days I could get it back and they will let me know what being done once they complete repair. And for Bluebee I read almost every post he add and I too respect his answer as in other also, I could not be more happy with this forum, but when someone going to bit at my end of my post, they will get it back the same. I'm new here since Nov.2011 and still learning about BMW but love the car. So far been lucky so far this module been my only bigger problem I had.
Old 03-24-2012, 03:36 PM
resident, old fart

We all benefit if someone goes outside the forum's common experience and finds something good and new. Kuykendall, go for it and we all hope for the best. Regards 4thBMW, your experience was exactly like mine which is why I tried to push folks another way. You didn't heed my posts about ATE and I really do get people emailing me regularly asking if I can intercede with ATE to get them a refund. Had another instance just like yours last week. Guy sent his module back and forth to ATE 3 times each time ATE claiming his module had no faults. Finally ATE sent the guy a re-built module from someone else's car (your module will likely go on the shelf as a good, saleable modiule and will become someone else's nightmare) and that one too was no good and he returned it to ATE but was not getting his money back. He emailed me-I called Don, and he should have gotten his money by now. I had Don's word on it. Why someone would continue to use them is beyond me...If they get lucky you have no problem, but when they get certain errors, their test machine says bad modules are good. BBA checks same "good" modules from ATE and says module has two out of three faults. I would love to be able to recommend ATE, but based on many experiences, they have a customer service problem. If 4th BMW read Bees posts, he would stay clear. He did not and here he is. I have no issue with anyone using a new vendor and reporting back their experience, but when this forum has posted issues a mile long with ATE and people still send their units there-I don't get it...

Last edited by 540iman; 03-24-2012 at 03:37 PM.
Old 03-24-2012, 04:05 PM

very well said

I understand where you coming from, what you just said need not been said any better, hope I will be able to show what I learn too, guess now give it a week and then report back on my module to see where they stand; Thank Mark
Old 03-24-2012, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thBMW View Post
should have been a tip off to check the pressure sensor
For the crosslinked record, a "/brake pressure sensor" search in the bestlinks brings up this:
- ABS BRAKE DSC trifecta brake pressure sensor diagnostic test DIY (1)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	trifecta.png
Views:	700
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	318364  

Last edited by bluebee; 03-24-2012 at 11:01 PM.
Old 03-24-2012, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 540iman View Post
YBLUE BEE: Question....how many people have read you master ABS module "epistle"?
What is the current count of readers?
Hi Bill,

To date, there have been over 180 thousand "views" (we could 'guestimate' roughly about 150 thousand individual readers).

This is an astronomical number if you consider that having ten or twenty thousand views would be considered a large number of readers. The number of readers, averaged over the life of the thread, is roughly between 150 to 200 new readers every day.

I'd 'guess' that this thread is in the top ten most often read threads in the entire E39 forum (although I have no statistics other than the thread count to go by). This tells me that there must be other sites linking to this thread, and perhaps even a google algorithmic search-result-sort that is bringing this thread to the top of search results ... simply because that number far exceeds the readership of most threads in this forum.

Last edited by bluebee; 03-24-2012 at 11:08 PM.
Old 03-25-2012, 04:12 AM
4th BMW

RE: 540iman

I guess I missed something. If I had seen some very discouraging reviews of ATE, I would have steered away. In my haste to fix, I must have read the wrong posts. That said, ATE tested my unit, reported it had an unrepairable memory failure. They sold me a repaired and tested unit which did code into my car. They also returned my original module that I had sent in for repair. I asked if they wanted my original for a core and they declined. If for some reason my original unit ATE returned to me does not sync up to my car, working intermittently as it did, they will have some explaining to do.
Old 03-25-2012, 07:21 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1997 540i6
FWIW, I had two separate experiences with my ABS. Each time a different indy shop said my ABS module was bad. In both cases I was able to narrow it down to a bad ABS wheel sensor.

o 1997 540i6 o Dinan supercharger system o Dinan stage 3 suspension system o Dinan wheels o UUC EVO3 SSK/DSSR o M-Tech illuminated shifter o M5 3.15 LSD o Cubic trim o Gauge rings o OEM In-dash CD o Ultimate pedals o Hella AE's o M-Sport Steering Wheel o 400 RWHP o
Old 03-28-2012, 03:37 PM

Wow got my module back

Hi guy, just wanted to let you know that my module came in today just got home and was sitting in the door now waiting on wife to get home to install it. So that was quick than I was thinking it took right at a week and very happy to see it back, will let you know more detail when all done......hoping it took care of my problem with the light on the dash and speedo working again....... well soon as she come home I'm out there working on that.
Old 03-28-2012, 06:43 PM

happy bimmer now

Ok back on now, and finish the car with the repair module after install it went for a long ride to check to make sure it working right, now the speedo working and the mpg guage also work, so Cheap ABS made me a happy bimmer today. I did not get the report back from them about what was wrong or what was repair as soon as I get the report will update again. Again going to hook up my carsoft 6.5 this weekend and to replace a speed sensor in right rear wheel accord to my last report showing it bad. so lucky me that things working out a lot cheaper than thinking.....
Old 03-28-2012, 10:15 PM

Mein Auto: Z4M Coupe, 540i,Silverado
Cheap ABS it is

I've been living with my ABS light on to long, I just contacted them via the form and will be sending my module there within a few days...Thanks again I asked for expedited shipping at $99 for the Module repair I am still ahead of the game...
Old 03-31-2012, 08:41 AM
resident, old fart

This has really got to be my final post regarding ATE. Please pay attention. ATE has done proper repairs many times. ATE has sent supposedly GOOD modules to at least a half dozen people (including self) after several back and forths to ATE where each time they said module was good. Module would NOT code or work repeatedly and then had big issues with C/S to get a refund. One over a year. I know because I eventually got him his money. I know the owner and I believe he is 100% committed to doing the right thing. Everytime I have had to get involved, they have come through. I thing owner has passion to do right thing, but workers may be getting a different message and jacking people around.

MY GUESS AND MY GUESS ONLY: One of their tests is flawed. It shows ATE a module is good and it is not. OR, they don't test something they should and a bad module slips through as good.
They can do good work and have, but when the train gets off the track, it can stay derailed for some time and your frustration level MAY rise significantly seeking resolution. I recommend BBA, but ALL can F-up. No one is perfect...not even module masters who would be my #1 choice if price were not an issue. I am leaning away from re-builds to buy new unless cost and re-coding absolutely is an issue. If money is an issue, try the re-build route and recommend BBA or Module masters. Sounds like we may have anyother choice if Cheap ABS gets a few more successes under their belt. Thanks for being guinea pig kuykendall! It has to start somewhere. I just lack the nuts to be the first! Too old to try new position :-) IF YOU USE ATE AND HAVE ISSUES, SPEAK TO DON by phone or email don@autoecu.com. Good luck and if I never talk about another ABS module I will die happy. Take aim haters, I'm looking at a turbo Kia OPTIMA blasphemous I know, but 60 miles each way to work. 540ia only gets 26 MPG avg. on the trip. Anyone looking for a sweet 540 ia sport 2002 in Topaz blue with black leather. All options except nav and heated steering wheel. DSP and business CD. 115K Pass through trunk Absolutely no issues. Took care of my ABS Hah!

Bill
Old 03-31-2012, 01:35 PM

Talking Still happy with Cheap ABS

Hey guy, I only want to get my module repair and did a lot of research, just like the rest of you and I read about BBB, ATE, and Master module hear good and bad but not holding anything against them, then decide to look outside of the page also and that why I chose Cheap ABS... and I didn't know if I make a good choice or bad, I was worry too on what did I just do but my gut tell me why not, because in bimmerfest couldn't find nothing on Cheap ABS, so things went great took them 1 week from shipping it offf to getting it back took less than 7 min. to install and start the car went for a ride and wow it working now, here is what was not working speedo, auto door lock, mpg reading, abs light on, as well brake light, so as of now I will tell anyone that who I will do business with now.So if anyone thinking of them here the address:
ABS Module Repair
Bosch ABS Specialist
www.cheap-ABS.com

Matt Mallory
Electrial Engineer
434-298-4150
matt@cheap-ABS.com
Old 03-31-2012, 02:19 PM
resident, old fart

Nothing I said was aimed at you. I congratulated you on finding another good source. Just trying to warn others who reported good luck with ATE. At ease, soldier!
Old 04-01-2012, 10:09 AM

Mein Auto: 525i (E39)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebee View Post
Since they're not of the top three, let us know in this thread how you made out with them:
- Summary of all known ABS control module rebuilder options & new suppliers with prices (1)

Also ask them, while your ABS is on their test jig, what they do (i.e., what they test, what they replace, and what they found).

We'd all learn from your effort.
As an FYI, AutoECU had to redo mine. Jury is out on 2nd rebuild as I'm waiting for weather to get better and swap wheels sensors to see if it's working right finally. And I asked them both times and they would not tell me what the issue was either time. Both times was just told an internal fault. I don't like that. I wanted to know.
Old 04-01-2012, 01:59 PM
resident, old fart

Hate to say it, but more than likely when you put it in it won't work. Then the battle starts for a refund. Don, the owner of ATE has always said that you can talk to the technician that worked on your unit and find out what was wrong with it...guess that has gone by the wayside too. Shipping units that don't work back to customers has been ATE's biggest legacy. Best try it sooner than later.
Old 04-01-2012, 06:52 PM

Mein Auto: 525i (E39)
I think you're right. Getting odd readings after swapping out the sensor.

while checking the ABS/DSC modjule check, it said incorrect LWS ID. I never got that message, even when I checked in last few days, and several weeks ago. All I did was swap speed sensors. I reset that error and then I got incorrect steering wheel calibration 103 error (which I think is vanos code), but I was in the ABS module when I got it. I reset that error and so far it's sticking with unknown asc2 code 9. In the ABS/DSC module check, it's staying with code 32 right front wheel sensor.