Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 03-24-2012, 05:43 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 335i Convertible
Possessed X3 28i: won't shut off, lights flashing, window washers spraying

My sister-in-law's 2011 X3 freaked out last night.

She was leaving the grocery store when the windows washers just started spraying and wouldn't stop. By the time she drove 1 mile the headlights were flashing.

She made it home and was not able to cut off the engine. She had a neighbor come over and he couldn't do anything with it either. They tried to disconnect the battery but were unable, for some reason. At about this point gurgling adn whining noises started. Keep in mind this was around 10pm in a townhome community so the neighbors were not happy.

A tow truck came (dispatched by BMW) but wouldn't put it on his truck because he felt it wasn't safe.

After about 4 hours the engine finally shut off. Then after another hour everything else died. I assume the battery finally gave up.

They called another tow truck who has taken it to the dealer.

Anyone ever heard of anything like this?
Ads by Google
Old 03-24-2012, 08:11 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '06 X3
No, but I had an Acura that wouldn't shut off once. Drove it to a mech who pulled a wire and that shut it off. Horrible experience I can really appreciate sis's feelings. Please let us know what the dealer tells you about this. I hope she still trusts the car too. I traded my Acura because of the problem for a Tahoe.
Old 03-24-2012, 11:18 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 335i Convertible
So far, the dealer is saying it looks like a junction box that has completely failed.
Old 03-24-2012, 11:20 AM
Happily Driving

Mein Auto: 2011 550i M Sport
Wow!!!!

On Order: 2014 550i M Sport, European Delivery May 2014

Gone, but not forgotten:
2006 530i
, European Delivery June 2005
2008 335i Coupe 6MT, PCD November 2007

BMWCCA #350568
Old 03-25-2012, 11:04 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X3 MSport 3.0d
Power failure

Had the same happen with a brand new Mini once. Brought it home from the Dealer and couldn't lock the doors. Eventually cleared itself. However later on in the evening went out to check the car and found all the windows and sun roof had opened spontaneously in pouring rain! Called out BMW recovery who towed car to Dealer where it stayed for a week - fault eventually found to be a loose connection on one of the rear lights. Dealer said, that as everything is linked through the wiring loom, the on board computer had misread the fault.
Didn't keep the car long as had no confidence that fault would not re-occur.
Old 03-26-2012, 12:43 AM
Ukemi - that's how I roll

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi S4 2010 MT MCS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Sanford View Post
Had the same happen with a brand new Mini once. Brought it home from the Dealer and couldn't lock the doors. Eventually cleared itself. However later on in the evening went out to check the car and found all the windows and sun roof had opened spontaneously in pouring rain! Called out BMW recovery who towed car to Dealer where it stayed for a week - fault eventually found to be a loose connection on one of the rear lights. Dealer said, that as everything is linked through the wiring loom, the on board computer had misread the fault.
Didn't keep the car long as had no confidence that fault would not re-occur.
That is a load of crap response. That is what interlock relays are for, that and to prevent you from killing yourself with hi voltage.

I had BMW try to tell me that by installing a car stereo it was the reason the transmission was not working correctly. I told them they were full of $%++ point blank. If their electrical systems were that delicate then they could take the car back.

Make sure you document this very carefully. If the vehicle is in the shop for a protracted amount of time...lemon it. If it goes in for same thing 3-4 times..lemon it. The problem with issues like this is they have a cascading effect and once one thing goes they take others with it. Especially something like this.

BMW will make good, but they are sticklers for details...like most Germans (I am Suisse..I know). Beat them at their own game and document, document, document. They will finally go ok (get you a new toy) if you can show them (and a lawyer) that you let them try to fix it with no success.

Good Luck if you need help, pm me (not a lawyer, but beat them several times at their own game).
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
1984 GTI Wolfsburg Edition Neuspeed and more
Old 03-26-2012, 06:38 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 M-Sport
Isn't this the appropriate time to hit the BMW 'sos' button and transmit the fault to the mother ship?
Old 03-26-2012, 02:10 PM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
That may have been effected as well! It will be intesting to see what they come up with and how long it takes. As Evl so aptly puts it -- document, document, and document your dealings on something like this.